Scar? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 06-21-2003, 03:43 PM
Scar?

How big will the incision be? What will the scar look like?

Thanks Anyone,

TC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-21-2003, 04:11 PM
Scar?

All depends. If you're having an abdominal, the doctor can go horizontal or vertical. Mine is vertical -- what they call bikini line. Your doctor should be explaining it all to you. My incision is a little longer than usual because she did some other work. But it's been a little over 3 weeks and is looking pretty good. How the final result will be depends on whether they stitch or staple. I had had prior surgeries and you could barely tell the scar a year later! I suspect this one's going to be pretty well gone by 6 months! Best of luck!
Unread 06-21-2003, 04:40 PM
Scars

Hi
My scar is up and down from just below my belly button. My OBGYN did a beautiful job and it will all but fade away. She originally was going to go through my 17 year old C-Section scar but my uterus was way too big, so she fitted me with a new one. (scar that is...lol) I was pretty upset when I first saw it with all the staples in it and stuff but it does fade and I am happy I sport a scar that says I no longer have pain.
I am not a very large person and like to wear my jeans that fit on my hips, I am happy to say, that I still can. Your DR will explain it all to you.
Question though;
Are you having a TAH? and when do you go in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-21-2003, 05:35 PM
Incision size

I have a bikini cut from side to side (not to disagree with the other poster but I call that horizontal like the horizon, but whatever). I am 4+ weeks post op and my incision already seems shorter than it did when I first came home I suppose because it is less swollen now. I would say it is between 5 and 6 inches long and was over 7 inches when I first came home. When the hair grows back it should be a bit hidden by that and it is quite a thin scar so I don't think it will be too bad. I had staples that were removed at 6 days post op and there are small red spots where they were but I think they will disappear totally. I still have the little overhanging ledge on the top side of the incision but I think it was a little smaller just this morning so I will cross my fingers that it will disappear too. I hope your surgery goes well. Good luck to you.

Henri
Unread 06-21-2003, 05:47 PM
Scar?

TC, I just returned home this Thursday from having my TAH on Monday morning. My GYN removed my staples the day I was being discharged. She placed some type of surgical tape over the incision to hold it in place till I see her again next Friday. Even though it is still too early to tell, I am quite pleased with the incision. I was cut horizontally about 6 inches across. She cut below the bikini line on me and right within a crease I had from my little tummy overhang I had prior to surgery. So, I suspect I will not see a real visible scar once it is totally healed. The one thing I do notice is the weird numbness I feel in my stomach around the incision. It feels like the same numbness you feel when you get novacaine in your mouth. But this is normal though by what my doctor told me. As for the surgery, everything went fine. There will be pain for a while afterwards, naturally, but it gets better with time. Everyone took real good care of me in the hospital and I am sure you will be in good hands too. Good luck and don't worry, everything will be just fine!
Unread 06-21-2003, 06:18 PM
Scar?

I have the "bikini cut" and it is about 6-8". It's under my little tummy pooch. I peroxide it at least 2-3 times a day. It seems to be healing well.
Unread 06-21-2003, 07:04 PM
scar

Your Dr. will be able to tell you best how long your scar will be. They usually know what they're in for and how much "room" they will need. Just a little warning though, sometimes they find more than they bargained for and plans change. I was scheduled for a 3 inch bikini incision and woke up to 12 due to undiagnosed stage IV endo. I'm not at all disappointed though since I'm pain free for the first time in 20 years. Although long, the scar is very thin and looks to me like it will fade to almost nothing in time. My entire surgery and recovery was so much easier than I expected. Hope yours goes as well as mine did!
Unread 06-21-2003, 07:15 PM
Scar?

I'm seven months post for a TAH/BSO with a horizontal bikini cut. It ran about from ovary to ovary. Six inches or so. I had stitches on the inside and the new super glue stuff on the outside, so no staple marks! It now looks pretty much like a thin line, a little larger and more red on the ends. I just looked to make sure, but the middle part is fading away. Yippee!
Unread 06-21-2003, 08:13 PM
Scar

I'm new here too. I had my TAH five weeks ago (5/16/03) I had a bikini cut that was 8" long but now looks smaller. I didn't have staples, I had 13 steristrips removed after 6 days. While the scar seemed really puckered at first it seems to be getting better. It is still wierd feeling kinda lumpy and gets really itchy every few days.

My dr had to go deliver a baby so he didn't get a chance to really check things over and tell me much other than everything was benign. He also had to do cyst removal from both ovaries. I'm looking forward to seeing him on the 30th so he can do a proper exam and tell me what's what.

I was so happy to find this site, it helped me to know others have the same feelings I've had. The numbness is about an inch above the incision (that I still feel) and is about the size of your palm. The rest of my belly is just starting to get over the feeling that someone scrubbed it with a wire brush. Now its more itchy.

The dr had said that there would be discharge from disolving stitches but I had none. Only problem I'm concerned about is the bladder. I feel like there's pressure on it, like I have to go 5 minutes after I was there - overactive with little results. One more week to find out what's up.

At the incistion site under the skin it fielt like a big ridge (about 1" wide) that ran the whole length of the scar. The swelling there has gone down a lot but the "ridge" is still there. Will it go away or is it scar tissue in the muscle?

Thanks for all the insight.

Wendy
Unread 06-21-2003, 08:22 PM
Scar?

I was truly upset about my scar. This is my third abdominal surgery and I figured the scar would be just like the others. When I looked at the scar it does not look bad at all, except there is a little dip--something my boss calls a sneeze (catch my drift). Well after I got to thinking about the whole thing I realized how stupid it was to be upset about this little hic-up (my interpretation). I am so lucky to have found a doctor that discovered my problems and did something about them. This scar will fade just like the others and it is a reminder that I am now a free woman. Now I look at my hic-up and am rather proud. At least it's an original!
Tricia

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register