Endo and Estrogen | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause


HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Reply

Endo and Estrogen Endo and Estrogen

Thread Tools
  #1  
Unread 07-03-2003, 11:56 AM
Endo and Estrogen

Well the doc said no estrogen for 6 months, because of endo. He put me on Prometrium (progesterone) for the 6 months instead. Now it has been 3 weeks since I have been on the Prometrium and the only thing that I can't handle is the hot flashes.

I work in a factory in no air conditioning and the weather is getting hotter and more humid and so are my insides! So I called the doc and he said he would call in a prescip for Vivelle .025, but to continue to take the Prometrium with it.

My question is: Do any other sisters, who have had endo, take a low dose of estrogen with or without progesterone? Do you have any return of the endo symptoms? Please give me any info that you can.

I have not gone to the pharmacy to get the new patch and before I do I want to know if I am going to cause myself more pain by giving in to the symptoms of no estrogen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Unread 07-03-2003, 12:21 PM
Endo and Estrogen

{{{Meanie }}} I know what your talking about. I was suppose to go for 6-9 months with no hormones after surgery and after about 5 weeks I thought I was going to go stir crazy. I dealt with the hot flashes OK but the insomnia was killing me so my doctor decided that my health and recovery was more important at this point and we would deal with the endo issue if we had to when it arose. So at 5 weeks I started 1.25mg of bi-est, 100mg of progesterone and I think some testosterone. We went up gradually from there on my estrogen and down on my progesterone and two and a half years later I am balanced and no sign of endo return.
It's individual. Worse case is you have to stop all hormones and last the 6 months and even that is not a for sure thing. I have seen some that have gone 6 months without hormones and then end up with it again after starting hormones. Some data indicates that endo can make its own estrogen. So its really a crap shoot. The best defense is that your doc got as much as he possibly could and that the remaining will not respond to the low doses of estrogen that we take. Thing to keep in mind is that, the replacement we take is no where near what our bodies produced on its own and most women do not suffer anymore once they go into menopause. Estrogen levels are lower during this phase of life, so hopefully the low doses we take will give the same effect as menopause and you will remain symptom free..
Either way, you have to decided if what your living through now is tolerable and worth taking the chance. With endo there are no sure things. I will keep my fingers crossed for you though S
  #3  
Unread 07-03-2003, 08:44 PM
Endo and Estrogen

Meanie,
I endured years of endometriosis, adhesions and cysts...none of these began to compare with the effects of no hormones!!! I had a total hyst. and my ovaries were removed due to the endo, adhesions and cysts. I went cold turkey for about a week after surgery and could not take it any longer. I began taking estradiol and am still taking it over a year later without any complications.

I can honestly say that I still have pain, but I can't tell you that it is endometriosis. Please don't let your doctor make your decision for you. You know your body better than anyone! If the lack of hormones is interfering with your quality of life, then it may be time to review the decision of no hormones.

Maggie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Unread 07-03-2003, 09:37 PM
Endo and Estrogen

I had endo and my doc prescribed estrogen immediately after my hysto. I started out on Estrace, didn't do so well and switched to a Climara .05 mg/day patch. No progesterone, just estrogen.
It's been over 2 1/2 years ~ symptom free. I've tried to gradually take myself off HRT, with disasterous results. Insomnia, hot flashes, brain fog...
Prior to my hysto the research I found indicated that 40% of all women, that have a hysterectomy due to endometriosis, will develop endo after the hysto. I'm taking my chances that I'm in the 60% and will deal with endo if and when it comes. In the meantime, my quality of life is more important. Some women do not experience the downside of menopause, and if I was that lucky I'd opt to go without HRT.
Good luck!
C
  #5  
Unread 07-06-2003, 05:23 AM
Endo and Estrogen

My doctor had me on Premarin .625mg the second day after surgery and I took it for 6 months in which my endo returned, and boy I thought I was going to die. Rather than take me off of Premarin completely, doctor suggested a lower dose of Premarin .3mg due to my age and bone density issues. I have been taking .3mg of Premarin for 6 weeks now and what a difference it has made. I still have some pain on my right side; however, I do not think it is the endo. I believe I have some adhesions as my side which starts to hurt a few hours before a bowel movement.

Now all I need is a libido boost.
  #6  
Unread 07-07-2003, 05:09 PM
Endo and Estrogen

Thank you ladies,

I have started to use the lower dose patch and so far so good. It is helping with the hot flashes some, but still not as much as I had hoped. I go back to see the doc in September and I hope we can discuss upping the dose if there have been no other episodes. Crossed fingers.
Reply

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register




Thread Tools

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
From This Forum From Other Forums
4 Replies, Last Reply 09-19-2010, Started By tfig
9 Replies, Last Reply 11-20-2006, Started By jahee
3 Replies, Last Reply 05-21-2005, Started By MURPHYBROWN
2 Replies, Last Reply 10-13-2004, Started By Azstrait
2 Replies, Last Reply 08-09-2004, Started By oldtrout
7 Replies, Last Reply 11-09-2003, Started By Boji82
3 Replies, Last Reply 11-01-2003, Started By Robynkorina
4 Replies, Last Reply 12-28-2001, Started By ksschoon
2 Replies, Last Reply 05-01-2001, Started By fitbug
15 Replies, Last Reply 07-20-2000, Started By tmg101556
3 Replies, Hormone and Menopause Central
2 Replies, Hormone and Menopause Central
21 Replies, Endometriosis Support
11 Replies, Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)
4 Replies, Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)
2 Replies, Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)
4 Replies, No Uterus - No Ovaries - No Hormones - Managing Menopause
12 Replies, Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)
7 Replies, No Uterus - No Ovaries - No Hormones - Managing Menopause
12 Replies, Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)



Advertisement

Hysterectomy News

August 2,2021

CURRENT NEWS

HysterSisters Takes On Partner To Manage Continued Growth And Longevity
I have news that is wonderful and exciting! This week’s migration wasn’t a typical migration - from one set ... News Archive

TODAY'S EVENTS

Calendar - Hysterectomies - Birthdays


Request Information


I am a HysterSister

HYSTERECTOMY STORIES

Featured Story - All Stories - Share Yours

FOLLOW US


Your Hysterectomy Date


CUSTOMIZE Your Browsing  


$vbulletin->featuredvideos is not an array!
Advertisement


Advertisement