IVP Test for fistula - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

IVP Test for fistula IVP Test for fistula

Unread 07-06-2003, 04:30 PM
I DID IT!

I actually took my own catheter out. I was quite nervous about it. Sure, I can watch "Trauma in the ER," but don't let me be the patient! Thankfully it was pretty simple.

I just held my breath, cut the foley tube that led to the balloon, and out it came. I told my husband that if he heard me hit the floor that he should call 911 or something. What a drama queen!

Hopefully that will be the it for the excitement around here, at least until my surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-06-2003, 04:43 PM
IVP Test for fistula

Hi Julie,

Just read your post & was wondering why you took your catheter out. Has your leaking slowed down? Hope so. My dad asked me a strange question the other day. He wanted to know why I didn't just opt for wearing diapers for the rest of my life. He felt no one would know but me. Well, burning, constant leaking, smelly & changing diapers every half hour. He thought it was just like a baby that when my bladder became full I wet myself & then changed. I wonder how many other people think that is the way a fistula works.

Terry
Unread 07-07-2003, 06:07 PM
IVP Test for fistula

Hi Julie,

I spoke too soon. Loop-a-gram today looked good but uro scheduled me for IVP in October. Showed me where a vein looked good in left hand. They aren't going to have me do a bowel prep since plumbing isn't exactly where it should be. Giving me until October to get strong enough. Good for all the sisters that have such an easy time with their IVP's but I would rather do the bowel prep 1000 times then have a digging of my veins. I guess I celebrated a little too soon when I said I would never have to have one again. I see my therapist on Friday &
will start getting prepared. Considering hypnosis or hopefully they will be able to subscribe something to relax me. I am not greatful he is giving me this much time to prepare as I will have nightmares right up until the day. I guess IVP's will just be a part of my life no matter how much I HATE them.

Well, now I have vented, sorry to have invaded your thread!
Hope you will forgive me!
Terry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-07-2003, 07:47 PM
IVP Test for fistula

Terry

I am sorry That IVP's are so hard on you. As a radiographer, who performs them, I can say there are a few hints to you and others who are apprehensive.
First, drink lots! Many hospitals & clinics require patients not to eat or drink after midnight the night before the exam. However, dehydrated veins are harder to find and access. If able, drink the MINIMUM recommended amount of 64oz of fluid the day before the exam, if not more. It doesn't have to be just water. Any fluid without caffeine or alcohol will work.
Next, ask for the smallest needle size possible. Smaller needles are easier on the patient, and the veins.
Last, if accessing a vein is difficult on you, ask for an ER nurse or a nurse/paramedic for ambulances and rescue helicopters. They are used to starting IV's on patients in worst-case scenarios so they tend to be good with IV's.
I start IV's for procedures, but also have very bad veins myself so I try to save people from the pain I've been through. Any healthcare professional should understand if you make special requests, and if they don't you don't want them near you anyway!
Good luck!

Andee
Unread 07-07-2003, 08:06 PM
Terry...

no need to apologize. We are all here for each other. I agree with you about rather having to do a bowel prep vs. an IV. Those just aren't fun. My mother-in-law said that there is some type of lotion or liquid that was used on her before a recent surgery that made her veins "pop out." She said it was amazing how they just came to surface. Maybe Xrayandee can help more on this one.

And to answer your question about removing the catheter. It had nothing about the leaking getting better. The Cleveland doc said that I needed to remove it because my bladder was already becoming inflammed from having the catheter rubbing against my bladder 24/7. He also said that with having it out and letting my bladder "heal" will allow me to recover much easier after the surgery. He didn't seem to be a big fan of foley catheters. He said that I would come home after surgery with a SP catheter, but no mention of the foley.

So, it's back to wearing numerous pads during the day and diapers at night. I cannot imagine your face when your dad mentioned just sticking with diapers for the rest of your life. Obviously he has no clue what this is like. Just making a trip to the store for bread and milk is quite challenging. I just pray that I don't see anyone I know who wants to stop and talk. I cannot stand still for any length of time without the floodgates opening.

Take care and I'll be praying for you.
Unread 07-07-2003, 08:08 PM
IVP Test for fistula

Hi Julie

Did I miss something?? Why did you take the cath out??? Do you not need it anymore.. are you just using diapers?? I am confused?? Let me know and I hope everything else is going OK.. saw you got a date of 7/21 and will be keeping you in my prayers!!

s Dear Fistulasister!!!
Unread 07-07-2003, 08:12 PM
you didn't miss a thing...

See my post above...the doc wanted the cath out so my bladder could heal from the inflammation from being rubbing against by the cath.

So it's back to my 5 year old asking me, "Mom, what's that cracking noise?" "Just my diaper, sweetheart!" How depressing!
Unread 07-07-2003, 08:16 PM
IVP Test for fistula

Sorry Julie

I must have posted just at the same time as your post above!!

Thanks
Karen
Unread 07-08-2003, 05:29 AM
IVP Test for fistula

Hi Julie,

Hopefully you will be fixed soon. My last week before my urostomy surgery my supra cath fell out on its own. I leaked so bad it would just run down my leg so that I had to sit or lay a certain way for the diaper to catch it. I was totally housebound. My husband told me I shouldn't drink so much water!

(Andee) Thanks for the tips but I have been through this so many times that I know they will have to use a main artery. They already use the smallest needle. They always get the expert at the hospital. I am NPO 8 hours before procedure but because I have a stoma I normally drink water from the time I get up in the mornings until I go to bed at night. My last IVP was a failure after more then 20 minutes & 2 OR nurses working on me they gave up & sent me home. They say my veins roll. Maybe I will get lucky now that my dr has marked a good vein although that same vein is gone today. Last time in hospital I abcessed so many veins that my dr just took them out & put me on oral meds & sent me home early then he had intended. I wouldn't recommend that course of action.

I hope your surgery is soon because I can't imagine how uncomfortable a diaper would be in this heat. It is difficult enough with my pouches but at least I can empty them when I like & I can use ice packs to keep cool.

God Bless you Julie,
Terry
Unread 07-08-2003, 09:15 AM
IVP Test for fistula

Geesh Terry and Julie....

First off sorry Terry you are having an IVP. I hated the prep although I see you don't have to have one.... <smile>
I have a hard time with veins too. Usually it take two nurses to get one....after 2 tries they call in someone else. I don't mind the needles too much....although I'm having a "possible" biopsy on Friday for a mole that in on my front of my pubic region....not happy about a possible needle THERE. Hang in there Terry...you are one TOUGH gal. ((((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))

Julie sorry about you having to wear diapers. I too know how horrible that is....and embarrasing....but I came to the conclusion after 5 months of being cath'd and walking into hospitals with an outside urine bag that *I* didn't care what people thought....Let them walk a mile in OUR shoes....after what we've been through. I hope your bladder gets the healing it needs before your surgery.

I will keep you BOTH in my thoughts.

Please post with any questions Julie about SP cath....
I hated it too...but I only had it for the last 4 weeks after my repair and had the foley for about 4 1/2 months...YIKES!

Renee

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register