What to eat??? Severe GERD symptoms! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What to eat??? Severe GERD symptoms! What to eat??? Severe GERD symptoms!

Unread 06-23-2003, 10:32 PM
What to eat??? Severe GERD symptoms!

Ladies......one of my many problems is that I have gastroesophageal reflux disease. I can't eat or drink anything without major acid coming up! I am really trying to limit what I eat so that I can try to correct this without surgery. At the same time, I don't want to starve myself! I'm trying to be healthy about it, but everything that goes down, comes back up. This morning I almost choked on my toast! Sometimes food gets stuck on the way down and it can be very scary. I'm afraid one of these times, I will really choke on my food because it gets stuck! I'm getting to the point where I am scared to eat! I didn't eat much today at all. Everytime I eat any amount, I feel like it is all backing up into my esophagus. I am taking Protonix, but it's not helping at all. I think the only thing they can do for me is give me a different med to try or do surgery.

Any ideas on what I can eat? Anyone here ever have surgery for GERD?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-23-2003, 11:51 PM
Gerd

I'm not a Dr. but it sound's so familiar to what I had
"Esophageal Stricture"- Surgery is the only way to correct it. It's a very easy outpatient procedure using a gen anes.

I had this done and what a difference,!!! BUT THE STRICTURE WAS FOUND AFTER HAVING 3 BARIUM SWALLOW'S .On the last one I insisted that they give me something to swallow with the barium, the Tec gave me marshmallow's -- they were able to see it!!!

The Srictures are caused by the Acid Reflux and if left untreated can end up with Barrett's Syndrome (don't want that). I was lucky enough to has some Ulcers but proved non-barret type lesions.

With surgery 2 years past and religiously taking my Aciphex, I have been symptom free. Please see your MD and don't prolong things, I understand the panic you have experienced.

Pasdechat if you like -- PM anytime -I know how you feel!

DRINK MILKSHAKES

Best of luck 's
Unread 06-24-2003, 01:33 AM
Protonix isn't for everyone

And, it's highly probable that the progestins in your BCPs are contributing to your reflux. It's thanks to higher progesterone levels during parts of pregnancy that most of us have so much trouble with heartburn.

There are a number of "proton pump inhibitors" for the acid part of the reflux. Although they don't stop the mechanical reflux, they do stop the acid production that leads to the esophageal problems. If one doesn't work (for me, Protonix doesn't work, Prevacid sort of works, and Nexium works the best) it's worth asking for two weeks of another one. Sometimes, too, you may need to take them twice a day for a couple of weeks until acid damage is healed in the esophagus.

Do try to stick with non-acidic foods; no sodas, low sugar, no citrus, etc. For some people, dairy can make acid worse, but that's different for each of us. And ask about the BCPs -- if they're not working for you, time to try getting off, trying another form of estradiol (low-dose patch, maybe) along with some low-dose Prometrium or compounded progesterone. It may well be making all the reflux even worse.

I've been experiencing this a lot myself, and my worst habit is the late night eating (in front of the computer, like now for instance ). I often don't get dinner until 9 or so with my work hours two days a week, and wind up eating very late -- and regretting it. I know that my reflux would be greatly improved if I ate lightly and didn't lie down until at least three hours had passed!

Do ask about switching medication before you discuss surgery with your doctor. And try one intervention at a time -- maybe give up the BCPs, since you want to anyway, and give your symptoms a couple of weeks. Also, let your doctor know that the Protonix isn't working for you -- it may just be a matter of working out the dose to get you through an "acute" phase, and once you have it controlled, you can drop the dose back once again.

Good luck! This is one where I can say "I know how you feel" -- I've been dealing with it for years, and it wasn't until Prilosec and Nexium came out that I finally got some relief.

Audrey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-24-2003, 06:29 AM

I agree with Audrey that the BCP may be making it worse.

I had a terrible time with my stomach and eating on ortho-trycyclene. I could barely eat anything and lost weight because all I could eat was cereal... anything else would make me sick and I would have terrible indigestion.

This problem started shortly after I started on the BCP. I underwent several tests with the Gastro doctor (who had told me that no way could it be from the BCP). The gastro even sent me to the Mayo clinic in Rochester MN. for tests because I was having so much trouble.

