HELP! I'm home but I can't pee/must catheter | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

HELP! I'm home but I can't pee/must catheter HELP! I'm home but I can't pee/must catheter

Unread 06-22-2003, 03:34 PM
HELP! I'm home but I can't pee/must catheter

I'm home from my cystocele/rectocele repair on Wednesday. Everything went find for the operation. I had a spinal, no sedation, surgery took 2 hrs. used relaxation tapes on discman. No morphine just naproxene suppository, two in total. Only problem was my I couldn't pee so I've had to self catheter since Friday. I hate doing it. I've had tiny trickles of urine but that's it.
I pee quite a bit, 500 ml sometimes so my bladder is working well. My bowels seem OK. The first time I tried peeing after the operation I peed blood because I strained too hard. Now I'm afraid to pee so I think I'm too tensed up. I listen to the water running and have taken warm baths but so far nothing seems to work.

Can anyone help me? When I catheter I found it best to do it standing up and then I actually pee still standing. Anyone else do that or do you have any tricks to make me pee? Other than this problem I feel OK except for the exhaustion. This is the second operation (TVH in Nov) in 7 months. So glad it's over.
I could hardly wait to get home and get on Hystersisters for advice.

Brenda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-23-2003, 02:39 AM

Hi Brenda! I'm glad to hear you're back home and the surgery went well. I couldn't pee after my hyst/A&P repairs last year, and I went home with a Foley. For me that was much easier than trying to self cath (I was so swollen it was even hard for the nurses to get the cath in there). The Foley was my ticket. My bladder just needed time to rest ... when I took the catheter out a week later, I could pee on my own. At first it did hurt, especially at the end, and I went very frequently, but gradually I was able to go longer and longer in between and it eventually stopped hurting.

Hopefully with time yours will settle down, too. Bladders are such sensitive things, they just hate being handled at all, and this surgery does irritate them. Hang in there, and if you experience an increase in blood in your urine or any new, increased pain, I'd call your DR.

s,
-Linda
Unread 06-23-2003, 08:21 AM

Welcome Home, Brenda!!! I'm glad this second surgery went well. So sorry your bladder is giving you some grief

After my hyst with Rectocele repairs, my bladder was quite temperamental and was very close to having to be re-cathed. However, thankfully (I think), I managed to spur it back into action.

Here's what helped me:
  • I would run the water and listen to it
  • I would sit in warm water
  • I would immerge my hands in cold water
  • I would make sure to drink enough water and also drank some cranberry juice (don't know if this helped, since I didn't have an infection)

Hopefully you'll get it back to work very soon and will be on the off-ramp.

Be sure to remember your Princess training, which is: plenty of rest, walk for recovery and drink as directed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-24-2003, 04:44 PM

Hi, I'm having some trouble voiding in the evenings due to a possible prolapse (apparently the neck of the bladder falls forward and makes it hard to go??) anyways a fellow sister told that when you really have to go and can't that whistling and wiggling your feet would help, and guess what it really does......I just whistle and I start going

I know it sounds funny but give it a try it helped me!
Unread 06-24-2003, 08:48 PM

Hi Brenda
I was sent home (next day) without a Foley, but had enough trouble voiding that I went to the urogynecologist's office the next day. I learned how to self-cath.

She said not to let more than 2 hours pass before using the bathroom. If you have 500ml coming out of you, you may be waiting too long between pees. She also suggested that I stop drinking anything after 9pm, so I could get more sleep.

NO STRAINING -you don't want to put too much pressue on those new repairs! I vote for wiggling, whistling and water therapy :dance2:

I'm 15 days out from my surgery, and my bladder has finally calmed down. No more cath!

I hope it will go as well for you!
-Janet
Unread 06-24-2003, 08:51 PM

Thankyou for all the hints. I've tried sitting in a warm tub and listening to water run. I'm going to try the whistling and putting my hands in cold water tonight and I will report back if it works. I'm finding that I'm passing little dribbles more frequently today and that the urge comes on more often. I'm hoping that it's not an infection and have started to drink cranberry juice as was suggested. I tried ripping the toilet paper in sections as a diversion. I guess the main thing is not to think too much about peeing as you are doing it. I'll sure appreciate it when I can go normally. I've heard all the stories of those who couldn't urinate for up to 8 weeks or more. I don't want to catheter for more than a week or so. I'm getting quite good at it now fortunately. Thanks again.
Unread 06-25-2003, 09:21 AM

well best of luck, I know the whistling really works for me, I have no idea why except maybe you're distracting yourself and breathing out at the same time, I don't know!!!

I would check with the doc that did your surgery and see what they think if those things don't help you go, I know there's nothing worse then a full bladder and not being able to pee!!

hang in there and keep us posted!! 's!!!
Unread 06-26-2003, 01:32 PM

Well I tried the whistling which seemed to work a little. I don't know what my adult kids think when they hear me. I actually peed about 20 c.c. last night and this afternoon. The rest of the time it was more like 1 or 2 tsp at the most. Warm baths help too especially since my bottom incisions seem itchy and are aggrevated after peeing or having a BM. I"m feeling a bit depressed but at least I think it's getting a little easier. Will report back with my progress.

Brenda
Unread 06-26-2003, 02:03 PM

Brenda, I"m so happy that the whistling helped you, like I say, it works for me almost every time and I have no idea why....if I"m somewhere public I just sorta blow I don't actually make the whistle sound.....can you imagine if this little trade secret gets out there will be women whistling in bathrooms everywhere!!

(...hope you didn't mind my bit of humour there, it just struck me, all the woman on this site that might need that little trick and then I pictured them all, in public restrooms whistling away!)

anyways, best of luck, hope it continues to work for you, it's been a lifesaver for me! 's!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register