Weight Loss/ gain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Weight Loss/ gain Weight Loss/ gain

Unread 06-26-2003, 11:32 AM
Weight Loss/ gain

I have just started reading all of the post here and have gotten a lot out of all of the sharing. I have been in Weight Watchers since Jan and am wondering if after surgery (I don't have my date yet but go to the DR today and belive I will find out) how your body reactes on the weight issue? I have two medium size fibroids and they are causeing problems by pressing on my Lower Bowel, lost of pain, horrid clotting/ menstrual Cramps for years...

So any conversation about htis would be greatly appricitaed...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-26-2003, 12:02 PM
Well,

for me I am overweight. I could stand to lose 40-50 pounds. Most of this is due to inactivity before because I was in too much pain to move much.

After the hyster I've slowly started to lose weight, although I haven't changed my eating habits much. I'm just moving more! The jeans I wore 2 motnhs ago (pre-hyster) are now a little baggy on me...and that's not even with trying to lose weight. Believe me...my body does not give up weight easily, so for that to happen on it's own is a major deal to me!

So...my experience has been that I'm now in a better position to lose weight because I'm not in pain so therefore I am more active.

I didn't have a big fibroid either (mine was more endo pain related) but it was enough to cause swelling. My belly doesn't poof as much as it did, but I didn't notice that until after surgery.

Congratulations on what you're doing in WW. I know it's not easy. I think you'll be happy with your results after your hyster. You'll certainly be able to be more active without pain! Yay!

Rita
Unread 06-26-2003, 12:09 PM
Weight issues

Greetings, and best wishes!

I've lost nearly 20 pounds since my surgery on May 14th. The weight loss has slowed down now, but at least I'm not gaining uncontrollably as I was prior to surgery.

Hormonal imbalances and having all that "stuff" inside was throwing me into the weight gain problem. I KNOW you'll feel much better after surgery, which means you'll feel more like moving around and exercising more. There really isn't any other way to lose weight...expend more calories than you take in, and be sure that EVERYTHING you put in your mouth is for your higher good. Sounds simple, doesn't it? I know it isn't as easy as it sounds, but it's a good thing to remember.

Peace of mind and a calm spirit to you,
Simi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-26-2003, 12:56 PM
Weight Loss/ gain

I'm down 18 pounds since my surgery. Some of it was probably the two fibroids (one honeydew melons size, the other grapefruit size), the rest was because I had no appetite for almost 3 weeks. I think I had actually lost more and gained back a few before I weighed myself.

I do agree with everyone that when those things went, so did a lot of my eating cravings. I did, however, start going into bad eating patterns a couple of weeks ago -- out of habit more than desire. I would stop eating much sooner and think "I don't want to eat this!" Much, much less cravings for sweets.

I've just started Weight Watchers to keep the momentum of weight loss going and to keep me from falling back into bad eating simply out of habit. Plus, since exercise is still limited and will be for some time, I need to be able to at least stay level until I can kick up the exercise routine. But, I already have more energy and know I'll be able to exercise harder than I had for the last couple of years.

So good news -- just stick with the Weight Watchers routine, and you'll do fine.
Unread 06-26-2003, 01:34 PM
Hi,

I was not overweight prior to surgery and have not gained weight after. I am taking the hormone patch vivelle dot and have not noticed any appetite surges. I started with walking around in the house right away. I then went around the block after 2 weeks, then progressed to longer distances and faster as time went on. I just listened to my body. If I felt sore or not good the next day I would back up what I was doing. While recovering I did not eat junk food or too much food, because remember you are not as active as before and you won't be burning much calories. I think a lot of people gain after surgery from several things, boredom during recovery, not eating healthy foods, and no activity. Good luck to you.

s
Unread 06-26-2003, 01:54 PM
Weight Loss/ gain

I too have been attending Weight Watchers. I had lost 74 pounds before my surgery. I had surgery March 24 and have lost another 14 pounds since surgery. It seems slow in coming off but I've always lost slowly. I now walk an hour every morning, not necessarily for weight but to help bring my blood pressure down, that has been very high since surgery. Just keep watching your points and drink lots of water, which you should do after surgery anyway. You should do fine with your weight loss. Good Luck with Weight Watchers!!!!!

Peggy
Unread 06-26-2003, 03:31 PM
Weight Loss/ gain

It's encouraging reading how many of you have lost weight post-op. I have been steadily gaining weight for awhile and have a terrible time geting it off. I wonder now if myabe what's been going on with the non-stop bleeding has played a part in it. My TAH is scheduled for July 7. It'll be interesting to see if one more of the positive benefits will be weight loss.

Judy
Unread 06-26-2003, 04:50 PM
back from Doc

Thanks everyone for soem great information, Water is all I drink any more except 1 cup of coffee every day, and I don't plan on not sticking to my points after surgery so I should be fine, doc (Now let me see if I get this right) is going to give me a LAVH (laproscopically assisted Vaginal Hysterectomy) if I got that wrong forgive me I am new...

He said unless he finds soemthing amiss that I will keep my overies.... and he will be able to see all that with the Laprascope...

now waiting for them to schedual the actual procedure... it will be so nice to feel better (I havent been abel to work out for a couple of weeks) and I love going to the gym... thansk for this great board!!!!!
Unread 06-26-2003, 05:16 PM
Ww

I too have been on WW since Feb '03 & frankly I'm now looking forward to surgery in August (took a while to get use to the idea since I'm feeling no pain). I have been consistently losing one week & then gaining the next week. The trend has slowly been downward but I'm ok with it esp. knowing that I have ovarian masses growing inside me & that's beyond my control. I feel that if I enter surgery eating healthy & still maintain that healthy attitude afterwards, I will reach my goal. Remaining positive and accepting what is!
Unread 06-26-2003, 05:52 PM
Weight Loss/ gain

I've lost 73 lbs on WW + 22 before WW. The last 8.5 came off with the removal of my tumors. Its amazing how flat my tummy is now, and they were pretty impressed when I walked into work today for the first time since my hyst.

The first couple of weeks I didn't worry about points but tried to eat several small meals a day high in protein to help with healing. Went to my weighin 3.5 weeks post op and had lost exactly the amount of tumors.

Last week I was up in wieght because of the dreaded swelly belly, so I'm expecting that I should be down again this week.

I had not done any exercise prior to the sugrey. Now that my doc has me walking every other day and I'm back to work, I expect to lose some more. I'm back counting points and drinking water again, so we'll see what happens.

I'm 12 pounds from goal, but with the surgery and not knowing what will happen with hormones, I'll be okay if I can get to goal by Thanksgiving.

Remember to journal and drink your water, and let us know how you're doing!!

Gina

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register