Uro Appointment - cystocele & rectocele :( | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Uro Appointment - cystocele & rectocele :( Uro Appointment - cystocele & rectocele :(

Unread 07-02-2003, 08:49 PM
Uro Appointment - cystocele & rectocele :(

Hi girls, well my long awaited appointment with the new uro was finally today.....she's a lovely lady (so far) very kind, attentive and gentle! She took a long verbal from me and said right off the bat that it sounded more like I had more then one kind of prolapse going on but to get a better idea she was going to have to give me a urethral exam......

she took my BP first which has been running high but reached an all time high of 160/100 today.....she was freaking about that said I better keep an eye on it but that it was partially due to being in her office and being nervous.....I took this opportunity to explain how my last uro always hurt me when he did the urethral exam and she said she would do her best to not hurt me.

she said she didn't have to go too far into the urethra before she ran into my small bowel, and beside it was my bladder, she said that she also felt something else but is not sure if it's more small bowel or what but none of these things are supposed to be at the opening to your urethra.....so she has scheduled me for some sort of special xray where you stand so she can see what organ is where and what has the most degree of prolapse and what way was best to do the "repair" and who besides herself would be needed (a GS?? I don't know)......also she wants to do a cystoscopy to have a look in my bladder and to see where the neck is actually sitting I can't have any of the freezing gel so she is going to have an anesthetist there to give me a little something if I need it...

..she wouldn't discuss the repair or what we would be involved till we do these tests and she said she wanted to remind me that due to my history of many procedures that there is always the chance of reoccurance of prolapse after the repair (didn't like that line much but hey it has to be said I guess)

they are going to try and fit me in for both tests this week as I"m off on holidays and I wouldn't have to work up an excuse for work but the cystoscopy date was Fri and they didn't call by the end of the day today , so I guess I'll call in the morning and see if they can get me in, that would be a load off my mind to not have to take time off work for it...she is also doing a ton of bloodwork .

she said its' common for this to happen, she said that all our organs only have one set of supports and sometimes when some things are removed gravity takes it toll it's just a matter of how soon.

my take on this is a) I'm very happy she was able to diagnose me quickly and at least didn't say "I don't know, and I don't think I can help you with it...... and b) I am freaked out about having this done and will have to at some point start asking you girls about your repairs.....

that's the update, thanks for listening to my long story!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-03-2003, 07:58 PM

Hi there, just wanted to let you know that I went for my bloodwork this morning, turns out she's checking my kidney functions as well as a bunch of other stuff......then the dr's office called to find out where I'd had my bloodwork done as they'd like to "expedite" it and get the results as soon as possible (which scared me a little?)

then they called this afternoon to say my cystoscopy will be tomorrow morning (which is truly amazing for here, normally you wait 3mths or more for things like this) and that I would be knocked out for it so nothing after midnight and I would need a ride home.

no word on this special xray I"m supposed to have but hopefully the scope tomorrow will shine some light on where everything is "sitting"........sure would luv to hear from any sisters who've had repairs for either thing, thanks for listening 's!!
Unread 07-03-2003, 08:11 PM

Gidge

So sorry for all these new problems- I have not had these repairs, but just want to wish you the best and I am sure all will be well for you real soon!! Good luck tomorrow and keep us posted!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-03-2003, 08:14 PM

thanks for the hugs Karen, sometimes it just helps to know that someone is listening out there!!!

I'm hoping that this scope will give the uro the answers she needs and am happy I will be in "la la land" for it.....didn't really relish the idea of being awake for it!
Unread 07-04-2003, 12:02 AM

Hi Gidge, I just wanted to pop in and wish you luck tomorrow!! Well, actually it is 2am here so it is today now!!

PLEASE let us know how it goes and I will keep you in my prayers if I ever get to bed, if not I will pray awake!!!

Unread 07-04-2003, 07:04 AM

Dear Gidge....Sending you many S

I am sorry that I am late in offering you my support. I hope and pray these tests determine 'exactly' what is going on with you sweetie.

