Hi - I'm new. Should I see a gyn/onc? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hi - I'm new. Should I see a gyn/onc? Hi - I'm new. Should I see a gyn/onc?

Thread Tools
Unread 06-30-2003, 02:36 PM
Hi - I'm new. Should I see a gyn/onc?

This is a wondeful site and I want to thank you for the comfort I've already received from reading other posts. Here's my story: I'm 30 years old and have been dealing with cervical dysplasia for the past five years. In 1998 I had cryotherapy to remove mild dysplasia. In 2001, I had a LEEP to remove a recurrence of mild dysplasia. This May, I had another abnormal pap and found out I have a high-risk strain of HPV. I had a colposcopy last week and just found out I now have moderate dysplasia/CIN II. The nurse said the doctor will call me on Wed. or Thurs. to discuss treatment. He took four biopsies and one was in the canal, so I'm thinking I might need a conization. Would it be worth my while to consult a gynecologist/oncologist at this point? Since my dysplasia keeps coming back and is getting worse, I'm afraid I may need a hysterectomy. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Unread 06-30-2003, 03:05 PM
Hi - I'm new. Should I see a gyn/onc?

Hi Skylere!

I would definitely recommend trying to get an appointment with a gyn/onc., they are the specialists and will be able to offer the most up-to-date treatment options.

It may turn out that a cone biopsy is the only treatment you need for your dysplasia; however, if it's not, having a relationship with a gyn/onc will be helpful in deciding further treatment. Good luck to you.

Unread 06-30-2003, 03:07 PM
Hi - I'm new. Should I see a gyn/onc?

Welcome to the Cancern Concerns board! The ladies here are great, and I know they'll be a wonderful source of support for you while you work through the best course of treatment for your condition.

If you can meet with a gynecological oncologist, that would be optimal. But . . . they tend to be very overloaded, so from what I've seen, gynecologists generally don't refer people to gyn/onc unless there's fairly big concern that something is cancerous. I guess I don't know enough about what gynecologists know and can handle vs. when a gyn/onc would be the better choice. I just know that there never seems to be enough gyn/oncs around . . . and gynecological cancers seem to be skyrocketing.

So sorry you're having to go through all of this, but I wish you the very best with your doctor conversation later this week. s!
Sponsored Links
Unread 06-30-2003, 03:11 PM
Hi - I'm new. Should I see a gyn/onc?

I totally agree with Beth. They are the experts in cancer/pre-cancer conditons.

Good Luck!
Unread 06-30-2003, 04:00 PM
I would

I agree with the rest if you can get an appointment with one it would be the best plan of attack. If your doctor hasn't reffered you to one by now, you should check in to it yourself. As karenanne has in her signiture "If a GYN cancer is suspected, then a GYN/ONC should be consulted"

As Beth had stated a cone may be all that you need, but it is best to have a GYN/ONC on board for you plan of attack.
Unread 06-30-2003, 04:15 PM
Hi - I'm new. Should I see a gyn/onc?

An oncologist/gynocologist is definately the way to go...Please see one for another opinion and let us know his or her point of view.

Unread 06-30-2003, 09:13 PM
I agree that an oncon/gyn would be the

best person to see to determine where you go from here. I wish you all the best and remember, we are all here for you. Keep posting.
Unread 07-01-2003, 08:02 AM

Thank you for your advice! I agree the world needs more gynecologist/oncologists. I'm going to see if I can get an appointment with one in my area.
Unread 07-01-2003, 03:39 PM
Hi - I'm new. Should I see a gyn/onc?

I agree with the other ladies. You might also want to begin high doses of folic acid. This has been found to prevent dysplasia.
Unread 07-04-2003, 10:23 AM
Hi - I'm new. Should I see a gyn/onc?

Denise - am interested in your comment that folic acid can help prevent displasia. Any more info on that? Thanks

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions

Thread Tools

Forum Jump


Hysterectomy News

April 14,2021


HysterSisters Takes On Partner To Manage Continued Growth And Longevity
I have news that is wonderful and exciting! This week’s migration wasn’t a typical migration - from one set ... News Archive


Calendar - Hysterectomies - Birthdays

Request Information

I am a HysterSister


Featured Story - All Stories - Share Yours


Your Hysterectomy Date

CUSTOMIZE Your Browsing  

$vbulletin->featuredvideos is not an array!