Chemo 4 Postponed Again Due to Perilously Low Counts - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Chemo 4 Postponed Again Due to Perilously Low Counts Chemo 4 Postponed Again Due to Perilously Low Counts

Unread 06-16-2003, 08:09 PM
Chemo 4 Postponed Again Due to Perilously Low Counts

Everyone --

Thank you all so much for your prayers and support. It's been a weepy week. What surprises me the most is that my count was 2.8 before Neupogen, then 13.9 after, and now it's 1.3. Why did it go down so low? I've been eating tons of protein (omelettes with turkey or chicken with some cheese and spinach, etc., etc.), so I thought that would help. But it's not. I may not be able to do 8 treatments now. :-(

MoeKay --

I haven't done any research about that, but I will. I only smoked four times this past chemo -- hardly at all, and that was weeks ago. So I don't think that would do much. But you never know! My nurse said it happens all the time, usually around the fourth chemo. As for the man situation, I totally had a crush on one "fledgling," but he was doing a three-month stint in gyn/onc, and he's gone now. He was fun to flirt with because he was always smiling and happy and called me sunshine and sweetheart. (Remember, though, that my dad is a doctor. They are often seriously logic-Mr.-Spock-heads!)

TammyDW --

You're right, and thanks for the kind words. It's just hard. It would be for anybody. I'm just not feeling like anyone is going to want to date the bald girl. I will let you all know if some random miracle happens, though. :-)

Jochan --

I don't even know how much I'm getting. It's too late to call now, but I will call tomorrow. The number 321 seems to come to mind, at least for the Taxol.

Quiltcrazy44 --

I hope your pneumonia is better by Thursday so you can get that last pesky chemo out of the way! A woman sat across from me in the waiting area this morning and reiterated that sugar is a cancer feeder. So . . . I'm trying to cut down. But cake sounds heavenly!

Margaret321 --

Thanks for letting me know that the low doses worked. I'd like to smack my CA125 down a bit more. Maybe lower doses for longer will be in my plan. The chemo doctor and I will have to work that out, I guess. I wish I could take Vitamin C! Maybe that would help. But that's a no.

RuthS --

Your "stiff effective" typo was just too perfect. I want the chemo to be "stiff effective" and "still effective!" ;-)

Maureenie, ShepardPal, Karenann --

Thanks for being there, and for all your prayers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-16-2003, 09:39 PM

The guy, regardless of how it ended, it is his loss, you are a terrific gal.

But most of all, take care of your self. Did you say that your wbc went from 13.something to 1.3. Did you ask your doc to have them re run the test. (Iam thinking typo on person putting the numbers in the computer, or it was misread) Wouldn't hurt to ask, I mean your neutrphils stayed close and such a drop in the overall wbc. JMHO.
Unread 06-16-2003, 10:21 PM

They ran the test by computer and then again manually. I think they were kind of shocked as well. I seriously wondered how that could be possible. I feel fine, and I honestly don't understand how the WBC could have gone down so much. I am going to call the doctor tomorrow to go over a few questions that I have. I will definitely add this one to the list. :-)

Thanks for the "boy" encouragement. I guess when you're going through something, it's kind of hard to also go through a breakup. God will bring me someone better. I know He will.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-16-2003, 11:50 PM

Hi, sweetie! Wish you had better news to give us!

All I have to say about the guy situation is that no one deserves you who can't see the graceful and strong woman you are, bald head or not! But it's good to go through the "weepies" so you can move on. Definitely stinks that those counts are not cooperating.

I've begun to think, after working with oncology patients through the years, that few get through such heavy-duty stuff without at least one delay. Your body does need to catch up, though!

Have you asked about Neulasta? Supposedly a different mechanism to bring up those white blood cells. Eating protein helps with the red blood cells (and that spinach may help with clotting, all that vitamin K). But manufacturing white blood cells is a function of the lymphatic and immune systems.

Do be careful about infections. Sometimes it's the silliest things that you don't think of, either, like a small cut that isn't immediately washed, or leftovers that you didn't heat up enough. I know you know this, and I hope the oncology nurses reviewed all this with you (?) You have masks at home? They're not perfect, but they do help, as do towelettes for shopping carts and the like.

LMK if there's anything I can do. Certainly if anything merited some Haagen-Daaz, I think this would be it...

Giant, but gentle s and I that this improves for you ASAP!. Now is time for all the creative visualization you can muster...and when that fails, escapist reading often works .

And remember, he didn't deserve YOU!

Audrey
Unread 06-17-2003, 08:51 PM
sorry and thinking of you.

Siren, I read your post and I'm sorry, I didn't know what to say. I guess I'm a better listener. You have been in my thoughts and prayers as usual. Everyone has such good advice. I like the Ben and Jerry's kind of treatment myself and polished off the rest of a pint as my hair came out in droves. For my Taxol, they wrote 175 and Carbo dose as 7.5.
Please know that I wish you all of the best.
Unread 06-18-2003, 06:22 AM

Don't Go Bananas Now.... Siren.

I always considered myself a very strong person and then you came along onto this board. You always had an answer, a reaction, a thought, and and idea on how to help everyone else.

Now is the time that we need to help you. Take some deep breaths and chalk the whole thing up to a minor setback. I DO know what that is like. Remember it happened to me right before my sons wedding. I soooo wanted to be chemo free before the wedding and before starting a new school year, but it did not happen. But everything turned out for the best even though, at the time, I did not want to realize or admit it.

And remember, if all else fails......Those hot fudge sundaes work wonders!!!!

Rosalie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register