Is CIN III cancer? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is CIN III cancer? Is CIN III cancer?

Unread 07-05-2003, 02:03 AM
Is CIN III cancer?

I am confused. I have looked up CIN III on many medical sites and have not found a specific answer. Is CIN III cancer or not? I am 31 and scheduled for a hyst on July 31. I had an abnormal pap in July 2003.(Squamous cell carcinoma) Did all the biopsy, colposcopy, and then cone biopsy with a D+C in August 2002. Went every three months for Thin Pap. All came back fine, until last one in June 2003. Dr. recommened hyst as a "preventive measure" because of the speed of the changing cells. I am the mother of two(son 9;daughter 7) and Iam VERY scared that it is cancer. Can anyone answer me fully?
Beckaroo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-05-2003, 09:46 AM
Is CIN III cancer?

I wish I could answer you definitively. I have done alot of research on the matter, since I am facing something similar. What I have come up with is that it depends on what site you look at. Carcinoma in situ (literal translation: cancer in place) is sometimes grouped with CIN III. Carcinoma in situ in my non medical opinion is pre-invasive cancer, meaning that it hasn't gone throught the basement membrane of the cervix, but if not treated quickly will in most likelihood turn to invasive cancer. According to my gyn, CIN III is like a step before CIS.

I realize that doesn't help much. Bottom line is that it is NOT invasive cancer, but without prompt treatment, might become invasive. You shouldn't need chemo or radiation. Good Luck with your surgery and remember to take care of yourself.

Michelle
Unread 07-05-2003, 10:27 AM
Is CIN III cancer?

I worked with a Gynecologist for 3 years who specialized in Colposcopy and with the CIN's you get some abnormal results if you even have a yeast infection. However with CIN III you can certain rest assured if you left this untreated for any length of time you'd have a different picture. My doctor use to tell his patients" This is a preboarding announcement only" he would either treat them with Laser/LEEPs or Cryo(freezing) I can only recall a couple of patients that didn't respond to Laser and were followed up with Hysterectomies. I personally had CIN III and underwent a TVH in 1989 and feel great and hardly had any post op discomfort following my surgery. Good luck with your surgery and remember even after you have your surgery you will still require a PAP test for vaginal vault for a couple of years to make sure no abnormal cells remain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-05-2003, 10:32 AM
CIN III

MICHELLE
THANK YOU FOR YOU THOUGHTS. I AM SORRY TO HEAR THAT YOU ARE IN THE SAME BOAT. MY PRAYERS GO OUT TO YOU. I HAVE HAD SO MANY CONFLICTING THOUGHTS AND EMOTIONS, I DIDNT KNOW WHERE TO TURN. THIS SITE HAS BEEN HELPING ALOT. YOUR INFO SOUNDS VERY SIMILAR TO MY DR. BUT AFTER LOOKING AT THE DIFFERENT INFO, I JUST KEEP GETTING MORE AND MORE CONFUSED. WITH THE CELLS CHANGING SO QUICKLY,(WITH-IN SIX MONTHS)

I AM DEFANTLY GEETING THE HYST, BUT I AM STILL SCARED THAT IT ALREADY HAS TURNED INVASIVE. THE DR. AND THE PATHOLOGIST CAN NOT TELL ME HOW I GOT THE STUFF IN THE FIRST PLACE. I WAS TESTED FOR HPV AND ALL THE OTHER STD'S AND ALL CAME BACK NEGATIVE. THERE IS NO FAMILY HISTORY EITHER.JUST LUCKY I GUESS.(SICK CANCER HUMOR, EITHER THAT OR I START CRYING, AGAIN) I PRAY THAT THE LORD WILL NOT LET IT. AT FIRST, WHEN I FOUND OUT IT HAD COME BACK, ALL I COULD THINK ABOUT WAS THAT I WAS GOING TO LOOSE THE CHANCE OF EVER HAVING ANOTHER BABY. IT WAS LIKE I WAS MOURNING MY UTERUS,(HAHAHA)BUT I HAVE COME TO TERMS WITH THAT.MY MAIN CONCERS AND PRAYER IS THAT I WILL STILL BE HERE TO TAKE CARE OF THE TWO I HAVE. AFTER TWO C-SECTIONS THE SURGERY DOESN'T SCARE ME IN THE LEAST. JUST THE UNKNOWN OF THOSE STUPID CELLS. I WONT KNOW IF IT HAS GONE TO MY LYMPH NODES UNTIL THEY GET THEM OUT. AT MY AGE WE ARE LEAVING MY OVARIES, BUT THEN I THINK WE SOULDN'T. BUT THEN I DONT WANT TO TURN INTO THE PSYCOPATH MY MOTHER WAS AFTER HER HYST(SHE HAD HERS AT 24; WENT THROUGH MONOPAUSE AT 32. CHILDHOOD WAS A LIVING NIGHTMARE!!!) I KNOW THAT SCIENCE HAS CHANGED SINCE THE 70'S, BUT YOU CANT CHANGE THE HUMAN BODY OR ITS REACTIONS.
WHEN IS YOUR SURGERY OR ARE YOU TO THAT POINT YET? IF YOU ARE, MY HEARTFELT PRAYERS AND THOUGHTS ARE WITH YOU.

BECKAROO
Unread 07-05-2003, 12:54 PM
Is CIN III cancer?

Beckaroo,

My surgery is not yet scheduled. I had a Leep and Cone biopsy on June 21st and I go to the doctor on Monday to talk about my options since none of my margins were clear. At this point, my options are another LEEP and cone or hysterectomy. My doc is recommending the hysterectomy, and in fact has been since before the LEEP. But, being 36, I was a little hesitant to go for the hysterectomy without trying the LEEP first (this is my second recurrance of CIN, the first was about 12 years ago) I have a few other gyn issues (fibroids, cysts, solid mass on my ovary) which is why she was leaning towards the hysterectomy before the LEEP anyway.

I have three wonderful, beautiful children (7, 6 and 4) but we had not ruled out adding another. But at this point, I need to make sure I am around to be a mother to the ones I've already been blessed with, so I will probably have the hysterectomy. I have an appointment with a gyn. oncologist on the 21st of July, so it will be sometime after that. Since I have cysts and a solid mass on my ovary, I'm not sure about leaving them. I'd like to leave at least one, but I'll guess we'll have to see. I too worry about it being invasive already. I haven't had a pap in several years (fear of "that kind" of doctor is my only excuse) and none of my margins are clear, which means there is at least a large surface area remaining. My results also indicated gland involvement, which is harder to detect with a pap anyway. So, I'll have a little clearer picture after my appt monday, but still a few weeks away from actually scheduling the surgery.
Unread 07-05-2003, 10:56 PM
Adding my 2 cents of experience...

My "official" diagnosis on my referral is Carcinoma in situ/ Cervix CIN II & III . I had a bad pap and then a LEEP which was biopsied. My doctor told me those results were non-malignant but would not stay that way with the deeper levels of my cervix being in CIN II and III already (this is in les than a years time).
Carcinoma in situ tends to be used to describe the outer layer of cervical cells - if it's spread deeper it's usually treated as invasive cancer.
And, even after having my tubes tied I still morn my uterus... nothing funny or wrong with that - Much as I have cursed it throughout my 36 years - It is mine, I know it better than anyone else and it has been a focal point in my life for good and bad. I will miss it (but not the pain, excessive bleeding, etc...). If you are confused and worried - then why not get a second opinion. Sometimes even the same thing explained by someone else can make sense where no one has made sense before - Make sense?
Hang in ther and good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register