CT scan clear BUT...... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

CT scan clear BUT...... CT scan clear BUT......

Unread 07-02-2003, 07:22 AM
CT scan clear BUT......

I will be doing a PET scan either tomorrow or this monday. And then we will set down and talk about what the plan of attack is on Wednesday. Such as excision of that is bad, another internal???, or chemo. I don't know for sure just rambeling.

I do hope and pray that the PET scan shows nothing. I do know however that CT scans & MRI's are not that accurate as far as detecting tumors. Has anyone had one??? Karenanne?? I know that you (karenanne) have kinda pushed them. When there has been even the incling of reccurance. Does it give you the diaharra that the CT goop does?? About all I know about it is that you drink a bunch of glucose water?? and that the cancer cells love the stuff and get more than their fair share. And when the scan is done where there is cancer it shows up more than non-cancerous areas. Kinda paraphrasing here and rambeling.

Wish me luck on the PET scan and PRAY that it is clear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-02-2003, 07:46 AM
CT scan clear BUT......

Jane, you're certainly in my thoughts and prayers now and until you clear this hurdle. I've never had a PET scan so I can't help you out with any feedback there. I'm always amazed, though, at the technology that's available to help get us better. It sounds as though your doctors are right on top of this. Wednesday will be here before you know it. Big HUGS!! and God bless.
Unread 07-02-2003, 08:14 AM
CT scan clear BUT......

(((Jane)))

I'm so glad to hear your CT scan came out fine. Here's wishing you luck with your PET scan. Once all the information is in place, I'm sure you and your docs can come up with a successful plan of care that will banish those cancer cells forever!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-02-2003, 08:26 AM
Thank you

Thank you for your replies, well the PET scan is scheduled for Wednesday and meet with the doc on Monday the 14th.
Unread 07-02-2003, 08:49 AM
Jane, good luck with the PET scan.

You will be in my thoughts and prayers!!!
Unread 07-02-2003, 09:22 AM
CT scan clear BUT......

Jane,

The PET scan is an excellant diagnostic tool for detecting certain cancers. The CAT scan still remains the best for detecting tumors, particularly soft tissue ones such as sarcomas. Wishing you the best outcome on your tests.
Unread 07-02-2003, 11:30 AM
CT scan clear BUT......

Jane,

I have had 3 PET scans. The one last November showed cancer in the pelvis, abdomen and pharynx, none of which showed on CT. It is possible that some of these hot spots were infections, because some times infections can show as cancer. I had Pet scans in Jan and April which are all clear. You don't have to drink anything at all, but musn't eat or drink anything but water on day of test. You are injected with radio active sugar and must sit in a darkened room for 45 minutes, They tell you to try not to think, because they want as little brain activity as possible. Usually not thinking isn't a problem for me, but trying not to think is an oxymoron. After the 45 minutes you are in a machine similar to fairly noisy for an hour. You are only in as far as your nose, so your eyes can see. it is painless, but boring. The tech sits in the next room as images appear on computer. He allowed my husband to sit with him and gave us the good news before it was officiallyt given to us by the Dr. My first bad PET was at a different facility, a mobile trailer that comes to the hospital twice a month and they didn't let my husband in. I pray you quickly get good results.
Unread 07-02-2003, 03:13 PM
Wishing Good Results on PET

I've heard this is an excellent test and will get what a CT can miss. Wishing that yours is clear--and that the glucose or whatever doesn't act like the CT drink does. Best wishes. Ellen
Unread 07-02-2003, 05:18 PM
CT scan clear BUT......

s Jane

I am glad to hear the CAT was normal. Clearly that means no tumor activity above a certain size.
PET scans measure metobolic activity. Cancer is an area with rapidly dividing cells. Hence, even before a tumor is large enough to show on a CAT, an area of rapidly dividing cells will show via a PET scan by it's rapid uptake of sugar.
Hope this makes sense to you. And as always Jane, my thoughts and prayers are with you.

karenann
Unread 07-02-2003, 09:45 PM
hugs

Jane, I hope everything on your PET scan is clear, and so glad your cat scan was normal.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register