Postponed my surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Postponed my surgery Postponed my surgery

Unread 06-16-2003, 09:05 PM
Postponed my surgery

We must be having the intense summerof 2003. My husband had a kidney tumor removed 6/2--turned out to be benign. Hurrah. But he lost a lot of blood--so he is too weak to get back here for my post-surgery care. He is in Europe visiting his family. So, then his sister got a disc problem and she may need surgery--since she just divorced, he feels that he should stay and help her for at least one week if she goes through with the operation. Then, on Sat. his father died.

What the heck is going on here?? Meanwhile, I am crying into my pillow that I have cancer and need to have my gut cut open--am concerned because Idon't know what stage I am in---am worried that my surgeon wants to take out ALL the lymph nodes in my pelvis--and I am worried that if I am one of the 92% of the people who survive endometrial cancer--I will have chonic lymphedema to contend with. (found out today that 30% of women get it after having these lymph nodes removed) I keep trying to be positive--I want to live and see my son married off and have grandchildren and all that good stuff.

My son committed today to come home right after he is in one of his best friend's wedding--so I am waiting for a new date from my surgeon that will coincide when my son can come and take care of me post-op.

It seems to be a very inconvenient time for me to get cancer.
Thanks for letting me vent. I am trying to not worry, this life and death worry is pretty intense. My second opinion is tomorrow.

Best wishes to all of you, ALana
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-16-2003, 09:28 PM
I

I know how you feel. Cancer is never convient, Period. But I can under stand how you feel. I am glad that you will have someone there when you do have the surgery. Take care and God Bless.
Unread 06-17-2003, 07:41 AM
Postponed my surgery

Just want to pass along my prayers and best wishes for you. Jeez, there's a lot going on in your family now! When it rains, it pours. As far as your scheduling your surgery, just a thought: you might want to consider home care nursing for a few days after the surgery if if looks like the alternative is a further long delay. Good luck with your second opinion and talk to your Dr. about your lymphedema concerns. See what he/she has to say.

God bless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-17-2003, 12:15 PM
Postponed my surgery

2003 seems to be a weird year for a lot of people. I had an emergency appendectomy on January 2, then got robbed at gunpoint in my driveway a few weeks later, then wasn't healing right from the appendectomy . . . so got diagnosed with cancer, then lost my ability to have kids while having major surgery, then started chemo. And my dad have to have his gallbladder removed the week before my surgery.

It's been a weird year. I am trying to be open to what it has to teach me.

I'm sorry you had to postpone your surgery, but I hope it's a short postponement. You need to get that stuff out of you as fast as you can. I hope you have friends nearby who can help so you don't have to delay too long while your husband and son are away.

I tend to cry a lot for an entire week, then not cry for several weeks. It all depends. Postponements make me cry. Maybe it's the feeling of helplessness when I'm trying to be so proactive in doing all the right things. It's like the rug gets pulled out from under you.

Can you ask your doctor not to remove so many lymph nodes? I don't know enough about your specific situation to know why sometimes a lot of nodes are removed whereas other times not many are removed. I think my doctor took out three or four; one came back positive, and the others were negative. Since I still have most of my nodes, though, I will avoid lymphedema. Pester him with some whys and wherefores. Maybe they won't have to remove quite as many.

Please let us know when your surgery will be rescheduled, and please don't wait too long. We'll all rooting for you!
Unread 06-17-2003, 01:34 PM
Postponed my surgery

Hi Alana....

You really have alot on your plate right now but I am sure that things will fall into place.

My son had just gotten engaged when I got the news that I need a hytserectomy and that there was a very good chance that the tumor on my ovary was cancerous.

Well to make a very long story short, I had the surgery, it was cancerous, I had chemo, planned a bridal shower for my then, future daughter in law, worked full time, wore a very sexy gown to the wedding, had the time of my life, and wore a wig that was soo great no one knew I was wearing a wig except for my very very close family and friends, and am hoping that grandchildren will be here in the near future because I am now stronger and healthier than ever!!

Just be strong and think of ALL the wonderful things you have to look forward to in life. I too, hit some bumpy roads along the way, but in the end, it is smoothing out.

Take care.
Rosalie
Unread 06-17-2003, 01:42 PM
Postponed my surgery

Hi Alana,

Jeez, I'm so sorry to hear about the challenges in your life right now. Hang in there, and try to take it day by day. It does make it difficult to concentrate on important decisions when there is so much to think about.

Please talk to your doctors about the lymphedema, and remember that if 30% get it, 70% don't! It may be worth it for your peace of mind. As SirenSong mentioned though, perhaps they can take fewer lymph nodes if you discuss your concerns.

To Rosalie and SirenSong, I always knew you were strong ladies, but your stories show me that you are all even stronger than I ever knew.

Good luck Alana

Beth
Unread 06-21-2003, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the support

I have now found out why the oncologist wants to take all the lymph nodes--a study showed that when they did not--when the endo adeno had not penetrated the uterus 50%---later on 7% of the women turned out to have cancerous lymph nodes.

I checked on thurs about what happens to the 5-7% who have cancer in the lymph nodes and she told me that their survival rate is very low. So, I have opted to go ahead and have all the nodes removed on 7-1.

It also turns out that the average number getting lymphedema is lower--more like 15% so the Amer Can Soc nurse may have been wrong.

This is scarey---I an not going to postpone again. I really want to find out what stage I am in and stop worrying so much. A pain near my left ovary is scaring me today. I need to calm down!!!

Take care all you wonderful people, Alana
Unread 06-22-2003, 05:30 AM
Is this true about the lymph nodes?

Where did you find out the info? I had 4 out of 30 lymph nodes that were positive, even if it was microscopic...can you tell me where you found that out?
And I never thought about lymphedema! Now I have 2 things to investigate and find out about! I feel like Mr. Bill from Saturday Night Live....OHHHH NOOOOOOO.

Anyway, this is a wonderful place to post and vent. I hope you are doing much better now, and I will put you on my prayer list!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register