15cm large right ovarian mass | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

15cm large right ovarian mass 15cm large right ovarian mass

Unread 06-22-2003, 10:28 AM
15cm large right ovarian mass

I am new here. So new in fact I jsut registered 5 minutes ago. Here is my deal. I was playing with my daughter (21 months old) on the living room floor Tuesday night. I rolled onto my belly and felt a mass. I called the DR the next morning and they saw me at 12.20 Wed. She sent me for an ultrasound (both kinds) on Thursday. She called me at 5:15 Thursday night and wants me to go to H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa Florida Monday at 8:30 am. It is 15cm. Solid and fluid filled and that is all she told me. She said she doesn't know what it is. I am 34 years old. NO family history of cancer let alone ovarian. I have NO symptoms, no pain or anything. I just had a normal period the week before. I have been on BCP for about 15 years too. I had a normal pap 10-25-02. Any suggestions or advise will be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much. I am a WRECK that is is cancer.

Thanks

Debbie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-22-2003, 11:20 AM

Oh, Debbie, how scared you must be! Sending big hugs your way! You've found a wonderful website with truly awesome women and we're here to help you. I always think it's divine intervention that we find ourselves here. I can't tell you how much I've been helped.

Anyway, thank God you jumped right on this and it sounds like your doctor is right on top of your situation, too. That's wonderful! Let us know what happens on Monday. They might need more tests before anything can be determined. In some cases, they won't know for sure until they operate.

It's a blessing that you've got your dd to keep you occupied.

Please keep in touch and God bless.
Unread 06-22-2003, 11:58 AM
Be Sure to See a GYN/ONC

They will want to do surgery and the best for that in case there could be cancer is the gyn/onc. Your Dr. is right in referring you if there's any hint it could be cancer. For sure until surgery they won't know. You will probably also have a blood test called CA125 and perhaps a CT scan. This is often a quiet/silent disease and the Pap smear you had wouldn't have detected anything going on with the ovary anyway. Keep posting--we're here for you. Ellen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-22-2003, 12:07 PM

Debbie, I can't add anything to what the other ladies have said, but want to wish you Good Luck tomorrow. Come back and let us know how you make out.

's
Unread 06-22-2003, 12:16 PM

I know how scared you must be. The unknown and waitng for results are the worst. I hope everything goes well for you tomorrow. Searching the archives on this board helped me a lot when I was waiting, not knowing what lie ahead.
Unread 06-22-2003, 01:16 PM

s Debbie

I understand your fright. But your doctor is right on top of it.
Sending you to a cancer center to see a gyn oncologist is exactly what you should be doing. This type of doctor is an expert when it comes to the ovaries. This doc will probably order a ca 125 blood test and a CAT scan. Like Margaret said, a PAP shows nothing about the ovaries.
But all of this still does not mean it is cancer. And there are many growths that prove to be benign at the size you describe. Unfortunately it usually requires surgery for certainty.
Please stop back and let us know how the next visit goes.
You are in my thoughts and prayers.

karenann
Unread 06-22-2003, 02:50 PM

Debbie--
Like all the other ladies said, Waiting is the hardest. You are in good hands with a gyne oncologist. Come back anytime with questions or just to talk, we know what waiting and fear is like.

Ruth S
Unread 06-23-2003, 09:11 AM
Cancer concerns - our diagnosis

Dear Debbie and all of you who were diagnosed with an ovarian mass,

Just a little over one year ago (had my complete hysterectomy May 31), I had been given a diagnosis where the doctor said to me that I had an 80% chance of having ovarian cancer. I had had all kinds of tests which detected a large growth on my left ovary, including an MRI and CA 125 (slightly elevated) tests. They all came back that it was cancerous. I went through hell, because I felt pretty good and thought I knew my body fairly well. Five weeks of hell...
well, sisters, the good news after all this hell they put me through is that it was a dermoid cyst, which means it is hard, not fluid-filled. And, one year post-op and I feel terrific now. It took me a good 4 months to regain my energy somewhat, since I am now 59 years old (today!) and had Graves' disease prior to this diagnosis. So, please remember, even if the diagnosis is terrible, your doctors can be very wrong and won't know anything until the operation.
Arlene
Unread 06-23-2003, 11:16 AM

Seeing a gyn/onc is te very best thing. I went into surgery with a mass larger than yours on my left side. My onc thought it was a fibroid, saw no reason to believe other wise,(my family history is devoid of cancer let alone ovarian), but, after he got in tere it tirned out to be an ovarian tumor ad cancerous. It's scary, it's devistating, but it is also VERY survivable. I am doing very well and intend to survive! Go about the rest of your ordeal with hope and faith and you may be one of the very lucky that doesn't have a cancerous situation(far more common than cancer). You wil do well, you are a strong person, but sometimes strong women don't realise it till the are challenged.
Unread 06-23-2003, 08:33 PM

I echo what Ellen, Karenann, Luna and Ghost55 said. The fact that your doctors are moving so quickly means that you're in good hands. The blessing is, you found something, the doctors then acted quickly, and you're now on your way to figuring out what it could be. So many people have to wait months or a year for their diagnosis. But it seems like you will have one much sooner. So it's a blessing that you were playing with your daughter!

I also have no cancer on either side of my family, and didn't have any symptoms until right before I went to the doctor. Things can go on in quiet for a long time. I felt nothing. And all had always been regular at my exams. Unfortunately, I did have cancer, and it's been an odd, interesting year for me. I'm trying to figure out what God's trying to teach me. At the same time, I'm tryin to figure out how I can help others.

In any case, I truly hope your mass is benign. Please keep us posted. If they do a CA125, get your number. Be sure you take a list of questions and write down the answers. You will forget half of what doctors say right after you meet with them, at least for the first few meetings.

Wishing you lots of hugs and prayers!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register