One thing I developed was something she called Globus (I think that is the right term) where it felt like I was having spasms in my eospaghus - it felt like something was stuck there.

Anyway, I simply mention this because I suffered for 10 months before I decided on my own to stop the pill because NOTHING was working to help my stomach. The symptoms went awat 2 weeks after I stopped the BCP and now I can eat fine.

So.... just supporting Audrey's comment about the BCPs and how they can mess up your stomach.

Sblumen
Unread 06-24-2003, 07:20 AM

I know how you feel Im on prevacid 2 times a day and only 30mg each, because I dont weigh enouh for other meds. I am constantly clearing my throat, the cough is somewhat better, now I see the GS tuesday and then a scope sometime after that. Now my dd is having to take prevacid, reflux is hereditary, so Ive been told. Good luck
Unread 06-24-2003, 07:42 AM

Just an fyi -- I heard on the news the other day that Prilosec is about to become available OTC.
The cost was estimated to be about $30 per month.
I'm currently taking Prevacid--best for me--but expensive, my co-pay is $40 per month.
I'm definately going to try to switch once the Prilosec becomes available, with my dr's ok, of course.
Unread 06-24-2003, 08:53 AM

Thanks for all the info. I know I need to call my gyn and tell him the BCP's are not working. He most likely is not aware of my reflux problems, so I will mention that to him too and see what he has to say about reflux/BCP connection. I definately need something to help with my monthly pelvic pain, so I don't know what he'll put me on instead. I'm also going to call my GI doctor and see about being put on something different. I've heard great things about Nexium. I'll let you know what the doctor's say and in the meantime, I'll get whatever food I can down me. Anything that doesn't feel like it's just going to come right back up or get stuck on the way down.......
Unread 06-24-2003, 09:50 AM
Pasdechat.........

I just thought I would mention this in case it applies in your situation.

I was having a TERRIBLE time with what felt like indigestion but much higher up (the only way I know how to explain it) it felt like it was just at the base of my throat. At times it got so bad it felt like my throat was going to burst so of course I was taking zantac and acid inhibitors trying to get some refief but NOTHING seemed to work, everything just seemed to make it worse. I mentioned this to my Dr. and he said that if you are taking ANY kind of narcotic that you CAN NOT take anything that has cimetidine in it (which zantac does) because it causes esophageal problems. You might want to check with your pharmacist if you are taking ANY sort of narcotic and find out if any of your rx's contain cimetidine. Once I cut out the cimetidine my esophageal problems were MUCH MUCH better.

Just a thought. Best of luck!
Dawn
Unread 06-24-2003, 11:51 AM
I'm wondering if that is what I have

I'm feel like something is clumped down in my throat and feel like my stomach is being pushed through my throat. I went to gastro and she put me on Acidphex. It seem to get worse. It feels like hiccups in my stomach. It is the weirdest thing. I stopped the Aciphex for a few days and it seemed to get better. I had something acidy yesterday and boom it is back. I thought I might try Prevacid again. I've got an appointment with Gastro next week. I'll probably end up having those lovely test. I can eat okay. It sometimes feels better while I am eating. It is afterwards that it feels funky. I never had these problems before!
Unread 06-24-2003, 12:16 PM

Dawn....I have often wondered if all the different meds I'm on could be the problem. I am only taking Vicodin when I absolutely need it....maybe once a month. My urologist told me he doesn't want me taking it at all, but since I have some left from an old prescription, when my pain gets so bad I can hardly function, I take it. I asked my pharmacist friend and he said none of the bladder meds I'm on should be causing these problems. I didn't know that about narcotics though. I definately will be even more careful with them now!

Dara, I know what you're feeling. My symptoms are worse than ever and I just went through all those lovely tests. I had an esophagram first, which really wasn't a big deal. I had to drink some yucky stuff, but it wasn't so bad. I then had a manometry test, where they put the tube through my nose and down my esophagus and I had to keep it there for 24 hours. That was no fun. I then had an endoscopy which was a piece of cake because they drugged me up I don't remember a thing from that! It was worth it to me to have all the testing done because it did confirm that I do have alot of acid coming up and I have a hiatal hernia. Now I just have to figure out how to fix all of this! Good luck to you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register