Mood Swings and Lack of Sexual Desire | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Mood Swings and Lack of Sexual Desire Mood Swings and Lack of Sexual Desire

Unread 09-17-2000, 01:18 PM
Mood Swings and Lack of Sexual Desire

I had my TVH/BSO March 27, 2000. I am currently using the Vivelle Dot .075. I have been depressed and have no desire for sex whatsoever. Help! I am only 40 years old! The doctor gave me Paxil for depression, but I don't want to take this long term. My mood is horrible!!!!!
What can I do? I don't know how much more my husband can take!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-17-2000, 03:35 PM

You don't say what other hormones you might have tried, but it may be that what you are taking isn't enough or isn't an effective form. While the VDot is very good for many women, others don't get full benefit from it at all. Also, while estrogen is important for many things, it is not the only hormone we lack in surgical menopause. For optimal health and well-being (including a functional libido) women require adequate circulating levels of estrogen and progesterone and testosterone. For many women, supplementing with progesterone is enough, since your body can create testsosterone once it has progesterone. Others need to supplement all three. There's lots of reading you can do around this site on these other hormones: in the Hormone Jungle dropdown menu, Hormone Jungle Archives, and back posts in this forum.

You should also consider, if the Paxil is not effective in helping your depression, switching to another anti-depressant. Some women find that one will work better than another for them. I believe Paxil is notable for decreasing libido as well (I'm hoping that women who have used it will share some of their experience with you).

Don't despair--I think that you have many options left to explore. You may need to test your estrogen level to make sure it's within the normal range, at least, and you might find that after reading about the other hormones, you would find them worth trying. And do discuss an anti-depressant switch with your doctor--I believe Celexa is meeting with fair success among women right now, and he may have samples of it that you can try. Please let us know what you try and how it helps, too. [blue]
Unread 09-17-2000, 07:13 PM

I have tried the Climara .1 mg patch and some of the lower dose Climara patches. They caused a great deal of fluid retention. That's why I switched to the Vivelle Dot. I tried the .1 mg first and am now on the .075 mg. I really don't want to take a pill unless I have too.
I have tried Ativan and of course as I said the Paxil. I plan to have my hormone levels tested on Tuesday to see if I'm absorbing enough of the hormone. And check the testosterone level. I can't continue like this, it's miserable!
No one prepared me for this side of it!
What's sad is, I work for my OB/GYN (as a secretary). That may be the problem. We've known each other for 21 years!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-17-2000, 09:28 PM

OO.OO That would be a touchy situation - working for your ob-gyn. But testing sounds like a pretty good idea right now. He may find your testosterone levels too low. Good luck to you
Unread 09-18-2000, 06:19 PM

Sounds like the Prgesterone is a good place to start. It really has helped me. Also, I was on Paxil several yrs ago and I went off of it because it affected my sexual desire. It may help depression but it sure makes your sex life terrible. I wish you luck-hope I helped.

God Bless,
Teresa
TAH-BSO 5-2-00

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register