Ovarian Cancer--2 different opinions chemo - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ovarian Cancer--2 different opinions chemo Ovarian Cancer--2 different opinions chemo

Unread 06-25-2003, 03:42 PM
Ovarian Cancer--2 different opinions chemo

Thanks all.....I am definately going for it all. You are right....I need to know for my family that I did everything possible. The hair loss I know will be emotional for me, and I am trying to build myself up to be mentally prepared for it. I almost think I would just rather shave my head than to start having clumps come out. I know that in the whole picture this is just a minimal price to pay....when your hair comes back in is it thinner? Is texture in any way different from the chemo? Just want to be prepared. I think I would probably opt for a wig. Thanks again....
Julie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-25-2003, 04:24 PM

Everyone that I know, including myself, whose hair grew back after chemo, came back Curly, dark and thick. This is a whole new experience for me. I had straight and highlighted dirty blonde.

Rosalie
Unread 06-25-2003, 06:53 PM

s Julie

So glad to hear you are making what I consider the right decision. And a very brave one at that!!! I, like Ros, had dirty blond straight hair, that came back curley. And to tell the truth, I still miss my old straight bob. But what a small price to pay.
My hair started falling about day sixteen. With taxol and carbo, the nurses will probably warn you that before your second treatment, your hair will be gone. As soon as mine started the free fall, I shaved my head. Once it was shaved I discovered that my sadness about being bald was over. Anticipating it was the worst part for me. Since you are only getting three treatments, you may discover you don't lose your brows and lashes. They seem to take longer to disappear and are the first to return.
Best wishes, keep in touch.

karenann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-25-2003, 07:01 PM

I'm hoping that I stay blonde. :-) But if not, I have a hair guy handy with highlighting prowess.

As for shaving your head, you'll find that leaving a little bit on top is a little less drastic. When my hair started falling out (Day 14-15, just as the ladies here said it would), a friend came over to cut it shorter. It then kept coming out in clumps, so she had to cut it shorter than she had planned. That cut lasted a few days (though I couldn't brush it), and the my mom shaved the sides and back for me, leaving some on top. Once the top part went, the overall look was more shocking.

I bought lovies from the American Cancer Society catalog, and I've found them to work great. I also bought a cute hat that I only wear sometimes. And I finally bought a wig a few days ago, which, after making its in-public-with-people-I-know debut has been pronounced cute. I couldn't find anything akin to my longtime hairstyle, and I had to look a few places to find something that was bearable and stylish, but I finally did. It's hot, though, so I take it off at home.

I cried and cried when my hair came out -- both thinking about it beforehand, and during the actual event. For some reason, losing my hair became an emotional trigger about everything that was going on. So cry if you need to! You won't be alone! Even when I was upset, I did realize that losing my hair was the least of my problems.

To Karen's point: I lost my lashes between treatments 3 and 4. They're now all gone. Brow-wise, I've never had much brow hair to begin with, so I've been penciling in for years. The brow hair that I did have went a tiny bit sooner than the lashes, though. I'll be amazed if my eyebrows grow back thicker!
Unread 06-26-2003, 01:12 AM
Julie...

I'm glad you opted to have the chemo, I think, if I were in your shoes, I would have done the same.

As for the long term effects of chemo, I couldn't tell you, since I just completed my 8th treatment today, or yesterday by the time of this post, so I'm still having my treatments.

I'm one of the lucky ones, that will have alot more chemo treatments, don't know how many for sure, but I will be doing this for quite a while.

I wasn't to upset about my hair loss. The first type of chemo drugs I took, the nurses told me I wouldn't loose my hair, but I did loose some of it.

Then when I had my carbo/taxol it started coming out, not really in clumps but in clumps I mean it didn't come out all in one area clump, but all over little pieces that added to a clump, so it wasn't too noticeable at first.

when it started thining out, I had my BF shave my hair. I had what you might call a shaving my head party. My 4 yr daughter was the bystander, my 16 yr son, was the photographer, and my BF was the shaver. We all had good laughs, especially when they gave me a skin head mohawk. My son, was like, how many kids can say they have a picture of their mom with a mohawk. He thought it was quite amusing. The pictures came out fabulous, I was laughing hysterically.

Anyway, I'm a hat person, I heard the wigs are awfully hot and itchy, and I get hot very easily so opted not even to try.

I find that some people won't even look at your, and most people don't even care, I mean that they don't treat you any differently or look at you any differently.

Of course fellow associates at work are different. They try their best to tell me some kind of joke. Or you might find a present on your desk one day, when you open it, it is some kind of Scarlet O'hara hat, that would be impossible to drive with. It would definetly get in the window way.

Anyway, good luck to you....

's and ers to you...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register