Colon cancer now a hysterectomy - ouch! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Colon cancer now a hysterectomy - ouch! Colon cancer now a hysterectomy - ouch!

Unread 07-08-2003, 08:54 PM
Hysterectomy after colon surgery

Just to let you know...after enduring the colon surgery and the pain, my last abdominal surgery was alot easier to recuperate from. I took the strong pain meds for maybe 10 days vs the 2 months following the colon surgery on morphine. It is still major surgery and you have to allow yourself time to heal and I think the hysterectomy is sometimes harder emotionally. I had 3 children and had already had a tubal following my 3rd c-section but the hysterectomy still hit me. I am praying for you and wish you well. Take it one day at a time! Take care!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-08-2003, 09:25 PM
Colon cancer now a hysterectomy - ouch!

Hi Debbie,

i have had 3 major abdominal surgeries in 10 months. The first was a partial pelvic exenteration llast August for a tumor that was between vagina and rectum. This was a RAH with removal of part of vagina, cervix, rectum and 6 inches of colon. I was given a colostomy. I was in the hospital 10 days,but recovered pretty well. 7 weeks later my small intestine twisted and I had emergency and 3 inches of small intestine was removed. At the time of this surgery more cancer cells were found and many adhesions from the first surgery. I went thru 6 treatments of high dose chemo and since Jan, 2 pet scans have shown no cancer. Last month i had my third and hopefully last surgery to reverse the colostomy. and during this surgery the Dr, A gastro/ onc removed many adhesions that were deforming my bladder causing spasms and leaking. This surgery was a but harder on me and I needed a blood transfusion , but it is now 4 1/2 weeks and I am power walking 3 miles a day, pre paring to take our youth group up Half Dome in yosemite next month. I am still having diahrea, going to talk to the Dr about this on Thursday, but I am told it often takes about 2 months to get your syetem regulated. I do have a scar from sternum to pubic bone, but it really doesn't bother me. They did open up the old incision, but had to make a new one too. Adhesions can be a problem especailly after abdominal surgery, but good Dr's have ways of minmizing their formation. My Dr, told me that adhesion formation is at it's peak two weeks after surgery, stays that way for two months and then start to diminish, but like old faded scars never go away. Debbie, if a wimp like me can get thru this so can you.
I have learned so much from the women on this board. mostly I have learned that it is not " There, BUT, the grace of God, go I. It is "There WITH the grace of God go I."
Unread 07-11-2003, 10:06 AM
Colon cancer now a hysterectomy - ouch!

Thank you, thank you, thank you all for such encouragement and good advice. My surgery date is set for August 19th. I am feeling much more at ease now after reading your replies. God is my strength and my shield. Debbie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register