I have an idea to share and would like some - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I have an idea to share and would like some I have an idea to share and would like some

Unread 06-19-2003, 02:09 PM
I have an idea to share and would like some

Georgene, I think it is a brilliant idea to write a book and I said so in my "summing up" post: great minds obviously think alike. One of my first responses to being told I might have ovarian cancer was to go straight into town to tour the bookshops and see what I could find. There was masses on breast cancer but absolutely nothing on gynaecological cancers, and I live in a big city. Okay breast cancer is more common, but I really think gynaecological cancers are neglected. A book that had the courage, spirit and life that characterises this board, plus all the information out there gathered together about gynaecological cancer, would be precious.

Jane.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-19-2003, 03:02 PM

Writing a book on coping with cancer with a humurous element would be great. I think that Karenann is right on target with the Disney World meet & writing marathon. I haven't been there in over 20 years.

The book "Ovarian Cancer, Your Guide to Taking Control" was very good. I wished I had it last year before surgery. I noticed Ellen's contributions--very thought provoking. Karenann, I got my copy from Amazon.com. I also thought Liz Tilberis's book was too self-centered. I did like February Light.

I'm writing a journal of my "adventures". Writing is very therapeutic. So follow your dream Georgene and write!

Ruth S
Unread 06-19-2003, 04:14 PM
Count me in

I have been writing my own bout with cancer and I titled it "My account with CANCER" It isnt finished just yet, but as soon as I get my results I will sent it to you if you want.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-19-2003, 04:20 PM
Thank you all for your support! I am so excited

about this project. I am starting to get my outline together, and plan on using a lot of humor. There is alot of humor in this. I told my friend yesterday that I had lost 25 pounds due to this but now I can see my toes so much better!
I would love your input, and I will keep you posted on my progess.
Siren, I would love your help. I will PM you.

Just having this site has been an enormous support for me. I feel like I know you all so well.

I start chemo on Monday but plan on getting started ASAP.

Thank you all sooooo much.

I WOULD LOVE TO MEET YOU ALL AT DISNEY. I have never been! Can you imagine how MUCH FUN that would be?

love and hugs!
Unread 06-19-2003, 04:55 PM
One Thing We ALL Must Contribute

if we do this is a section on hospital "food"--now that'd lighten up things. Karenann, the book is at Amazon.com, etc. and has been selling out--but you can order if Barnes & Noble doesn't have it.
Full of facts and recommendations from professionals and then our stories interwoven.

Hospital food: My Dr. who previously was repeating over and over "need to diet" looked at me and said, "why aren't you eating your chocolate cake?" I explained that half a cup of peas and half a cup of potatoes had filed me up but that if I had room before they took the tray, I'd go for that before the mystery meatloaf. I had said I couldn't eat heavy spicy food so one day dietary called & tried to explain what they were having for lunch. I never did understand. Halfway through I just gave up and asked for a peanut butter sandwich. Had I been in my right mind I would have said "skip lunch" since it was the worst peanut butter sandwich I ever had.
Unread 06-19-2003, 08:05 PM

Why not call that magical chapter, "Why Surgery Bites." (I'd use another word, but asterisks would pop up. I'm wondering if this word will get through.)

The first post-surgery meal my hospital delivered was salisbury steak surprise on top of gloppy mashed potatoes with imitation fruit punch drink product. I was like, "Uh, how is this cancer preventing food?" I think all hospitals outsource to the lowest cost provider. As long as there's some protein and carbs, it qualifies as food.

I spent several days ignoring the food in favor of apple juice. I felt better just drinking the juice. I love to eat, but . . . I don't love to eat what they were trying to feed me. I would've loved a peanut butter sandwich. But I just wasn't mentally organized enough to even think about it.

I'm still wondering what's in "imitation cheese food product." I'm just happy they didn't try to serve me "krab."
Unread 06-19-2003, 08:09 PM

Another chapter idea:

Be Bald, Get Free Stuff.

I'm very much the person who always tries to pay. But now that I'm bald, I've noticed that all my friends insist on paying if we go out to lunch or dinner. And today, the girl at the DVD store decided not to charge me late fees. I was like, "Cool! Be bald and you don't pay late fees!" She cracked up.

Bought some Nioxin today (on someone here's recommendation). The lovely ladies at the beauty supply place spent 10 minutes telling me that I needed red meat, liver, more liver, some red meat, and some other liver. They then -- in broken Russian -- tried to tell me how to prepare it. It was really cute.
Unread 06-19-2003, 08:51 PM
IDEAS

I'd be more than happy to help...........we all need help educate our sisters about ALL forms of GYN. cancers. Kudos for taking on a project like this !!!.

Had this not happened to me I never would have know....... also blessed be to the forward thinking women who created HYSTER/ SISTERS.......
Unread 06-20-2003, 03:00 AM
Write that book!

I also think this is a wonderful idea ! I would be happy to help in any way ... this site has been invaluable to me in
providing info....but more importantly in allowing me to draw strength from all you wonderful women.

To transfer this into a book for others would be such a worthwhile thing to do.

Best wishes Maggie.
Unread 06-20-2003, 07:28 AM
chemo and fish?

Hi, I would love to contribute! Since I have one of those good ole rare kinda things it might of interest. Also since I'm an American living in Europe, it might be of interest.

Hey guys, whatcha complaining about... you ought to see hospital food in Holland.... ever had a raw herring tossed on your plate?! lol Sometimes, when we are not having fish for lunch, we get sandwiches, but the meat on them is so thinly sliced you an see right through it! Talk about the Dutch being cheap! lol

Oh gosh, SirenSong, I'm here at the office reading your post and trying to keep from just busting up and rolling on the floor laughing. Bald is beautiful and cheap! I have been told to expect hair loss, especially in the bikini area. I think that's great! Nair never did work for me. Now there is an all new product that does!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register