Anyone out there on disability? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone out there on disability? Anyone out there on disability?

Unread 06-14-2003, 12:52 PM
Anyone out there on disability?

Hi ladies! It's been a while since I've been here. I have a good friend who knows how much pain I've been in. She suggested talking with my doc about going on disability. Just wondering if any of you ladies are on disability due to medical problems. Thanking you in advance.
Sandy
Lavh for severe prolapse
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-14-2003, 04:12 PM

Sandy! I am not on disability, but resigned from my job in January after being on STD for 4 months. There is no way I could commit to a full time job. I have MPS/FMS and who knows how I will feel from day to day. I think there are some ladies here that have been through the process. Hopefully, one of them will be along shortly to share their story with you. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
Unread 06-15-2003, 10:43 AM

I replied to this already but I don't see it...so I will repeat myself.....sorry if the first post comes through....

I went on SDI during my hyst and fistula repair but because of the work I do I went back to work 6 weeks post op from the fistula repair and shouldn't have. I was NEVER able to perform up to my standards because I JUST didn't feel well. UTI's, RLS, headache and pain. Because of me going back I lost my SDI but am currently trying to get re-instated.

There is no way I can work because I never know how I will feel day to day....as I still have some very bad days with pain, and fatigue.

I should have NEVER gone back and now I'm kicking myself for being a "nice guy" because I do taxes and they needed me so much I went back too soon. Because of that I lost my job because I called in sick and didn't do my job to my ability....

Good luck.
Renee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-15-2003, 02:53 PM

Hi Sandy,

I am on Short-term disability since middle of May. I have been in a lot of pain due to fibroids, endometriosis, bladder problems, and a kidney cyst. I have been on pain meds as needed. My doctor took me off work to further investigate my pain. When I went to the Gyn, she agreed that being off work right now is best. STD last for 12 weeks. And I'm having surgery on June 25(TAVH and Bladder work). I will be back at work at the 6week post op time. It has really helped me being off because I never sat down at work and alot of lifting. I started having so much pain that I was getting dizzy and nausea. If you can, I would do it. You just need to talk to you doctor. Hope everything goes great!!

Diane
Unread 06-16-2003, 02:45 AM

((Sandy)),
I am on my 3rd week of STD & after Aug 5th will roll over into Long Term Disability. Mine is from several conditions & complications that arose after my Hyst My benefits are paid thru my Companies Ins benefits. You can also apply for Disability thru the Gov't. Here are some sites/info on filing for Disability along w/ some info that has been of help to me...Good Luck

Disability_ benefits:
  Quote:
list]
1._ Initial application - Every claim for disability benefits begins with the initial application. 75% of all applicants are denied at this step._ SSA looks for a reason to deny benefits._ The decision is based on forms you completed and medical records, you won't meet with anyone involved in making the decision._ It is surprising when anyone wins at this step._ Don't quit--You must appeal a denial within 60 days.

2._ Reconsideration - The second step in the system but the results are worse._ 82% of all applicants are denied at this level._ SSA reviews your file again and issues a denial, unfortunately it may take months to receive._ At this step, only 50% of the original applicants are still in the system, the rest gave up._ Appeal the denial immediately. Up to this point in the system you have been a social security number and a file._

3._ Request for Hearing before Administrative Law Judge - Congratulations! You have persevered in the system and now have a good chance to win benefits._ 53% of all claimants win at this stage!_ Why?_ Primarily because your claim is entitled to a de novo or new review by a Judge who knows the law and does not work for SSA._ Also, you get to testify before the Judge about your inability to work and she/he assesses your credibility._ Finally, hopefully you have obtained opinions from your doctors about your inability to work._ You must win your case at the hearing stage; if you do not, you can appeal but your claim will be tied up perhaps for years with the likelihood of success dramatically reduced.

Increase your odds of Winning:

Now that you have an understanding of how the system works, here are some tips on how you can_ maximize your chance for success.[list]
1._ Appeal every Denial - It bears repeating, DO NOT QUIT after receiving a denial._ Now you understand you must get to a hearing._ Up to that point SSA and the odds are overwhelmingly against you - receiving a denial may be cause to celebrate because you’re a step closer to a hearing.

2.*** Retain a Disability Attorney - Retaining an attorney who specializes in disability law should substantially increase your odds of winning._ Most claimants have no idea what they need to prove to win their case._ Practically all disability attorneys work on a contingency fee - you only pay a fee if you win your case._ Also, Federal law sets the maximum amount the fee can be in your case._ An attorney will develop your case by obtaining the necessary medical and vocational records and opinions from your doctors that are critical in proving disability._

3._ Completing Social Security Forms - You will complete a dizzying array of forms requesting all sorts of information._ Be honest and very brief when completing forms._ You won't win your case with the information you give on the forms but you could lose it.

4._ Involve your Treating Physician - Your treating physician is critical to success._ Judges give a treating physician's opinion regarding a patient’s disability tremendous weight._ If your physician is not sympathetic to your claim you may want to make a change to one who is. The purpose of this article is to convey hope that you can win your case and obtain benefits with perseverance and knowledge of the system._ Please do not give up. . . appeal and keep fighting!
Laws and Regulations:
http://www.4women.gov/wwd/wwd.cfm?page=58

www.DisabilityInfo.gov

The Appeals Process:
Employee Information
If you have a disability, you must satisfy the employer's requirements for the jobs, such as education, employment experiences, or skills. You must also be able to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Reasonable accommodation is any change or adjustment to a job or work environment that permits a qualified applicant or employee with a disability to participate in the job application process, to perform the essential functions of a job, or to enjoy benefits and privileges of employment equal to those enjoyed by employees without disabilities.

What You Need To Know When You Get Disability Benefits: - This on-line resource discusses disability benefits, changes that can affect your benefits, reviews your disability case and tips on helping you return to work.
http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10153.html

National Study of Women with Physical Disabilities - These studies have begun to shed some light on the types of conditions people with disabilities experience as they age and on secondary prevention, that is, ways in which people with disabilities can get information on their options for medications, therapies, or lifestyle changes that could help them avoid acquiring new health problems that may or may not be directly related to their primary disability.
http://www.bcm.tmc.edu/crowd/nationa...nal_study.html
[/quote]

Job Termination Due to Pelvic Pain:
http://www.wdxcyber.com/law/nhelaw06.htm

Social Security Administration:
http://www.ssa.gov/disability/

Hope this is of some help Good Luck w/ everything...pls keep us posted...(((hugs)))
Unread 06-16-2003, 07:56 AM
i am on disability

hi, i am on disability, i was in 2 car accidents in the past 6yrs and had a failed neck surgery..had a hyster a yr ago (its been a nightmare yr).anyway, i could never work again in my life.i owned my own hair salon none the less prior to all this.anyway, i took me six months and lots of drs to help me get the disability. you have to be checked out by disabilities dr. the people that grant you the disability have their own drs.then it is based on also what "your" own drs havefound with you that makes you a candidate for disability. its not easy to get on. they have to feel you are not physically or emotionally fit for not working.sometimes they deny you the first time and you have to reapply again. you dont have to be paralyed or wheel chair bound for disability to accept you case.i am not in a wheel chair etc. i have chronic pain(neck and back) which enables me not to work. standing for long peroids of time or sitting for a long time or bending over causes me more pain too much to be able to work plus the hyster destroyed me...good luck i hope it works out for you..chris

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register