smoking | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 06-20-2003, 04:07 AM
smoking

I thought wow what a great time to stop smoking..did really good in the hospital but when I got home not so good, My sister of all people said to me your doing to much to soon.
You see she hates smoking, but I cant sleep at nights and that may be one reason why I cant and all the meds I was on when I came home from the hospital.
So I put it off till I heal up and then try it again...
I do want to stop..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-20-2003, 06:18 AM
smoking

I smoke too and thought the same thing....didn't work...still smoking. Hope I will lose tons of weight and then can quit once recovered. Good luck!
Unread 06-20-2003, 06:32 AM
smoking

It seems to me a lot of people have trouble getting back into a regular sleeping pattern after surgery and I don't think it's related to smoking (or not).

From my own experience I'd say that quitting smoking takes an unwavering commitment and you're right, maybe this just isn't the right time for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-20-2003, 07:38 AM
Me Too

I am two weeks post-op today and am also battling the smoking issue. I too thought what a perfect time to quick. Boy was I wrong. Between losing my hormones and the nicotine I was a walking time bomb ready to explode. My DH (who is a Non-smoker) really wanted me to quit but he also said, I think this is too much to do all at once.

I really want to quit because I am tired of spending the money and I know it is bad for my health but I'm not sure this was the wisest time to try.
Unread 06-20-2003, 08:22 AM
smoking

I spent 6 days in the hospital with my surgery and didn't have one craving while there. I went another week without smoking at home. Then at my one week appointment my doctor actually told me TO NOT QUIT SMOKING until I got hormone issues resolved. I think she was afraid I'd just off the cliff or something.
Unread 06-20-2003, 08:52 AM
not smoking

HI Well, I have to say I am different from the rest of you. I was successful in quitting smoking (so far at least). It has now been 6 1/2 weeks. I really didn't think I could do it, just didn't feel like it. I had bought 1/2 carton to have at home when I returned from hospital. I even took a pack with me. After 2 weeks of not smoking I did get a cold. That wasn't pretty. I was smoking outside only when I did smoke and I didn't feel like going outside. Weather wasn't good and I didn't feel like standing out there. I wish you all the luck in the world to quit. The last I checked I haven't gained any weight yet either and I really can't afford to gain . Now if I just had the willpower to lose 40 lbs. I would feel terrific. I do feel like a cig every now and then, but I can turn it off (so far). Never say never.
GOOD LUCK TO ALL. You will finally feel like you fit in with the rest of the world . Most of my friend are non-smokers.
Unread 06-20-2003, 05:30 PM
smoking

I too quit smoking the night before going into the hospital and didn't smoke for 6 weeks. But then I went back to work and that blew it for me. My work is very stressful and the only way to relax at work and enjoy some companionship is to go outside and smoke. I started out just smoking 4 cigs a day and of course that always goes up. Plus I am on HRT and gaining weight. So now into week 11 post op I am smoking like a chimney again. I hate it and wish I could of stuck with it. But reading these other posts I feel like maybe I should try it again once I feel better about things. I'm having a hard time adjusting to hormones, having depression and crying jags, but a cig always makes me feel better.....lol!

TAH/BSO 4/1/03
Unread 06-20-2003, 06:23 PM
quit smoking blues-waaaah!

Hi fellow smokers and ex-smokers,

I was hesitant to start reading this thread because I was afraid it might help me to justify smoking again. I find myself looking for a good excuse!

You see, I quit smoking 7 days before my surgery, a little over 10 weeks ago, and my cravings just keep getting worse. I find myself thinking about smoking almost constantly and then I feel really depressed that I cant. I have had so many negative changes since the surgery (diet, sleep, activities, etc.) that smoking is the only thing I could and want to do that I really enjoyed.

None of the reasons I wanted to quit seem valid anymore because I'm not able to enjoy any of them. Although one of the main reasons I quit was because the Doctor terrified me with the blod clot/heart attack/breast cancer risks with the surgery and subsequent ERT but at this point I'm not sure I care anymore.

Thanks for letting me vent.
Unread 06-20-2003, 07:09 PM
smoking

I too came home a non smoker and had every intention of staying that way, but when certain people continued to smoke around me even when I asked them not to I finally caved in and started back, plus I was getting pretty mean, feeling like killing certain family members and thought maybe now is just not the right time!!
Unread 06-20-2003, 07:48 PM
Smoking

My Dr actually said this might not be the right time and he was right. I didn't smoke in the castle at all, but as soon as I got out, I started. My dh even let me smoke in my recovery room in November in Montana! When I wasn't in there we could open the window and air it out. He let me smoke wherever I wanted actually, bless his heart. I've tried a few times to quit since, but no luck yet. Don't give up. I'm going to keep trying and trying and trying until it works!!!! It's so embarressing these days to smoke, the health part , etc!!! I posted on this right before I went into the castle, and believe me, we are not alone. Alot of women were going outside in the castle. I never did that, never had the urge. Good luck to you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register