Has this ever happened to anyone who had a CT scan? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Has this ever happened to anyone who had a CT scan? Has this ever happened to anyone who had a CT scan?

Unread 07-02-2003, 08:57 PM
Has this ever happened to anyone who had a CT scan?

I had a TAH/BSO on 5/14 for a large fibroid. Cancer cells were found in a small protion of the fibroid - non-invasive and well contained. Gyn/onc said procedure was curative and no radiation or chemo was required. He just wants to do close follow-ups. I am not on any HRT..my choice.

I went for my first CT scan this morning. Had to drink that awful tasting stuff. I knew something was wrong when the Tech said to me," you have very small veins." To make a long story short the contrast material that was given to me during the procedure leaked around the outside of my vein in my left arm. It is now twice its normal size. The radiologist was called in and assured me after taking my pulse and checking a few other things that I would be o.k. He called my gyn/onc to let him know what happened. After waiting another hour to ensure that I didn't have any more reactions. I am scheduled to see my gyn/onc next week. Has this happened to anyone.?

Also, just as I managed to stop obsessing about the surgery, canncer, etc. I have a procedure that didn't go well. I am grateful that the cancer was contained and that they "got it" in time. But I can't help obsessing. Does anyone have any suggestions for this problem ??? I think that iIt's time for me to get back to work.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Bigbear
TAH/BSO 5/14- Leiomyosarcoma
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-02-2003, 09:12 PM

My contrast has never "leaked" out, but I do have very bad veins, and it is very hard for them to give me that contrast.

So, I've had them inject me on my hand, that after the CT scan, became a big ball. I mean it was huge, but that was only once, and it never happened again.

They still have problems sticking me, and they always will, I guess. That is why I have a port for my chemo, which I am grateful for. I couldn't imagine how my chemo would be without it.

Anyway, Hopefully it won't happen again. You probably won't need another CT scan for quite awhile.

And don't feel bad about obsessing, everyone does, it's hard not to. This is a major thing that happened to you, and you will obsess about it, and people around you might not understand, but overhere we DO understand. We are right there with you. You are welcome to obsess with us and vent along with us too.

's and ers to you...
Unread 07-03-2003, 07:58 PM

Hi Bear...

I do not get the contrast on my cat scans because I take asthma medications and, from what they told me, the two do not mix, and you can get a bad reaction. So every time I have a cat scan it is without the contrast and all has been ok.

Rosalie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-03-2003, 09:23 PM
Asthma medication and CT scan

I was surprised to hear about the CT contrast not being given because you take asthma medication. What are you taking? I use Azmacort and also Albuterol (as my "rescue inhaler"), but they never said anything to me about not getting the contrast. I have had three CT scans so far. Before the first one, I asked what happens if I have a reaction to the dye. The tech said something like, "No problem. I just press this button and someone comes running." That was enough for me to hear. I asked him to go and talk to the Radiologist to see if I really needed the contrast. He came back and said the doctor said to do it without. Since I was concerned about a possible recurrence when I had the second CT, I went ahead and had the contrast IV. I had no problem with being allergic. The third one also was done with IV contrast with no problem.
Unread 07-04-2003, 08:08 AM

Hi Linda...

I also use the ventolin inhaler (albuterol) and I also take singulair at night. Has your doctor recommended this to you??? It is a fairly new pill, only taken at night, do not exactly know what it does, but I have not had any bad attacks since using it. I do however use my inhaler during the day when I feel a tightness coming on. Unfortunately I do think that at times it is almost like a habit..

Anyway, it was the radiologist when I was having my very first cat scan that asked about the asthma meds and said no to the contrast. I remember when I had the reaction to the taxol and there is no way that I would want that again so I just stay away from the contrast or anything which might set off an unwanted asthma attack.

As far as I know, everything has been ok that way.

Take Care.

Rosalie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register