Two surgeries at once? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Two surgeries at once? Two surgeries at once?

Unread 06-29-2003, 10:31 AM
Two surgeries at once?

I know some of you have had two surgeries done at the same time, but I'm pretty sure it was all done through the same incision. I'm curious.....have any of you had two surgeries done at one time with two different incisions and two different surgeons?

I'm just curious. I see surgery in my future and before I even consider having either surgery, I want to know if they can be done at the same time. I know, something to ask my doctors, but I wanted to hear from you guys first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-30-2003, 08:58 PM
Two surgeries at once?

Oh ((((pasdechat))))) I'm not surprised that you are concerned about the possibility of having to surgeries at once That's where I was, kind of, when I had my hyst: I originally was scheduled for a TAH/BSO with Rectocele repairs. That would have meant an abdominal incision, along with the episiotomy-like incision in the perineal area OUCH!!! In the end, my ob/gyn decided to attempt a TVH, which meant only having to deal with the perineal incision. As a bonus, we decided that he would leave my ovaries, should he find them to be ok

I know that I've read about other members having more than one surgeon working on them at the same time and some have had several interventions all at once, ending up with more than one incision. Hopefully they'll be along soon, sharing their experience.

BTW, of course you're right: this is something that you need to discuss with your doctor(s), when the time comes However, it's always good to come prepare, thanks to the experience others have had.
Unread 06-30-2003, 09:18 PM
Two surgeries at once?

Dany, thanks for your reply....I also hope some more people respond so I can get as much info as I can before asking my doctor's about this. I put a call into my gyn today and I'm sure I will probably get a call tomorrow. I'm not sure if he's going to change my BCP's or suggest surgery. If he does suggest surgery, then I will ask him about teaming up with the other surgeon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-03-2003, 12:14 AM
double trouble...

I am a nurse also a patient (not a very good patient) and it is possible to have multiple procedures as long as both physicians agree that it is in your best interest and the risk does not outweigh the benefit. I had TVH on 18 June and they also did rectocele repair in addition to perineoplasty...the good news is that the mass on my r ovary was benign AND I could keep my ovaries ...the bad news is I am only 29...I have since (on 27 June) had breast augmentation. A friend of mine had hysto and abdominal plastic surgery done all together...they were reluctant to do my boobs with the hysto...ask--there is no harm in that, right??
Unread 07-03-2003, 02:22 PM
Two surgeries at once?

I had two, but one was minor--a breast biopsy with about a 1 1/2" incision that would have been done with a local had I not been scheduled to be knocked out for the laparoscopy anyway. But anyway, the breast surgeon did his bit first and then the laparoscopy was afterwards, and it was fine.

The itching from the plastic dressing on the breast incision made the laparscopy gas pain seem quite minor.
Unread 07-06-2003, 08:19 AM
Two surgeries at once?

I am so sorry that you are looking at more surgery, especially more than one!!

I know you have probably have read some of my posts, but I am in the process of getting my surgery lined up to have rectocele, cystocele, and vaginal vault prolapse repaired by my Uro and then a hemerrhoidectomy along with hernia repair with my General surgeon.

I am also a little nervous about having so much done at once, but in the long run it will be better according to my Uro since I will only have to be UNDER once and have to recover once..

I am still battling with my GS about the hernia repair since he thinks he should not have to fix it because he did not repair it the first time, but my Gyn did and does not do hernia repairs unless he is already operating for a Gyn related reason.

I KNOW I wont be able to sit for quite a while, but I am sick of the 2 surgeryies per year as it is and REFUSE to have 3 this year!!

Good luck and I will keep you in my prayers!!

HUGS
Unread 07-06-2003, 09:20 AM
Two surgeries at once?

Thanks for your replies ladies I am now possibly looking at one surgery......One of the surgeries was to have my ovaries removed. I just changed my BCP's from Levlen to Yasmin and so far I feel better than I did while on Levlen. BUT, it has only been a few days.....so I really don't know how I'm going to do on Yasmin yet. I'm hoping it helps with my pelvic pain(I was having cyclical ovarian pain before starting BCP's.)

With the other surgery.....well, I want to try a different med before I resort to that. It's the fundoplication for severe acid reflux and the daily pain and nausea that comes along with it. I am losing weight again because everything I eat comes back up....nothing will stay down in my stomach where it should be! I also get very sick with just the smallest amounts of food......I feel like I'm getting worse all the time. It is affecting my life.

So anyway, I had two different doctor's talking about two different surgeries and the thought crossed my mind about doing them at the same time. I don't want either surgery, but I don't want to be sick and in pain anymore.

Oh yeah, I see my Uro on the 30th and he wants to schedule a bladder distention in the OR where I will be put under.....maybe all three can be done at once I'm not ready to surrender to the two surgeries just yet though.........

I'm not sure what's going to happen! I hate this! Thanks again everyone

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register