I have an idea to share and would like some | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I have an idea to share and would like some I have an idea to share and would like some

Unread 06-19-2003, 07:09 AM
I have an idea to share and would like some

feedback. I have decided to write a book on us. Those of us with ovarian, endometrial, vaginal...all the gynecological cancers.

These postings are so wonderful and you all are so informative. There are no books that I can find out "there" that have our stories in them, the paths that we take and why, what we have been through, what we have learned. I would like to compile what we have been through, and combine that with research, options, alternative therapies, etc.

I want to have as many life stories from you, if possible. Would anyone be willing to let me interview them?

I am just in the beginning process...creating the outline and putting my ideas out here in the universe.

This web site and forum has been my salvation as I trudge through cancer, hysterectomy, hot flashes, etc. I want to bring us to the minds of others...that may be out there, alone. And also to others who may be caring for us...or wondering about what it is like.

You can pm me or just respond to this post. Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-19-2003, 07:23 AM

Sure, I would be happy to help you. I think a book like that is very much needed I don't feel up to wriitng my whole story
.because I am trying hard to move on, don't want to relive it, but I would be happy to anwer any interview questions and please feel free to use any of my posts from the archives from when the battle started.
Unread 06-19-2003, 07:34 AM
For Guidance

I would recommend "Ovarian Cancer: Your Guide to taking Control" by the late Lauren Langford and Kristine Conner (who finished). This is an excellent book for ovarian with women's experiences and stories interwoven with factual information. I have some quotes in this book. If you're really serious, and I know you are, this is the way to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-19-2003, 09:08 AM

I would love to contribute whatever small bit I can.

I began to think of writing a book during my hospital stay, but not "informative" more like "humorous". It is to be called "are you healthy" - which I was asked by the radiologist who met with me before surgery (she meant do I have underlying health issues other than what I'm in for). I replied "gee, I always thought I was but today I walked in here and found out I have cancer!" The whole anicdote as well as the title sound better in Hebrew....

I spoke to a neighbour last week whose husband had cancer many years ago, and she agreed that a sense of humour is really the only way to get through everything!!

Esther
Unread 06-19-2003, 09:47 AM

Yes, I would love to contribute to your book. I have often thought about, gained strength from and refected on the stories posted. I have gained an insight into peoples lives and personalities on this site, only knowing them through their writings.. I also gained friendships over the last year based initially on a dx, but over months of emailing...have built a friendship based on mutual interest that have nothing to do with the dx. I don't know how I would have gotten through the last year without hs.....I would be happy to be interviewed.
Unread 06-19-2003, 10:18 AM

I, too, would love to contribute to the book. At first I didn't visit the Cancer Concerns Messages until I actually had a concern. Now, I stop by to "visit" my "sisters" every day. Sometimes just reading about someone else's experience helps.

I think I'm the only one on hs with Fallopian Tube CA, but I have gotten so much help from everyone.

Count me in.
Unread 06-19-2003, 10:18 AM
great idea

Iwould be happy to help. What a great idea. You're right-where else could you get such individual stories and great information?
Unread 06-19-2003, 10:20 AM

Dear Georgene,

I would be happy to participate or maybe even help. My degrees are both in journalism and I've worked in various writing-related jobs for the majority of my life. I thought about doing something similar, and have also been thinking about doing a more irreverant, humorous book. More along the lines of "Girlfriends' Guide to Pregnancy," which I've bought for a lot of friends. I agree that there's a dearth of information available about gynecological cancers. There are so many stories out there; it would be great to do 2-5 page stories from 50-100 women. PM me if I can help.

Ellen --

Thanks for the book recommendation. I've partially read two vanity-press ovaca books that left me kind of flat. The Gilda Radner book, while interesting, is outdated. And I never got around to finishing the Fran Drescher book because her experience was so different and her problems were solved without chemo. I'll have to get the book you recommended. Have you read the Liz Tilberis book? Is it worthwhile?
Unread 06-19-2003, 12:52 PM

Hi Georgene....

I would be willing to help out in anyway. You can interview me at any time.

I also love to write. In order to complete my Masters Degree I had to write a thesis. My professor had suggested that I think about writing articles for parents magazines. My bachelors degree is in Elementary Education and my Masters is in Training and Learning.

My typing skills, on the other hand, have a lot to be desired!!! lol

Rosalie
Unread 06-19-2003, 02:07 PM

Great idea Georgene! And I would be honored to contribute.
Our collective ways of coping could help someone tremendously.

I really think we all need to get together in Disney World.
Can you just imagine us all meeting in person and doing the Tower of Terror together?

The Liz Tilberis book is depressing. I would not recomment it to be uplifted at all.

Margaret- Is the book you mentioned, the one being talked about on acor? Is it widely released? Like Barnes and Noble?

oxoxo karenann

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register