6 months post-op: hair loss? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

6 months post-op: hair loss? 6 months post-op: hair loss?

Unread 07-01-2003, 10:02 PM
6 months post-op: hair loss?

Hi Hyster-Sisters:

I had a LAVH 12/02. Kept ovaries.

Great recovery, no complications. Very minimal swelling, returned to normal activities within a few weeks. (So TAKE HEART those of you who are facing your hyst.) The pre-op was worse than the post-op for me.

Here's my question: Anybody lose hair a few months after surgery?

My hair stylist said sometimes anesthsia triggers hair loss.

My GP doc tested me last week for thyroid problems and I tested just fine. Healthy and BLESSED but still losing tons of hair...He suggested sometimes it's a reaction to stress or post-traumatic stress. I don't feel stressed, sure very sad that I can't have a child (I'm 41) but not stressed.

GP said hair goes through cycles and I'm just in a waning cycle.

Anybody else?

Hang in there Hysters...I am developing the gift of acceptance of my hyster. The ONLY good thing is I don't have the monthly TOM! HIP HIP HORRAH!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-01-2003, 10:19 PM

Yep-I did lose some hair...especially near my temples....it was so strange, and I have dark hair and pale skin, so it to me was very noticeable. It was also temporary. My hair has grown back and is pretty much back to normal. I also heard that the anesthesia can cause this. Don't be worried. Pretty soon, you will look at your reflection and realize-hey-my hair grew back! Take care and God bless! Liltear
Unread 07-02-2003, 07:26 AM

Yes! I had the same thing happen. I had 4 operations within a year and a half, and I lost a lot of hair. Mine is thin/fine to begin with so this really worried me. My doc also ran some tests, and everything came back fine. He said that the anesthetic (sp?) does a real number on our bodies (hair included). I'm happy to say that my hair is now back to normal. It probably did take a good year...but it's fine now. I do shed a bit more then I used too...but it must be age or something. At least it grows back.

There have been many threads on this very topic (lots of good info). I did a search and found a couple for you to look at. Just click on these links. You can also do a search...You will find many sisters have posted about this. Good Luck, and let us know when you see some improvement...

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...ight=hair+loss

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...ight=hair+loss

S

Jude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-02-2003, 07:23 PM

Hi there

I've always been one to loose tons of hair, all the time. I know that it's genetic because my DD, 7 1/2, also "sheds" a lot.

However, after my hyst, I lost a lot of hair. To the point that my already thin hair got even thinner And my usually oily hair got very dry!!!

I thought that it was hormonal, since, at the time, I was also dealing with extreme PMS symptoms (I kept my ovaries) and with peri-menopausal symptoms However, like you, both my thyroid and hormone levels came out fine.

Both my hairdresser and my ob/gyn said that the additional hair loss could be due to a reaction to trauma. On a related note: I've lost over 50 lbs in the past two years and my hair has gotten a lot thinner than usual... again. And, once again, my hair dresser said that it was normal reaction to a shock and that loosing weight, having surgery, etc. is a shock to our system.

It's great that you mentionned to your doctor and had your thyroid levels tested: at least, you've ruled out possible complications and your doctor is aware of your concerns.

Sending lots of s your way. Hopefully, things will ease up real soon.
Unread 07-03-2003, 07:25 AM

Gizmo,
Yep, my hair was a real mess post op :hair: My hair was like straw, I was pulling clumps out on a daily basis and it wouldn't hold a perm. I think it's a combination of the anethesia and the hormones. Even though you kept your ovaries the blood supply to them is cut off during surgery.

My hairdresser suggested that I start using a vitamin enriched shampoo and conditioner. I like Infusium. My hairdresser also deep conditioned my hair about every 2 weeks. I got regular trims, more than I usually do, to get rid of the bad hair. I also started taking Evening Primrose Oil and Fish Oil. You can read more about EPO here https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/hsa...hp?s=&id=97205 And here's a great thread with some more info https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...&threadid=9467

Within about a month we started to notice a difference in my hair, for the better. My hairdresser could see that the new growth was good and I gradually stopped the shedding. Within about 3 months I was able to get a perm again.
Unread 07-05-2003, 12:29 AM

I tend to shed alot to if I've had any stress to the body such as weight loss, anasthesia, illnesses etc.. and noticed I lost a fair bit after the surgery too. Whenever I shed alot of hair I take a vitamin and mineral supplement specific to hair, nails and skin - apparently zinc and magnesium are lacking when we lose more hair than usual. Anyway the supplements work for me as does taking it easy and looking after myself
Unread 07-05-2003, 10:23 AM
Hi,

Yes, I am post op 4 months now and it still sheds, but it seems to be slowing down. I take fish oil, evening primrose, vitamins and use Nioxin shampoo and conditioner. It is a bio-nutrient formula and seems to be working. I had a negative thyroid test as well. I was told it was from the trauma of surgery. It sure lasts a long time, that is all I can say.

s

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register