biopsy results are back | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

biopsy results are back biopsy results are back

Unread 06-17-2003, 03:52 PM
biopsy results are back

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to give an update and ask some questions, last time everyone was so helpful!

I was told yesterday that my cervical biopsies (which was very painful for me personally, although it seems like it isn't for some) came back with CIN III (2 of them), CIN II (2 of them), and CIN I (1 of them) and my dr. recommended a LEEP to be done. He said we could do it in the office with a local anesthesia or in the hospital with a general--i opted for a general since i had already experienced such pain with the biopsies. So now, i have a whole bunch of questions that i thought people that have been through this could help me out with:

1. How does the whole procedure work in the hospital--are you out before they start anything, and do you need breathing apparatus since it is such a short procedure?

2. Should someone be at the hospital with me during the procedure and the recovery (I've only lived in nyc for a short time and have no family here and boyfriend would have to take off of work, should he?) Can anyone even come in the recovery room?

3. I've read on the board that too much walking after isn't good? How much is too much (i have about a 20 minute brisk walk to the subway and from the subway everyday to work)? How long should activity be avoided?

4. Why are blood tests taken for the pre-op?

5. Are you still out of it from the general anesthesia when you leave the recovery room?

6. Can i work the next day after general anesthesia and leep (sit down job, behind computer all day)?

7. Are you given pain medication after the procedure? Do you need it?

8. Now that the biopsies are back, can i be sure that it is just pre-cancerous and not cancer?

I know I asked alot of questions and everyone has different experiences, but i am pretty nervous (without family and close friends nearby for support) so any info from you guys would be really helpful.

thank you so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-17-2003, 04:36 PM
biopsy results are back

((Sophie))

I didn't have a LEEP but have had two Cone's so I can respond to some of your questions.

They were very strict about having someone with me. My DS dropped me off at the door and went to park. They wouldn't even sign me in until he came in. I asked what that was about and they said they need to make sure someone would be picking me up. They don't want patients going home in a cab. I guess they have a legal liability until they "hand me off" to someone else. They did allow people in Recovery. I wasn't there very long at all. You must be alert and oriented before leaving recovery. It didn't take me long to "shake it off" as they put it.

They do pre-op testing before anyone goes under anesthesia regardless of how long the procedure will be. I was intubated and put under before anything started. It seemed like a minute later I was awake.

I was told to "take it easy" for a couple of days after. Your brisk walk sounds iffy....you'll have to check that out with your dr. Here in suburbia we drive everywhere.

I don't remember being given pain meds. I only had some cramping after.

As to your last question, the biopsy can tell you only about the tissue they took. They will take a larger sample from the LEEP.

I know how scary all this is. The unknown is a scary thing! Please don't hesitate to ask any question you may have.

Unread 06-17-2003, 05:42 PM
Good luck!

I've not had this procedure, but my aunt has. She was uncomfortable for a few days, but not in serious pain. I would plan on taking a few days off after. Even if you do feel fine, your mind is going to be on the results.

As for having someone there, it might be nice to just have some moral support, especially when you are waiting for them to call your name. Also, when you wake up, you might be a little disorriented and having a familiar face there might help.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes. I will say little prayer for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-17-2003, 05:44 PM
biopsy results are back

I had the LEEP done in the Dr's office without general. I did feel a bit woozy after. I did not think that it was bad, but I did not have trouble with the colposcopy either.
My experience with the anesthesia is that you stay in the recovery room until you are conscious. They monitor you there.

I live in NYC too. Who is your GYN?
Unread 06-20-2003, 11:46 PM
biopsy results are back

Hi Sophie,

I had a LEEP on April 25th, it was done under general anesthesia as out patient surgery. They did nothing to me while I was awake. I was told no breathing tube would be needed. I was given oxygen though. I was in the recovery room until I woke up, then they wheeled me to another room that my DH came back to. Within a half hour I was discharged. I had very little pain, but I was given medication to take at home if I needed it. I did take off work for a couple of days, not sure if I really would have been comfortable at work or not, but my brain needed the time off!!

My results came back adenocarcinoma of the cervix. My gyn sent me to a gyn oncologist and he did a cold knife cone biopsy. I had alot more discomfort with that and definitely could not have worked. That came back adenocarcinoma in-situ. My decision was to schedule a hysterectomy. My surgery will be June 24th. There really isn't any way to know if they missed anything during the biopsies or not. My type sometimes "skips" around and I am not taking any chances. I have spent hours and hours on the internet, like tonite I can't sleep. Since this cancer thing started I don't sleep straight thru the night anymore. But only a few days to go for my surgery. Best of luck to you.
Unread 06-21-2003, 12:07 AM
biopsy results are back

Hello,

I had a leep done in my OBGYN office with a local.
I had no pain afterwards. Only some very mild cramps that evening that lasted for only a little while.

I was doing fine by the next day, no problems at all.

As for going in and having a general anths. done, I am sure you will need someone present. For fact am postive they will want someone to drive you home.
Talk to your Dr and explain your situation before hand. They may work it out so that you stay in recovery longer than the norm. to be sure you are okay before they release you, maybe then allowing you to take a cab home?

Best wishes and hoping all goes well for you.

Debbie [withope]

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register