GCF had a special supplement to NY TIMES | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

GCF had a special supplement to NY TIMES GCF had a special supplement to NY TIMES

Unread 06-20-2003, 08:35 AM
GCF had a special supplement to NY TIMES

on Tuesday, June 17th. My daughter just sent it to me. I wish I could send it to you all, but maybe you can get a copy on line? There is a lot of good information for all of us. It is an advertising supplement and the subheader is What Every Woman Should Know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-20-2003, 10:25 AM
I Think I Need to Contact Them

and have them do a supplement here sometime. OK, we're smaller and no big City, but try to get any awareness is harder than trying to get people to go to a skunk wrassle.
Unread 06-20-2003, 10:52 AM
Will Be In NY Times Health Supp. Sunday

The New York Times Supplement on gynecologic cancer will be distributed in the nationwide edition of the Times on Sunday, June 22. Tuesday's supplement was only released in the edition that reaches the New York area market.

Here is the Gynecologic Cancer Foundation's website describing the supplement. Eventually, the article will also appear on GCF's site:

http://www.wcn.org/gcf/whatsnew/supplement.htm

Ever since I became aware of the dramatic increase in the endometrial cancer mortality-to-incidence ratio in September 2001, I have been corresponding with the GCF Chairman and Communications Committee (as well as my gynecologic oncologist who is also on the Board) about ways to address this problem. I recently prepared a written presentation on possible ways to drive down the number of endometrial cancer deaths (which have more then doubled over the past decade). I received a letter from the Communications Committee Chairman stating that she would be discussing my presentation at their committee meeting during the Society of Gynecologic Oncologist's Annual Meeting this Spring.

I am happy to hear the GCF is making strides to get the word out to women who have or may be at risk for gynecologic cancer.

I look forward to seeing the Times article on Sunday.

MoeKay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-20-2003, 11:35 AM

Good news, gucu, I'm looking forward to seeing the supplement.

Moekay: Are you willing to share some of your suggestions for decreasing the rate of endometrial cancer mortality? If so, thanks.

Beth
Unread 06-20-2003, 12:12 PM

I have the written presentation I submitted to the GCF in November 2002 in PDF format. It contains things that I felt the GCF should consider in an effort to drive down the endometrial cancer death rate. I have the file in PDF format and will gladly provide it to anyone who wants to see it. (It may take a little while because I want to review it and possibly make a few minor editing changes).

However, I would need for anyone interested to provide me with an email address (not PM) so that I am able to attach the PDF file.

MoeKay
Unread 06-20-2003, 12:25 PM
Option No. 2

Beth,

On rereading your post and my response, I thought what you might be looking for, and what might make more sense, is for me to try to distill the information contained in my presentation and do a post on some of the key points I made to the GCF rather than sending a voluminous PDF file.

I'll take a look at the presentation in the near future and see if there is anything in addition to what appears in the GCF's NY Times Supplement this Sunday (which is slated to end up on both the GCF and WCN websites). If so, I'll do a post with the additional information.

MoeKay
Unread 06-20-2003, 01:37 PM

Moekay,

Exactly! Thanks. I just think it would be interesting to post the major points for a discussion, esp. because you did so much work on this. Thanks,

Beth
Unread 06-22-2003, 05:42 AM
MoeKay, could you send my your pdf file?

I am so interested...that is one reason I have decided to start the book project. I think it is frightening how the mortality rate has gone up. I would love to read your article, and perhaps "pick" your brain. Thank you sooomuch.
Unread 06-22-2003, 12:13 PM
Can I Send It?

Georgene,

I'd be happy to provide you with a copy. I realized, however, that the presentation has several attachments which are not part of the PDF file. Would I be able to mail it to you? Or, since I see that you live in Malvern, PA, and I work in Philadelphia, would you having any interest in meeting in Philadelphia some time? Then I could deliver it to you and answer any questions you might have on the document.

Just so that you are clear on the nature of the document--It is a presentation to the GCF setting out my suggestions for driving down the endometrial cancer death rate. Early this year, I received a response from the Chair of the Communications Committee, letting me know that she was going to discuss the presentation at the committee meeting during the Society of Gynecologic Oncologists' Annual Meeting this past February.

Why don't you email me and let me know what works for you?

Best regards,

MoeKay

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register