You are in my heart and prayers...and I am pleased that you have found a caring and thorough Dr.

Love,

Jude
Unread 07-05-2003, 04:38 PM

Hi ((((Gidge))))) So sorry I didn't see this thread until now I hope the cystoscopy went well, yesterday.

I'm, finally, seeing a uro either this Thursday or next Thursday ( ) and I'm wondering what she'll do as far as test. I do know that I have now reached a point where I can no longer live with this incontinence: Yesterday, I kept going and going and going to the bathroom. Early in the evening, dh and I decided to walk to the convenience store. We were gone a total of 30 to 45 minutes. I made sure to go, twice, before I left. Still.... I wasn't even there and I already felt the urge and I didn't make it home

I know that I have to do a chart of when I urinate and how much for 24 hours, so, since I don't remember when I have the appointment, I'll do it tomorrow. I also plan to indicate when I have "accidents".

Where the repairs are concerned, don't fret too much about it: I had my rectocele repaired at the same time as my hyst and, while I was very sore for the first 2 weeks, the pain was very easily managed with extra-strength Tylenol. One thing though, do be sure to take a pillow to sit on and to ask for a peri-bottle: it's a little squirt bottle, that you fill with warm water and then use to spray on the perineum after each visit to the bathroom or any time the stitches feel uncomfortable.

Oh, and don't fret too much about the possibility of the prolapse recurring: I was told the same thing where my rectocele was concerned. One thing to make sure, is to avoid straining and lifting heavy objects.... forever.

Where the "special x-ray" is concerned, I wonder if your uro meant an IVP? I had one before my hyst and it's nothing to fret about, even though I did: they inject a dye intravenously and then take a serious of pictures, including one where you "stand" on the table (they actually had the table pivot so I ended up in a standing position --- very strange feeling).

Sending lots of s your way. You might actually be on your way to recovery and, at least partially, off this road.
Unread 07-05-2003, 07:14 PM

Hi girls....thanks so much for your replies and the info, the more I know the better I feel about this it seems....turns out maybe I have a entrocele not a rectocele....she never gave them names she just said that my small bowel had prolapsed and so had my bladder the bowel being worse and I've had someone tell me that's an entrocele not a rectocele.....guess I"ll have to ask for names!!! I would rather have both fixed at once, cause as I'm sure most of you know I'd rather have NO more surgeries never mind go back for one later on!

They sedated me alot for my cystoscopy due to my lidocaine allergy, but it wasn't a general.....the last thing I remember is this nice older German female anesthetist saying "here comes the sleepy stuff" and then suddenly I'm sitting there in the exact same position and they say I"m all done....I proceeded to argue with them and say "you haven't done anything I haven't even gone to sleep" they ended up showing me the dr's signature and surgery time just so i"d believe them......

I didn't get to see the doc.....I'm supposed to call on Mon for a follow up appt and will hopefully find out more about this xray at the same time...she left a prescription for an antibiotic to fill (just two pills) just as a precaution (think i"m gonna like her!)

last night I felt like I was peeing razor blades and had quite abit of bleeding and have been wacky as anything from the sedation......am just starting to come around now.....and now I just have major burning when I pee which will hopefully go away soon??

anyways that's the update, heading for the couch......keep the info coming girls....am hoping that once this is fixed I will be feeling great! 's!
Unread 07-05-2003, 07:57 PM

gidge, I've been out of town, so I just saw your post today. I'm glad your cystoscopy went well. I had mine done with just lidocaine and ended up crying on the table because it hurt so bad! I'm glad you were unaware of anything going on Keep us posted on how everything goes!

's
Unread 07-06-2003, 11:03 AM

((((gidge)))))) Thanks for the update. I'm so happy all went well with your cystoscopy. I do hope that the burning sensation will go away soon.

Do and be sure to keep us posted on your progress

ps: that uro does sound like a keeper

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register