Cold Cone Knife Biopsy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cold Cone Knife Biopsy Cold Cone Knife Biopsy

Unread 06-27-2003, 05:04 PM
Cold Cone Knife Biopsy

Hi Ladies,

This the third time I have had an abnormal pap. Had cryosurgery in 1988. Then I had the Leep last October with CIN III but the margins were clear. Post Leep pap normal in February. Now this last pap showed CIN I and the gyn is recommending a cold cone knife biopsy. I have an appt with the Gyn/Oncologist for this Thursday, the 3rd for his opinion.

Just hoping for some input from someone who has actually had the procedure.

Thanks ladies.
Hugs and prayers
Carol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-27-2003, 07:40 PM
Cold Knife Cone Biopsy

Hi Carol,
I just had my cold knife cone biopsy done on Monday 6/23. I was very surprised how smooth it went. It's done under general anesthesia and took only about 20-25 minutes. When I woke up in recovery the nurse asked me on a scale of 1 - 10 what was my pain level. I said 2. It rose to a 4 on the long 1 hour drive home because the expressway was very bumpy, but as soon as I got home and relaxed in the recliner - it subsided again. The only pain medication I needed was (3) 200 milligram ibuprofens - given in recovery and then I took 3 more in the middle of that first night. Other than that, I have actually had more painful periods! I am spotting very lightly and I'm not sure how long that lasts.

I have only had 1 abnormal pap smear - that was about 6 years ago - and my last one in April came back as CIN III. My results of the cone showed clear margins and a negative ECC.

Feel free to e-mail me with any more questions. Good luck with your treatment - I'll be pulling for you that this will be the last treatment you'll need!

Lots of hugs,
Elin
Unread 06-28-2003, 08:05 AM
Cold Cone Knife Biopsy

Hi Elin,

Thank you for sharing your experience with the cold cone knife biopsy --- it sounds similar to my experience with the Leep. I hope my experience goes as smoothly as yours. So happy to hear that your margins were clear.

I too live a distance from the hospital if I decide on having the Gyn/Oncologist perform it. That long drive is one of the drawbacks to going to him -- but I do feel more confident with him.

Here's another question -- do you know why they choose cold cone knife biopsy over Leep or vice versa? Just wondering what the protocol for each procedure is?

Thanks for the well wishes --- praying this is the last of it for all of us.

Hugs and prayers,
Carol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-28-2003, 09:19 AM
Cold Knife Cone Biopsy

Carol,
I remember my doctor telling me he could do laser also, but for some reason he preferred the cone. He knew I didn't want any more kids and maybe he could take a deeper section out. I will ask him on 7/7/03 when I go for my 2 week checkup appt.

I read that by doing the cold knife instead of a laser type of surgery. the tissue is cut without burning off any cells, so the pathologist can read exactly what is there - knowing whether the margins are clear. With the laser, some cells may have been at the margin, but were destroyed by the heat. Remember - that's just what I read.

I wouldn't worry about the long drive home. It wasn't bad. The fresh air with the windows open helped clear out that anesthesia!

Take care and let's be positive!
Elin
Unread 06-28-2003, 09:31 AM
Cold Cone Knife Biopsy

(((Carol)))

I'm sorry to hear you are still having problems, but happy to hear that you are going to see the gyn/onc. There were times in my past that I'd have CIN 1 on a PAP and my doc would wait and re-PAP in 3 months. Most of the time it had disappeared by the next PAP, but then of course re-appeared at a later time. It was just a constant battle for me.

As far as the cone, it does tend to take a wider sample than the LEEP. Recovery is longer from a cone and there is typically more bleeding after the cone. The LEEP does cauterize the edges of the sample, which can be good and not good. On the one hand, it does "blur" the edges of the sample so it's not always clear what's at the margins. On the other hand, it also kills off cells left behind on the cervix, so that if there are any strays, they may be caught and burned if they are close to the area where the loop passed through. So, it can work both for and against you.

Good luck at your appointment. Please let us know what plan you come up with!

Unread 06-28-2003, 12:59 PM
Cold Cone Knife Biopsy

Hi Ladies --

{{Elin}} -- Good point on the fresh air on the drive home. Thanks for the kind and motivating words. I do hope this was the end of procedures for you.

{{Jeanine}} I hope all is well in your world --- I was kind of hoping that they would do a wait and see with the CIN I -- I thought perhaps if it went away it might stay away. I hate going through a procedure for such a low grade dypslasia -- but then as the gyn said she has heard of cases where it went from CIN I to invasive cervical cancer in six months - so I guess with my history -- they are tending to be overcautious. Well I am doing my research so that I can ask some educated questions of the Gyn/Oncologist on Thursday.

I am actually considering a Naturopathic route -- just reading about it at this point. But basically it treats the cervix with douches and vaginally suppositories of Vitamins and herbs. On a different board there is a young lady who used this method and had wonderful results -- but she had a ND who was working along with her Gyn. She is on the other side of the country -- so I would have to seek out my own -- and so far there are none in my area.

I will let you know which line of action I go with.

Hugs and prayers,
Carol
Unread 07-05-2003, 12:08 PM
Cold Cone Knife Biopsy

Hi Ladies,

Just thought I would fill you all in with what has transpired since I posted last --- the gynecologist called the other morning to tell me she had received the addendum report to the cervical biopsy taken during the colposocopy and she stated that she was retracting her advice for the cold cone knife biopsy. It reads that is it is the final diagnosis and that it was negative for High Risk as well as Low Risk HPV. That changes noted are consistent with rective atypia and that all changes are benigh reative changes. So I also spoke with the gynecologist/oncologist and he agreed -- he said he would not have gone ahead with the cold cone knife biopsy for CIN I changes anyway -- he would prefer to have waited three months to see if it progressed or it the body fought it off on its own. Just wanted to let you all know my good news and thank you again for your support. This board has the most caring, comforting and wonderful women!!

Hugs and prayers to all,
Carol
Unread 07-06-2003, 06:05 PM
Cold Cone Knife Biopsy

(((Carol)))

So happy to hear that all is well. Here's wishing you continued health and happiness!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register