Chemo 4 Postponed Again Due to Perilously Low Counts | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Chemo 4 Postponed Again Due to Perilously Low Counts Chemo 4 Postponed Again Due to Perilously Low Counts

Unread 06-16-2003, 02:50 PM
Chemo 4 Postponed Again Due to Perilously Low Counts

I went in this morning for my blood work, hoping that the platelets had gone up a bit and that my shiny new high white count would hold. But no.

My white count -- which was 2.8 with neutrophils of 28 until I had five Neupogen shots that boosted it to 13.9 with neutrophils of 60 -- has dropped to 1.3 with neutrophils of 55. It was really fun to hear my doctor say, "If we gave you chemo now, it could kill you." The nurse then had to talk to me about protecting myself and preventing infection.

There's nothing I can do now except wait. I had no idea that Neupogen was so temporary. I asked why they couldn't do the chemo when my white count got up to 13.9, and they said they have to wait to see where it settles, because it can be so temporary.

The doctor -- who I spoke with on the phone after the nurses called him -- said that they will probably have to lower my dose. He said they'd given me three really huge doses, which is favorable. But I'm concerned that the doses will now be lowered.

Today was Day 28, and the recommended cycle time for Taxol/Carboplatin is 21-28 days. So I am now officially way off cycle. Are there any implications to that? If I can't do chemo for another two weeks, what does that mean for me? And what does lowering the dose mean for me?

Couple all of this with the fact that I found out my ex is now dating some new girl, which kind of sent me into a crying "why me?" jag for a few days, and you can see why I'm cranky. I think I might ask for a referral to a therapist. This week, in particular, I'm having more trouble coping than usual.

Help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-16-2003, 03:13 PM

Hi
My chemo #4 was postponed again & again because I had a DVT (deep vein blood clot) one week before it was due. I had to get my INR (clotting time) in therapuetic level before the next chemo. This took 2 extra weeks and many blood tests. I too was so very worried that the little cancer buggers were growing & laughing at me while I waited for chemo. I finally had #4chemo 41days after #3.

My onclolgist said that although the span was not the optimal time suggested, the chemo was stiff effective. Also he stated that if chemo is given when blood counts aren't in the required parameters, you could be permantly harmed. Much like your doctor said, it could kill you.

So, I know the wait is horrible. But there really isn't an alternative. We just have to let our bodies catch up with the chemo.

Hang in there. Vent anytime. We understand.

Ruth S
Unread 06-16-2003, 03:49 PM

Well, Siren, that bites! It's not the update we were hoping to hear (neither, of course, was it the one you wanted to share with us). We'll just have to continue praying for you, which, consider it done!

This reminds me of a quote I read recently attributed to Mother Theresa: "I know God doesn't give me any more than I can handle but sometimes I wish he didn't have such faith in me."

Seriously, keep the faith. We're here for you. God bless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-16-2003, 05:00 PM
Counts are So Darn Frustrating!

But the Dr. is right--at those levels, you could be endangered by chemo, as the counts would plunge again. Then you'd wind up in the hospital at best. Just gotta be patient and give them time.
Now as to the lowered dose. I had this happen to me this last go-round with carboplatin only. The regular dose just totally blew my counts. So the Dr. lowered the dose. The cancer responded spectacularly to the lowered dose-- CA125 just kept going down and down and down. I wish I could've had the full dose, but my counts can't handle it. I had to go both times very early on to a 4 week schedule--couldn't recover on three, barely on 4 weeks. So you're not alone in this--it's frustrating because you want it done and over with and on time--but our bodies don't always follow the schedule.
Unread 06-16-2003, 05:55 PM

Sorry your counts were too low. I know how hard it is to have treatment postponed or the plan changed. I hope you will be able to have your treatment too. Rest and hang in there.
Unread 06-16-2003, 06:08 PM

s SirenSong

I am so sorry to read this. I'd be cranky too!!!
Just try your best to be patient and do something enjoyable each day. In the meantime you will be in my thoughts and prayers.
And like the nurse said, take extra special care of yourself.

karenann
Unread 06-16-2003, 06:40 PM
What is considered low dose?

Here's mine: Paclitaxel 266 mg Caboplatin 588 mg - 1st round, 266/624 second, 266/667, 266/617, 264/617 for the fifth. The readings for the 6th is missing. Jo
Unread 06-16-2003, 07:25 PM
Oh Sirensong,

I'm so sorry to hear (read) your post. I know it is very frustrating to have to wait even longer, but you know as well as I do the waiting is the hardest part. I'm not sure what the implications are for waiting even longer.

Do something fun to get your mind off of this, and remember his loss, you are a wonderful terrific woman with a good heart. You will meet the man of your dreams one day, when you least expect it. Isn't that what everyone says. Have some ice cream. Enjoy the sun, do something fun!!

Remember you can come here and vent all you want, that's what we are here for.

's and ers to you...
Unread 06-16-2003, 07:38 PM

Siren:

I'm so sorry that your chemo was cancelled. Mine, too. I hope that you can rest and get stronger to have the next one.

Don't worry about being cranky. The ex dating someone else could make anyone cranky. Look at all the other things that you have going on...any one of them would make a person unhappy.

When I was disappointed last week, I had some cake with chocolate frosting. It really helped. Would you like me to send you some?

Remember, we are all here to help each other. Go ahead and vent anytime you want.

Extra prayers for you from me.
Unread 06-16-2003, 07:45 PM
I See A Handsome Dr. in your Future

SirenSong,

Sorry to hear about your counts being too low to receive your chemo. Just a thought--have you explored the issue of any possible impact that the MJ may be having on your immune system? I did a google search and it appears from a quick glance at a couple of the hits I pulled up that one of its side effects is suppression of the immune system.

As for the guy, as I recall you said you broke it off with him, no? Have the reasons you ended the relationship disappeared? If not, I'd set my sights on one of those little "fledglings" as I call those med students that follow my gyn-onc around on a regular basis. I can't tell you how many stories I've read about romances that developed during or after cancer treatment. Make sure to keep an open mind about these things!

Good luck on having good counts and a good med student soon.

MoeKay

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register