Bleeding after Intercourse | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bleeding after Intercourse Bleeding after Intercourse

Unread 06-19-2003, 08:43 AM
Bleeding after Intercourse

I'm freaking out today... it has been 3 years since my hysterectomy (have my ovaries and cervix) and last night after my husband and I had sex, I had some bleeding (only "on" us, not leaking from me afterwards) It was a darker color similar to that of a menstral cycle. Strangely enough, I have been having some light cramping and my breasts are a bit tender this week.

I thought I wouldn't have any more periods after surgery - and I haven't - until "now"... I've left a message for my doctor to shed some light on this phenomenon. Has anyone else experienced this? I hope it's a "common" thing (as strange as it is) and it doesn't mean something is seriously wrong with me.

Thanks for taking time to read this -- I appreciate any replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-19-2003, 03:49 PM

I have not experienced this, but I have seen posts that talk about mini-periods after hyster if you keep your cervix. This may be what is happening as your other symptoms sound like PMS. Hopefully, you DR will call you back soon with some answers.
Unread 06-19-2003, 04:05 PM

If it has been 3 YEARS since your surgery, this would not be a mini-period happening suddenly now and not before. You would have been having them all along.

My DR told me any bleeding after being released from her care post op meant I would need to be seen. It could be any of a number of things. Make an appointment and see your gyn. I'm pretty sure that is what will be recommended when your Dr calls you back. If not, I would still insist on it!

I hope it is something minor that can be easily dealt with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-20-2003, 10:53 AM
Bleeding after intercourse

Blood could be from your husband. This happened to us a few years ago. He had blood somewhere in the scrotum and it came out in me during intercourse.
Unread 06-22-2003, 12:23 AM

I am so glad to see this post because this very same thing happened to me tonight! I couldn't sleep so I got on here to look it up. I am four months post op and after we had sex tonight I noticed I was bleeding. It is light like I am spotting before a period but I know it isn't that since I had everything removed. I am kind of concerned because I haven't had any bleeding since my surgery. We have had sex numerous times since the six week mark and I didn't bleed afterwards then so why now? Did we do something wrong tonight and it caused damage or what? If anyone can shed some light on this for me I would greatly appreciate it.

Jennifer
Unread 06-23-2003, 11:07 AM

Thanks sistas! I agree... bleeding after 3 YEARS is not normal. My Mom thought it could be a dry vagina thing (doubtful) and I think the fact that it happened after sex was just coincidental. The nurse at my Ob/Gyn thought so too, and she didn't seem too alarmed by my call (yeah, I know that means squat)

I did have an internal ultrasound last month (we are considering surrogacy) and they were really cranking down on my cervix to see it - so it could be a result of that?!...dunno... I do have a DR apt this Weds afternoon to (hopefully) get to the bottom of things (no pun intended) LOL ) I will keep ya posted! HUGS
Unread 06-23-2003, 07:04 PM

(((Corey)))) I'm relieved you're seeing your doctor on Wednesday. As the others have said, the bleeding could be from a number of things and needs to be addressed. Please let us know what the doctor said. Sending healing s your way.

(((Jennifer))) I'm sorry you're also dealing with this issue. At 4 months post-op, you shouldn't be experiencing new bleeding of this type. Please, contact your doctor: he/she will probably ask you to come it for an exam. Again, probably nothing serious, but something that needs to be addressed. And, should the bleeding increase, become bright red or should you experience pain, please head for the ER. Sending lots of healing s your way. Please keep us posted.
Unread 06-24-2003, 08:29 PM

Well, the good news is I finally stopped bleeding today. Bad news is I couldn't get in to see my OBGYN until tomorrow. I wanted to go in on Monday but they didn't have any doctors in the office that day and today was booked solid. Oh well, at least I am able to be seen tomorrow. I hope it is an easy fix though the lady on the phone said it wasn't normal to bleed this late after surgery and seem STUMPED that I was. I just told her I had heard from others that have had this same problem and I assured her I wasn't alone in this. I will be glad to get some answers on this tomorrow.

Jennifer
Unread 06-25-2003, 07:27 PM

Corey,

Did you get to see your doctor today? I did and my bleeding was from a polyp so he cut it off right then and there, talk about OUCH! I asked if it would hurt and he said "OH YEAH" and I just said "HUH" then he did it....but I am just thankful that was ALL it was. He said about 1 in 20 women get them and that is is just part of the bodies healing process. I just hope I don't get anymore. I am cramping tonight but other than that I am ok. I sure hope you are ok too. Have a good night!

Jennifer
Unread 06-26-2003, 08:24 AM

Jennifer, glad everything went ok and hope you are recovering well.

Yes, I saw my Dr. yesterday. She did an exam and a Pap. She didn't see a tear or anything noting "trauma" (cervix intact) and she did the pap to rule out infection or cancer (Yes, she did say the C word but only once - but enuf to stick in my head!) She got a good swab of blood off my cervix to see (exactly the color I saw last week) too.

She kept telling me not to let myself get worried about this. Her best guess is that there is some endo tissue at or near the cervix. Endo cells can grow outside the uterus and act like lining, thickening and bleeding each month. She said it was not uncommon for this to happen 3 years after my hysterectomy esp. since I have my ovaries, too. With functioning ovaries, the estrogen from them is what powers endo tissue.

Unrelated?, I told her I also have some pain when I twist or turn or get up too quickly and she said it is most likely scar tissue from the surgery. Does anyone know if adhesions can turn into more serious problems? I wonder if this is contributing to things.

I will find out the results of the tests tomorrow and will post again on Monday (I'm out of the office tomorrow) I have more questions for the doc regardless of the results. ~Why is it that you always think of things to ask AFTER you see the doc?!~ Thanks for your concern - please keep this sister in your hyster prayers! )

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register