Is this true... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is this true... Is this true...

Unread 06-26-2003, 10:03 AM
Is this true...

I had my colcoscopy yesterday. The Dr saw 3 'problem' areas and took 5 biopsies. She said the next step will probably be a cone biopsy. I asked her if I could just opt for a hystorectomy as I am done having kids and carry a 'high risk' HPV. She said no, I would have to have the cone first.... Is this true. Has anyone out there ever chosen a hystorectomy with CIN 3 readings? I have two small girls that I want to see grow up and I don't want to keep parts that I don't need and are turning cancerous...does that make sence?
=Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-26-2003, 10:15 AM
I am/have....

I have endo. but my last pap came back very bad - I had a LEEP and it was biopsied. With the CIN III cells I really think the doctor was surprised the biopsy came back non-malignant.
But, he advised me this is a YET and I would rather have my TAH before the cells mutate than after. He agreed and since I'm done having kids and want to be around (like you) - to the castle I go.
I will also be SOOOOOO glad to get rid of these heavy, painful periods. But, I am afraid what they will find.
Get a second opinion.
Unread 06-26-2003, 11:17 AM
Is this true...

Hi Lisa,

Sorry to hear that you are going through this right now. A cone biopsy is often used to both treat CIN and to get a better assessment of the severity of the abnormal cells. Very often, a cone biopsy can completely get rid of the abnormal cells, and can even be used to treat very early stage cancers.

Nonetheless, have you seen a gyn/oncologist yet? If not, I would suggest trying to get a referral, it would be good for you to have a second opinion, especially if you are not satisfied with the treatment options offered by your gynecologist.

So in summary, yes, a cone biopsy is often used successfully to treat severe dysplasia, but if you are not comfortable with that, you should pursue a treatment that would set your mind at ease. Good luck!

Beth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-26-2003, 11:33 AM
Is this true...

When I had my first occurrence of CIN3 I wanted to go right for the hyst also. I just wanted it out! My dr said no and did a Cone and I had 10 more years of normal paps.

When the condition showed up again 10 years later he again did a Cone. The pap 3 months later came back abnormal and it was then that we went for the hyst.

I agree with Beth about seeing a gyn/oncologist if you dr isn't one since they deal with this condition all the time and are the experts.

Good Luck!
Unread 06-26-2003, 12:46 PM
I agree with the above

Please make sure that you see a GYN/ONC as they are the best when it comes to female cancers. Also, maybe the doc is wanting to make sure the extent of the disease before he/she does the hysterectomy and that is the reason for doing the cone. Although a cone may have gotten it all in some cases it is mainly used as a diagnostic procedure, to tell the extent of the disease.

From Cancerbacup: "If there is just a very slight growth of cancer cells (microinvasive cancer), the cone biopsy may remove it all so that no further treatment is needed. If the cancer is more developed and the cone biopsy has not removed all of the cancer cells it will still have been useful in making the diagnosis, and helping the doctors to decide on the most appropriate type of treatment."

I do wish you the best of luck and hope that all goes well

God Bless and Take care
Unread 06-26-2003, 02:05 PM
Re: Is this true...

Quote:
Originally posted by lisagold
I had my colcoscopy yesterday. The Dr saw 3 'problem' areas and took 5 biopsies. She said the next step will probably be a cone biopsy. I asked her if I could just opt for a hystorectomy as I am done having kids and carry a 'high risk' HPV. She said no, I would have to have the cone first.... Is this true. Has anyone out there ever chosen a hystorectomy with CIN 3 readings? I have two small girls that I want to see grow up and I don't want to keep parts that I don't need and are turning cancerous...does that make sence?
=Lisa
HI, I have CINII and CINIII , I had first the bad pap showing dysplasia, then a colposcopy, then a LEEP which didn't get it all and now am scheduled for a TAH on the 15th.

I wanted to skip the LEEP and just have a hysterectomy also but he told me the same thing that I needed to have the LEEP done first. The LEEP is similar to the cone biopsy, I think maybe they are one and the same not sure.

He said that they needed to do the LEEP first to be able to test more and make sure there wasn't cancer there currently. He said that after the results came back I would either be told they got everything, and could wait a bit on further treatment, or he would send me to the cancer treatment center, or I would have a hysterectomy.

I don't have HPV though, but other then that have the same type diagnosis as you do. I know how hard the waiting is, and I sure wished I could just get it all out right away also.
Unread 06-26-2003, 02:08 PM
Is this true...

I should add that I got the bad pap result in february, and the hysterectomy is on the 15th of july. He told me after the leep I would only have to wait 6 weeks and could then schedule a hysterectomy, after the results came back from the leep. So having all the diff things done doesn't make it longer, necessarily.

Also, here in canada there is only ONE gyne/oncologist.. and they only see people with invasive cancer that didn't get taken care of by treatments from a ob/gyn
Unread 06-26-2003, 02:44 PM
Is this true...

Hi Lisa...

I too would get a second opinion but this time from an oncologist/gynocologist...

They are the experts in the field and will put you on the right track.

Rosalie
Unread 06-27-2003, 09:33 PM
Seeing an GYN/ONC

Dear Lisa,
My first surgery was in 1998 and at that time I had tumors removed from my upper colon. My doctor at the time proposed the partial hysterectomy as I had a large tumor attached to blood vessels in my uterus as well. I felt that it was a safe step as the tumors seemed to be spreading. However, I kept my ovaries. I had chronic problems with bladder and kidney infections, was treated for ulcers, had constant gastrointestinal problems and last November they finally found a large tumor on my ovary that had attached itself to my colon. This time I saw GYN/ONC and she took the more aggressive approach and removed it all. If I had it to do over again, I would have wanted it all done the first time. Your doctor is most probably wonderful however, the ONC will take a more aggressive stance on attacking the malignancies and taking preventative measures to stop any further problems. A second opinion is always a good idea. Good luck to you!!!
Unread 06-27-2003, 10:04 PM
I had CINIII

When I was diagnosed with CINIII I was told what my options were... LEEP, cone biopsy or a hysterectomy. I chose the hyster. From the time I found out to when I had my sugery was 6 weeks. I didn't want to fool around with it and with the chance of it coming back I decided to have it all removed. ( he left my ovaries). I was also bleeding quite heavy so this was another reason to have the sugery. I only had a small town General Practioner whom I have been seeing for 14 years & trust with my life. He wanted me to go to the city to see a gyn but I chose to stay with him. Everything went great and after the pathology report came back saying it was CINIII & had not spread I was glad I had it done. But what I did is not for everyone..it was what I felt comfortable doing.
I hope everything works out for you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register