Feeling really lousy 2 years post hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Feeling really lousy 2 years post hysterectomy Feeling really lousy 2 years post hysterectomy

Unread 07-01-2003, 06:05 AM
Feeling really lousy 2 years post hysterectomy

I have been gradually going downhill the past 2 years. The past few months have been tough, especially the past week. I am almost not functional at times. My white blood cells are low, however not low enough to have all the symptoms I am experiencing such as exteme fatigue, headaches almost 24 hours per day, pains in my body, muscle weakness. The list goes on. I finally decided to investigate the possibility of hormonal imbalance. I had bought some progesterone cream, but had not used it correctly. I bought more yesterday and will start using it twice a day.
I also yesterday started reading Dr John Lee's book and now understand that even though I have my ovaries, that they start dying after surgery and 2 years post, they are useless.
What the doctors don't tell us.
I also made a gynocologist appt and hemotologist appt. I am eating a much better diet now and am taking lots of supplements.
Ladies, please take care of yourselves after surgery. I have learned the hard way. I don't really have alot of hot flashes yet.
Does anyone have symptoms similar to mine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-01-2003, 06:32 AM

Dear Watsilva,

First off, I should warn you that I am not a Dr Lee fan at all and feel that most of his claims have not been borne out by real scientific research.

Progesterone is known to make one sleepy, so if you are already feeling fatigued, it will likely just make you feel worse.

I'm glad you are going to see a gyn, because it sounds as if your ovaries might not be functioning anymore (and they can determine this through testing) and starting a hormone replacement program might make you feel better. Make sure you tell your doc you've been using progesterone.

However, it also seems that this surgery can bring out flare-ups of other health conditions, such as auto-immune problems. I'm wondering whether you need a full physical with a primary care doc/internist to really look at what's going with you.

best wishes!
Unread 07-01-2003, 05:17 PM

when you have your blood work done, be sure they test your thyroid and testosterone levels. i would also like to invite you over to the hormone jungle...it may help you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-01-2003, 06:28 PM

I agree.. make sure they test your thyroid... many of the symptoms you describe could be from low thyroid hormones.
A friend was recently diagnosed with low thyroid hormones after feeling terrible for two years (and having multiple tests for other things)... she has been on the meds for it for a few months and feels better than she has in years...

BTW, my mom had a partial hysterectomy at the age of 29 but didn't go through menopause until her mid-50s... so I think her ovaries worked well far beyond two years.

I hope you find out what is wrong. Please let us know.

SBlumen
Unread 07-01-2003, 09:17 PM

Thank you so much for your reply. I am going to my gyn tomorrow and ask for a hormone test. This is my 2nd day back on progesterone and I am feeling better. I am using it twice a day, which I wasn't doing before.
I would appreciate any feedback from anyone on progesterone.
Unread 07-02-2003, 08:36 AM

when you get your tsh (thyroid) level #'s back, be sure to ask what it is...better yet, if dr will check your T3 and T4 levels along with tsh, you will have a better idea if it's your thyroid. i have felt kind of crummy since my hyst (almost 2 yrs ago) and my tsh came back just under "normal" levels and my new dr decided to treat it. my med is in no way balanced yet, but i do feel a little better already (after a week). i go back to the dr today to make more adjustments...:
Unread 07-02-2003, 07:51 PM

Hi there

I'm so sorry you're having such a hard time

I had my hyst 2 1/2 years ago and kept my ovaries. Over the years since my hyst, I've had episodes where I was convinced that my ovaries were failing, however, tests done in April revealed that not only are my ovaries functionning, my estrogen levels tend to be high. Just goes to show you that even after 2 years your ovaries could still be useful

However, it does sound like your ovaries might need a little help and I'm relieved that you're having your Hormone and Thyroid levels tested. Please be sure to mention all of your symptoms: as was mentionned above, a major surgery such as a hyst can trigger other ailments, such as autoimmune disorders, as I well know. Also, I now have problems with my Blood Pressure and will tend to feel really out of sorts, whether my BP is way to high or way to low.

Sending lots of s your way and hoping that you feel better real soon.
Unread 07-02-2003, 08:57 PM

I appreciate everyone's concern. Believe it or not, I just checked my blood work again and there is no thyroid test that was performed and I have 2 sets of labwork to be done, one from my gyn and one from my family doc and it is not on either of those .
I have to call tomorrow to find out if they will add it. I feel like I have to be the one to lead them through everything. The doctors in Daytona are kind of scary.
The progesterone seems to be helping. I was headache free all day, but I still am having little hot flashes, I guess it takes awhile to really kick in.
Unread 07-03-2003, 02:31 PM

Watsilva...........I am about the same time since my hysterectomy and AP repairs....and still feel crummy. I have become another person since. I am on estrogen patch for my remaining ovaries that refuse to dye off - and although I don't get hot flashes I do flush up. Panic attacks and bladder probs/pain are my "new leash on life" - I am finding so much is connected and although some women feel great after surgery...some of us are left trying to fit the pieces back together and hopefully can, with the help of a few good drs. Keep trying and keep changing drs to get the answers you need!
Unread 07-03-2003, 04:44 PM

if you need to find a knowledgable hrt dr, post for hints on finding one over in the jungle. we have a few tricks for finding good ones.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register