Congress to cut Cancer Care??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Congress to cut Cancer Care??? Congress to cut Cancer Care???

Unread 06-18-2003, 05:20 PM
Congress to cut Cancer Care???

My Dr's office had a flyer posted all over and it read...

--------------------------------------------------------------
Tell Congress: Drop the Cancer Care Cut!
Right now, Congress is working on Medicare drug benefit legislation. In that bill is a provision that would drastically change how cancer care is covered and delivered in America. In fact, the provision could:

Severely cut total funding for cancer care;
Endanger patients' access to timely cancer treatment;
Potentially expose cancer patients to counterfeit drugs; and
Allow outsiders to interfere in the patient-provider relationship.

If these changes are made as currently proposed, cancer patients would face delays in getting the treatment they need, and access to care would be significantly reduced (especially in rural areas).

Then it goes on to state that what YOU can do to protect patients and save cancer care is call the member(s) of congress who represent your community; and tell them:

I am a <patient, family member, cancer care provider, concerned citizen> in <town/city>

Please ask the Majority Leader to DROP THE CANCER CARE CUT that is in the Medicare drug legislation. If passed, this cut would damage the cancer care delivery system on which patients depend.

Instead of this cut, we need balanced reform. Please cosponsor "The Quality Cancer Care Preservation Act." Thank you..

-----------------------------------------------------
Has anyone else heard of this?

I was just wondering if anyone else has heard this yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-18-2003, 05:54 PM

Well, that just makes me cranky. I hadn't heard of it, but I will definitely make the call(s). Thanks, Tammy.
Unread 06-18-2003, 06:46 PM

Along this same legislative line:

The Ovarian Cancer National Alliance has also been working hard with Congress. Believe it or not the Dept of Defense is given money from Congress that they spend on ovarian cancer research. For the past two years this allotted amount has decreased. OCNA has been working very hard to get this amount increased to $15 million for the year 2004. A vote was to be held today. I don't know the results yet.
The Dept of Defense uses their ovarian cancer money to fund some very serious innovative scientists. Those scientists not funded via NCI. Last year when the DoD budget was cut, there were many research ideas for ovarian cancer left hanging without funding. And this frightens me. All those good ideas gone dry.
Who knows when some guy could come up with the next magic bullet, or the next taxol so to speak.
Anyway, just me rambling.......

karenann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-19-2003, 07:01 AM
I will definitely call on that one...and this

information makes me crazy. Is there a lobby group for us? For gynecological cancer research in general? For ovarian? For uterine? How can we stop this? I am so disgusted.
Unread 06-19-2003, 07:37 AM
I'll inquire about that

Usually I write so will be writing them. I go on Medicare from my SSDI next year.

If they don't get drug coverage--and NOT at the expense of other programs--there are some of mine that will have to go--too expensive or else those I feel I can get along without best.

But drug coverage at the expense of cancer care--no.
Unread 06-19-2003, 07:39 AM
Gynecologic Cancer Foundation

I'm not sure what if any lobbying they do, but the Gynecologic Cancer Foundation (GCF) is the one cancer organization whose mission is to represent the interests of women with or at risk for all gynecologic cancers. A year or so ago, the GCF was listed in Worth magazine as one of the country's 100 best charities.
Here's the GCF's website:

http://www.wcn.org/gcf/about/default.htm

If they don't do any gyn-cancer lobbying, they might be able to tell you who does.

Also, if you don't feel that your elected officials are acting in your best interests, you might want to remember that fact when election time rolls around.

MoeKay
Unread 06-19-2003, 09:06 AM

The Ovarian Cancer National Alliance (OCNA) is the group that does the majority of lobbying for ovarian cancer. The lobbying effort is basically done by two super intelligent ladies who were actively employed in the Washington lobby circle, and then each was diagnosed with ovarian cancer.
The web site for OCNA is : ovariancancer.org
I highly recommend checking this site out.
In February I attended the advocacy training in Washington DC which was taught by OCNA. Now each time there is a piece of legislature concerning ovarian cancer, this group notifies me. And I get to apply the pressure to my senators and congressmen. It has been great fun and I have been pretty sucessful for getting the state of NJ to sign on.
It was at this OCNA training that I got to meet Deliz in person. Deliz is an ovarian cancer survivor and an old time poster on CC. She lives on the West Coast. It surely is a global community.
OCNA is holding their next annual conference in Sept in San Francisco. There is more info about this on their web site.
My DH and I are both attending.
Some of you should consider it. I attended their annual conference last year as well, and it was packed with cutting edge info.
oxoxox karenan
Unread 06-19-2003, 10:35 AM

If my counts behave, I'm there.

Thanks for all this great info, Karen. It's good to know that we have you in our corner.
Unread 06-20-2003, 06:23 AM
The Cancer Funding Dilemma

Yes it does sound like Karen is doing a wonderful job working with the ovarian cancer lobby to fight for funding for ovarian cancer research, etc. And the good fortune--if it is appropriate to call it that--of having two women who worked in the Washington lobby circle having been diagnosed with ovarian cancer is certainly helpful to enable ovarian cancer survivors to effectively fight for a larger piece of the cancer resource pie.

However, from the frustration apparent in Karen's earlier post, it appears that the cancer resource allocation problem also requires a much more broad based solution as it sounds like the overall funding pot is shrinking.

And I can't help but wonder where that leaves those cancers that don't have members with lobby experience in their ranks to go to bat for them, or lack large corporate sponsors like the breast cancer coalition. It seems like there should be a better way to ensure that the best interests of all cancer patients and survivors are adequately addressed.

MoeKay
Unread 06-21-2003, 07:11 PM
discouraging

It is sad when funding for cancer is cut. There seems to be so much waste going on in the government and money spent on frivilous things.
That is amazing that those women were diagnosed with ovarian cancer.
I know Gene Wilder was instrumental in getting the familial cancer regestry started at Roswell Park in Buffalo. Makes me wonder if he still would be interested in speaking out for more research and funding.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register