Report on my first chemo treatment.... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Report on  my first chemo treatment.... Report on my first chemo treatment....

Unread 06-28-2003, 11:01 PM
Report on my first chemo treatment....

Just wanted to check in and say that I am recovering. I found that by day 2 & 3 I had bone pain/aches and couldn't get comfortable. Days 4 & 5 was so tired I couldn't get out of bed. Walking upstairs made me feel as if I was 90. Heck, I pretty much felt 90 anyway. Couldn't concentrate to read or watch tv. Are these common side effects? I see my Dr on Monday and want to let her know all the effects it had with me. My stomach was so-so. The pills worked when I got sick. Today I was crying...not wanting to be so tired! Can I do anything for that? I am better now, went to a block party and sat in a chair tonight. Couldn't find the energy to get up and see my neighbors across the street. Keep saying to myself, this too shall pass. Right?
thanks for listening. You guys are all SOOOOO brave to have gone through this. I am in awe.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-29-2003, 01:05 AM

Hi Georgene,
Your reactions sound just like mine, especially the bone pain, total exhaustion and inabilty to concentrate. I had difficulty sleeping too. I had 6 treatments and some were easier than others, but ( and I know it's hard to believe that now), it does go by quickly. Be easy on yourself
Unread 06-29-2003, 07:40 AM

s Georgene

We all handle chemo differently, that's for sure. I did want to tell you that I only experienced the bone pain with my first two treatments. Also with the nausea, try taking the medication before the nausea begins. I took zofran by mouth, three times a day, for four days with each chemo. It worked great! I kinda just felt like a lead balloon on day three and four. No appetite and very tired.
Remember to drink lots of decaf liquids.
Any problem with constipation?
Like Deb said, this time will pass quicker than you think.

karenann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-29-2003, 07:56 AM
Hang in there

Try to get through these 6 treatments as smoothly as possible. Do everything you can to keep to the schedule. Eat well in between treatments. As far as possible eat food that are nutrient dense. I used to tell myself to pretend we are at war, and there aren't much to eat, esp. flour, milk, oil and sugar! But luckily, we have broccoli, garlic, onions, cauliflower, tomatoes, eggplants, carrots, mushrooms.... I usually start with chicken soup with cabbage, carrot etc. when I can eat. I use a potato masher to mash it all up so that it is easier on my stomach. I didn't eat much during the first 3 days.. . the only thing I could get down without feeling sick is water that is slightly salted. Ask your doctor if you could take a good multi-vitamin - I feel that zinc, magnesium, calcium and B vitamins are very important. Check out this web-site:http://www.thefooddoctor.com/contactus.htm Click on "book" to read the book online. Eat some pears; poach it, if you rather not eat anything raw. Take care, Jo
Unread 06-29-2003, 10:07 AM

Georgene
I too only had bone pain for the 1st 2 cycles. Each cycle was a little different. You will start to feel yourself again and the it will be time for another cycle. Remember to report all your side effects to your doctor. They have marvelous medications to handle almost all side effects.

Hang in there. You have only 5 more to go.

Ruth S
Unread 06-29-2003, 10:07 AM

Hi, Georgene!

It actually sounds like you're doing great! My first chemo just about killed me, and I cried hysterically for three days *and* ended up back in the hospital. This fourth chemo has been my easiest, with bone pain and more fatigue than I think I experienced with the past few treatments. I'm already pretty much over it. But for the first and second treatments in particular, I didn't feel recovered for about two full weeks.

Jochan is right, and has been a great inspiration and help to me in terms so many things, including diet. Pears and watermelon seem to help, as do green beans. The B complex vitamin I'm taking has totally taken away the neuropathy I experienced during the first chemo, so I am sure to take one every day. I am also taking a One-a-Day multivitamin, though I would prefer to take more C and E (doctor says no for now . . . although the other chemo doctor says new research is showing that C and E help chemo . . . so it's very confusing).

My appetite has gotten better with each chemo, as has my diet. I am now trying to eat for health. During the first chemo, when all I could manage was potato chips with onion dip and ice cream, I was eating that because it's all my body would let me eat. Now, I won't let myself eat that at all. I'm making omelettes with soy cheese, broccoli and spinach; baked potatoes (dry); miso soup with soba noodles; healthy flatbread crackers with tuna; and . . . finally! . . . salad (yesterday). The salad made me very gassy, but since it was my first salad in three months, I greatly appreciated it.

As for concentration and memory, mine does get affected by chemo. I set a pan on fire (after I forgot that I was heating soup), so now I set the alarm even if I'm only boiling water.

If you have to stop doing the things you love until your body adjusts to the chemo, so be it. Your health is the most important thing. I had to drop out of a lot of things for a time, but I'm now doing them again.

Stay strong, Georgene! s!
Unread 06-29-2003, 11:36 AM
Doing Well

I had thebone pain only the first chemo treatment. The feeling tired out is vrey normal. I'd do chemo on Thursday and would be back to work on Monday but often kind of dragging yet. Each chemo I found was different and very do-able. You've got that first one under your belt--5 more and bye-bye forever cancer cells. If you feel lousy--think how THEY feel.
Unread 06-29-2003, 04:21 PM

Hi, Georgene and thanks for posting. You seem to be doing o.k. and progressing along, although you might be finding that hard to believe. I experienced a lot of what you've gone through. I also had neuropathy in my hands and fingers after the first chemo; but to a much lesser degree after the second (my dr. recommended B-6 which really has helped).

Bone pain lingers a few days as does the fatigue (but now I'm doing the radiation, too, so that seems to just add to the fatigue).

Frankly, it always seems that water helps me so much. I drink lots of it after the chemo.

You're smart to write down what's going on. Not only will it help you remember when you go to the dr, but will also help you for the future chemo treatments. Like, I know now that by day 7, I'll be tired of paying attention to myself and ready to feel better! We promise - better days ahead.
Unread 06-29-2003, 05:12 PM
Thank you everyone so much!

let me answer some questions. I haven't been taking vitamins (b's or multi) because I just couldn't do them. I am going to try them with dinner tonight. I wasn't constipated at all, but I think a lot of that is due to the effects of all the radiation. My diet was ok, not great. My husband grilled me lots of burgers and steak, which I could eat. And mashed potatoes were good. I have been drinking lots and lots, and CANNOT drink coffee. That is a good thing.

I am going to make some chicken soup and freeze it for next time. And that is a great idea about mashing things. That does seem easier. The ideas and suggestions about food were wonderful, and now I am starving again!

I am so proud of those of you that have gone through this. Thank you all so much. Today was such a better day. I woke up and even GOT UP. We went out to breakfast. I felt famished, as if I had been fasting for weeks. I walked around the mall a bit. So I can see better days ahead and now I know I can do this.

I kept saying to myself...this too shall pass. And so it seems to be doing that.

Thank you, thank you everyone!
Unread 06-29-2003, 10:15 PM

Georgene:

You're doing great. Your body is busy killing all those cancer cells and face it, war is hell! I'm sure the troops are tired from fighting. That's why we get a few weeks in between to face up to the next fight.

My last chemo, which was last Thursday, seems to be going better than any on the previous 5. I'm tired and I have some tingling in my feet. Other than that, I'm ok. This time I'm not taking anything for the side effects except Vitamin B6 & B12, and a Medrol Dose Pack. I was afraid to take Zofran because it makes me extremely constipated (6-10 days worth), and I still have the hemorrhoids healing! Wow...life stinks sometimes!

Anyway, drinking lots of water seems to help me. And...rest, rest, rest. The rest of the world will wait for you...

You will make it...and we're here for you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register