Endo Cervical Cancer 1b / Support please | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Endo Cervical Cancer 1b / Support please Endo Cervical Cancer 1b / Support please

Unread 06-21-2003, 08:00 AM
Endo Cervical Cancer 1b / Support please

Hi -
I had surgery for and Adenocarinoma Tumor 1.5 cm
Endo Cerival stage 1b1.

I would like to talk with women who have had this.
I am very nervous it will come back. I had a radical hyterectomy
on May 12 ( 6 weeks post op now).

I cry, I have panic attacts, I obsess, I am driving away my boyfriend, I can't sleep at night.

I am obsessing so much it is driving my boyfriend away and I worry about this HPV which they said might have caused it but they do not know if I had it or not. Then I worry my boyfriend and tell him that he needs to get checked. He is getting very distant.

I feel alone - does anyone else have this worry about it comming back?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-21-2003, 11:54 AM

Hi Katiebells!

I think we all worry about it coming back. It's the nature of the beast. I'm over 2 yrs now and I still get anxious when it's time for my pap. It's much better than it used to me tho....in the beginning I would get worried two weeks before and stay that way until I got the "all clear". Have you let your dr know how bad it is for you? It's not uncommon and he/she may be able to help you with it.

I also don't know for sure that I have HPV but I assume I do. I'm not even sure a man can be checked for the virus. With all the reading I did about it when I first heard about it I never saw anything that addressed that. Maybe someone will come along here with some thoughts on that. The thing about HPV is that it's believed that a good majority of sexually active people carry the virus and that it can lay dormant for years.

I'm sorry that you feel your boyfriend is pulling away from you. I've read many times on this board about how men seem to have a problem handling this kind of thing.

I know it's easy to say, but do try to relax a bit. It's important now that you concentrate on your recovery. Be good to yourself.

Feel free to come back and express any questions/concerns you may have.

Unread 06-21-2003, 12:07 PM

Hi Katiebells ... sorry you are having such a tough time . I'm sure someone will be along soon who can give you more
information on HPV and your type of cancer than I can.
I just wanted to say don't be hard on yourself... apart from anything else 6 weeks is no time at all since major surgery.

Try to keep your mind on recovering from that . Have you tried a high fibre diet, plenty of fruit ,veg, whole grain cereals,
prune juice and LOTS of water. I also found walking helped those BMs sort themselves out.

You will get lots of support from women here, who know what you are going through.
Hang in there... the cavalry is coming!

Best wishes Maggie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-21-2003, 12:38 PM

Dear Katie.

You've been told you have cancer, have had a major surgery, and you are dealing with a surgically induced menopause....I would say that a few tears are in order. Please, please don't be to hard on yourself. we have all been where you are now. It's a tough and scary time and it really does get better

You may want to speak with your Doc. about an anti-anxiety medication to help with the panic attacks and sleeplessness. I know it helped me over the rough patches.
Concentrate on your recovery ! Apple juice seemed to help me with constipation, along with lots of walking, like Maggie said.

will be thinking of you...........
Unread 06-21-2003, 02:28 PM

Hi Katiebells,

I'm so sorry that you are struggling with these challenges! The fear of cancer coming back hasn't really completely gone away for me, but it has faded to the very back of my mind (I am almost 1 year out from surgery to remove my cervix). At 6 weeks post, you are probably very tired and sore on top of having to deal with a cancer diagnosis. Give yourself some time, and as KatrinaKay said there may be some medications or counseling that may help you through this very difficult time.

Maybe if you get your pathology report from your doctor (if you haven't already done so) you might be feel more reassured. It's very likely that the surgery has removed all of the cancer. HPV generally attacks the cervix, and with the cervix gone it is unlikely to strike again, although there is a small chance of vaginal cancer. That is why you must keep up with Pap Smears. But overall, it is very likely that all of the cancer cells are now out of your body.

As for testing men for HPV, it can definitely be done. The problem becomes what to do about it if your boyfriend does test positive. While many people can clear the infection naturally, the amount of time it takes for that to occur is unknown. And recent reports indicate that condoms will not stop the spread of HPV. So I'm not sure what the options are should he test positive. Also, if he is tested, you should be sure that you find out the type of HPV he has, since only a few types of HPV (such as 16 and 18) cause cancer.

Hang in there, you will get through this. Just take it day by day. Good luck to you.

Beth
Unread 06-21-2003, 03:21 PM
Hang in There

I find that when my anxiety goes nuts on me, calling a friend, sitting down and doing deep breathing, or most of all lately--writing out what I am feeling--has been helping me.

I am not a journaler normally, but the act of writing out these intense feelings help me to experience them so they come up and out. I think a lot of the anxiety for me was me blocking my emotions from flowing through. Emotions are energy in motion. They need to be experienced for them to pass--which they do. Try wrting out all the stuff you are feeling, give the different parts of yourself a voice. The other day, I wrote from the perspective of my immune system and it was a wonderful, joyful feeling. My immune system wants me to live and is full of hope--I realize that I need to have the self-discipline to direct myself there. But, the negative emotions need a voice too so they do not get stuck in my body.

I just scheduled my surgery for 7-1 for a radical hyst. with all the lymph nodes going too. I hope I am doing the right thing. I have grade 1 adenocarcinoma but we don't know what stage I am in. I am having some intense pain near my left ovary today--that is a little scarey... I got pretty overwhelmed telling an old friend about my cancer today. I really want to live and am reassured that 92% of women with endometrial cancer survive. I hope we are all in the survivor group. Love to you, Alana
Unread 06-21-2003, 03:26 PM

Double check the staging on that. A 1.5mm should be staged at 1A. >3 mm is stage 1A. I believe that 3-5 is 1B. I had a very hard time after surgery. I have 2 young children and had to focus on them. I did not deal with the pschological impact. However, exactly one year after my surgery I started getting panic attacks. For about 2 months I was a wreck and thought that I had every kind of cancer. Therapy helped me through this.

Time has healed me as well. I asked my oncologist to do CT scans every six months for the first year. This helped give me peace of mind.

If your tumor was only 1.5 mm a radical hysterectomy should be a cure in over 99% of the cases. That should give you some peace of mind too.

This is all very scary. Your reaction is normal. A few clear paps will begin to give you peace of mind.
Unread 06-21-2003, 05:42 PM

Dear Katie,

Dont be so hard on yourself It is very common to feel the way you are feeling. I am sorry to say the fear of recurrence doesnt go away completely, but it does get much easier each time you go for a follow up visit. My Surgery was almost 3yrs ago for invasive cervical cancer and I still get nervous. In fact I was a basket case for the past few weeks due to another abnormal pap test. But once again I was a nervous reck for no reason because when they redid the pap test it came back good.
I am telling you this after almost 3 years and you are just recovering from surgery so give your self time to adjust and go thru all the emotions and come back to this board often for support it is a great comfort to realize you are not alone and your fears and anxiety are very norm

Debby
Unread 06-22-2003, 10:50 PM

Hi there,

I wanted to chime in since I also am being treated for cervical cancer, stage 1B1 adenocarcinoma.

I can relate to everything your going through, as I've been there myself. Feel free to PM with any specific questions, I'm more than happy to help.

Take Care,
Kristine
Unread 06-23-2003, 07:41 AM
Thanks for the support

The mental aspects are difficult for me. But hearing you kind words and knowledgable advise calms me. I got my pathology reports and copies of other info from by surgeon and there was one guestion I had one question which I hope it will answer.

Thanks again for all the support.
It is time for me to get strong and tough.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register