Abnormal mammogram | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Abnormal mammogram Abnormal mammogram

Unread 06-19-2003, 02:44 PM
Abnormal mammogram

Would like some opinions or advice. Am 1 year post TAH/BSO and have been using estrogen patch (Climara .05) for that year and OTC progesterone cream.
Yesterday I went for my annual mammogram and had abnormal results and the radiologist recommended a biopsy. I came home and took off my patch, called my GYN today. She had my results (calcifications that they want to check out) and she referred me to a surgeon. I told her I had quit my patch and she recommended that instead of going cold turkey that I take vitamin E and change my patch every 2 weeks instead of 1 week and if that goes ok, go to 3 weeks. I don't see the surgeon for a consult until June 30th and don't know how soon the biopsy will be. We are scheduled for a family vacation on July 1st for three weeks, so I am sure it will be the end of July.
I'm not overly concerned, but definitely want to be smart about this. Anyone been here or have any advice for me I would greatly appreciate it. I am 51 years old. The hysterectomy was for large cysts on the ovaries and fibroids. The pathology was good on that.
As usual thanks for being there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-19-2003, 05:07 PM
ABNORMAL MAMMAGRAMS

CAROL...I HAD A BREAST LUMP THAT ENDED UP BEING FIBROCYSTIC TISSUE..THIS WAS A LUMP I FOUND MY SELF AND I HAD A MAMMOGRAM AND UTRASOUND TO MONTHS PIOR.. AND NOTHING SHOWED UP THEN I HAD IT SURGICALLY REMOVED AS MY SURGEON THINKS NEEDLE BIOPSYS ARE HIT OR MISS..I WAS INSTRUCTED TO STAY ON MY CLIMARA PATCHES AND IM ON 2 PATCHES WEEKLY. ..THE SURGEON AND OB TOLD ME TO STAY ON THEM...I WAS 44 THEN....IM SURE YOUR PROBABLY FINE AS CALCIFICATIONS ARE COMMON...TAKE CARE TINA
Unread 06-19-2003, 07:27 PM
Abnormal mammogram

(((Carol)))

I have not had any breast problems, but just want you to know I am sending a big and will be praying for you sister. I am sure it will turn out to be nothing- but it always that darn waiting for the results!! Be well my friend!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-20-2003, 05:44 AM
Abnormal mammogram

One of several reasons that I went off HRT was because I kept getting breast lumps, some of which abscessed. Nothing was malignant, but I didn't want to take the risk. As you can see, there are a variety of medical opinions. Unfortunately, we each have to make our own decisions on this one.
Unread 06-20-2003, 06:02 AM
Abnormal mammogram

dear Carol,

I'm sorry to hear about this difficult experience and hope all turns out well for you.

I guess I would follow your gyn's advice. But above all, I'd make sure your doc knows you've been using the progesterone cream.

best wishes...
Unread 06-20-2003, 07:58 AM
Fibrocystic Breasts

I developed Fibrocystic breasts about a year after my hyst. I wasn't on the right dosage of estrogen. My mammorgram came back abnormal, I had to go for another one (yippie!) and an ultra sound.

I was scared. My family has a history of breast cancer. It was nothing, thank the Lord.

Good luck and God Bless.

Kristi
Unread 06-20-2003, 04:31 PM
Abnormal mammogram

Hi Carol,

I haven't been on the road lately as I am 3 weeks today post op for a urostomy due to complications from my hyst. I did want to tell you though that I also had a needle biopsy done at the same time. My mammo's hadn't been normal for more than six months but wasn't concerned because had more "important" things to worry about. Anyway they bugged me enough that I went to a surgical center & they decided because of the pattern of the calcification it could be malignant. Before you know it this became more of an issue then my urostomy. I had a needle inserted before surgery while they were doing the mammo. Very uncomfortable but not painful. This is called needle placement. They leave the needle in for placement if you can't feel the lump. Then they prep you & removed my lump while under general. Usually done locally. This biopsy took less then an hour but I had another 7 1/2 hour ileal conduit diversion. The first dr I saw the next day was the biopsy dr. No results. Day 2 I saw him in hallway & he tracked down results. All OK but said I will need a needle biopsy for any future calcifications to be on the safe side. Said I had huge bandage on breast because of other surgery, ordinarily would just have me wear a bra. He said you have enough going on. Take off bandage & concentrate on other stuff. Anyway now back to yearly mammo at age 46. Don't take this too lightly but don't get all worked up over it like I did either.

Good Luck.
Terry
Unread 06-21-2003, 07:05 AM
thanks everyone

A big thank you to everyone who has replied. These are not easy decisions to make, but it helps to make informed ones. And real experience as well as just my Drs point of view helps. I know from my hyst that there is alot more to know then the answers to only the questions that we know to ask. Also the Drs point of view while knowledgeable doesn't always represent being on the other side. This gives us the opportunity also to hear other medical points of view without making myriad rounds of appointments (not practical or possible). Sometimes you need to know what to ask.

Glad everyone who replied had good results.

Terry, thanks for taking the time with all that you have gone through. Hope your recovery is going well.

Just a word of encouragement is a wonderful thing. Thanks everyone.

Carol
Unread 06-21-2003, 07:19 AM
Abnormal mammogram

Carol, just wanted to tell you that I also had a mammo (shortly after hyst) and it came back with calcifications. Had to go for a second one 6 months later, and that was benign. I was told by my dr. that many women get changes in the breast tissue, calcifications, etc., as they age. So, just to add another side to it, it could just be normal aging of the breasts, and not due to the HRT. With my situation I doubt it was HRT because I had only been on it 3 mths when I had the mammo. Hope this gives you another perspective, and hope everything turns out fine. s

Marta

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register