women's intuition, or...? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

women's intuition, or...? women's intuition, or...?

Unread 06-21-2003, 01:28 AM
women's intuition, or...?

Hi Friends...I had my hysteroscopy in January after 3 endometrial biopsies in about 3 years and several ultra sounds. My uterine lning had been growing like crazy even though we were trying to minimize that with depo-provera shots.

The path report from the last endo biopsy did not show a malignancy, but the results were said to be "unusual." When I had the hysteroscopy, my gyn removed 5 or 6 lemon sized polyps and the lining was 5 times thicker than it should have been. There was an area in my uterus that looked strange, like cobblestone. The path report came back as "complex hyperplasia." Yet, my gyn was not convinced that that was the whole picture. So, she sent my samples on to a oncological pathologist, who agreed with the diagnosis after checking my samples twice.

Since my estrogen output is huge, my gyn put me on megestrol to counteract the estrogen. One nice thing...since then I've not had anymore of the gigantic acne!

OK, I believe when they do my hyst, they are going to discover cancer. I am a really positive person, glass half-full and all that. I am not afraid, as I truly believe I am going to be ok.

I have mentioned my feelings to several friends who get quite upset by what I say...so I won't bring it up again with them.

Am I nuts? I just have this feeling there will be cancer found, it will be removed, whatever treatment, if any, needed will take care of it. Truly, I have peace.

I've had endo biopsies where I was TERRIFIED it was cancer, and none was found. But I've heard it said that God doen't give you grace to handle situations until you really need it. I feel like that is what's happening.

I really needed to say all this. Any thoughts, experiences, etc. would be most welcome.

I hope it was ok to say all this.
Much Love & Hugs...

Tess
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-21-2003, 01:49 AM

Dear Tess,

Do your doctors suspect cancer? Have they discussed it as a possibility? Your intuition may be right, but it may well be wrong. When is your surgery date?

I actually did a Google search on complex hyperplasia (because I wasn't quite sure what it was), and one site I found noted that only 3% of complex hyperplasia cases end up being cancerous. The site also said it usually responds to progestin therapy. Do you know whether your cells are "without atypia," or "normal?" This is apparently a crucial distinction when figuring out whether something is "going towards cancer."

I hope your friends can be supportive of you as you work through the anxieties that lead up to surgery. My best friend said the same thing: "You don't know what it is. It could be nothing. Yeah, but you don't know for sure!" But . . . given what the doctors found on my scans, I was already pretty sure . . . and I was right. But I had a big tumor and ascitic fluid consistent with cancer. If you don't have anything like that, try not to worry too much.

And yes, it's OK to say all of what you said. This is a great board to spill out fears and vent.

I hope that your doctors find a big NOTHING. :-) s!
Unread 06-21-2003, 07:11 AM
Intuition

I believe there is something to be said for intuition. Last summer I just felt like something was going to go wrong. That feeling was always around -- like a dark cloud over me. In November I was diagnosed with DCIS (very, very, very early breast cancer). Then needed a biopsy in the other breast this past May. Benign.

Treatment of the DCIS is finished. Insurance matters for that and the other biopsy are just about cleared up, pay the remaining medical bills, and that's it.

This summer is not like last year's -- there is a sunny blue sky above me. IT FEELS GOOD!

Mary D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-21-2003, 08:45 AM

Tess,
I definitely believe that if you are a prayerful person. God reveals things to you in an inner way, kind of an nnier knowing and it is always accompanied, by a peace that passes understanding. I experienced this thru out my ordeal. We do have to be careful because even intuituins that come from God are filtered thru our human imperfections and our mind can play tricks. Just keep praying, listening to thst inner voice and do everyhting possible to maintain and regain health.
Unread 06-21-2003, 10:51 AM

Hi, Tess and welcome. A pelvic sonogram determined that the lining of my uterus was thicker than normal (I don't know to what degree, though). I then had a uterine biopsy the results of which came back benign but with a complex hyperplasia. However, one of the things you'll hear over and over on this website and certainly from your doctors is that they won't know for sure until they get in there. That was my case, too. In any event, when I had the hysterectomy, they discovered there was cancer in the wall of the uterus. As far as the initial biopsy coming back benign, all I can assume is that the tissue was taken from an area of the uterus that the cancer had not yet reached.

You sound like you've got a good attitude. Truly, everything is in God's hands and God does give us the grace to get through these situations. I also had cancer found in the ovaries and am being treated with both chemo and radiation therapies. I'm just about halfway done with the external radiation and am starting to experience some of the side effects of the radiation. I'll be glad when that's done.

Anyway, all the best to you. I see your surgery isn't until August. Are your doctors finished with all the tests they want to do pre-surgery? Keep in touch!
Unread 06-22-2003, 05:36 AM
I understand about the intuition.

Last summer when I started spotting and then when it got worse, I knew something was wrong. I just knew it. But my gyn. at the time kept saying "it's nothing" and I didn't look any further. The past is the past, and can't be changed. Maybe I wasnt' ready for this last summer. All I can say is that there is a LOT to be said about what you feel you know...hugs and prayers...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register