Chemo #3 Scheduled for 7/7 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Chemo #3 Scheduled for 7/7 Chemo #3 Scheduled for 7/7

Unread 07-05-2003, 06:05 PM
Chemo #3 Scheduled for 7/7

Hi, Ladies. Just wanted to pop in and let you know that, quick as anything, another 21 days have gone by and I'm scheduled for the third chemo treatment on Monday. Assuming all goes according to plan (my lips to God's ears), I'll be halfway through with the chemo.

I'm also almost done with the external radiation, although I did get a bit of unwanted news on Thursday. I saw my doctor and he confirmed that I would not be finished with the radiation on Friday (7/11) as my schedule suggested. Rather, I've got two more sessions to go that will bring me into the next week. I know that I'm really on the tail end of this part of the treatment, and 2 more days is not a lot of time, but I was so psyched thinking I'd be done on Friday and am also getting tired of the side effects. Diarrhea, hemmorhoids, itching, skin discoloration. I feel like one of those babboons on the "Nature Channel" whose bums are always seem so exposed, inflamed and swollen.

When I saw my radiation doctor on Thursday, he also "fitted" me for the applicator for the internal radiation. (I'll have 3 sessions of high dose rate radiation.) Well, all I can say is: YEOOWWW!! He and the nurse almost had to peel me off the ceiling! I didn't realize that the vagina really shrinks after the radiation therapy (and it will, even more so, after the internal radiation, too). Bottom line is that I'll have to use a vaginal dilator 3 x's a week (or sex) to keep the vagina open and pliable. After some searching on the net, I also found out that this has to be done for the rest of my life! Needless to say, I was quite overwhelmed and very upset.

After my Thursday visit with the good doctor, I really felt like "How much more is my poor body supposed to take?? When is this going to end??" My Mom called me on Friday to ask how the visit with the doctor went and I told her, "I hate him." After I explained all that had happened, she said, "I hate him, too, Maureen!" Well, I had my hissy fit and my bout with feeling sorry for myself and I'm much better today. I'll just look at all this dilating crap as something I have to do, like brushing my teeth.

You know, I have to keep remembering that this is a small price to pay for a good, healthy life. I guess it comes down to, "What am I willing to do?" Well, in my case, the answer has to be "Shoving this thing up my vagina 3 x's a week for the rest of my life!!!" Either that, or sex, which once all this radiation is over, I'm hoping will look more appealing to me!

Thanks for listening, ladies. Keep me in your prayers for Monday! God bless all of you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-05-2003, 06:21 PM

s Maureenie

Almost half way done with chemo and the radiation is definitely on the wind down side. You are doing just fantastic!!!!
Gotta love your attitude. You hear news you don't particularly like, allow yourself to grieve for a day or two, and then full steam ahead.
I'll be rooting for you Maureen, all the way.
Hopefully soon, you'll be putting those dilators away, and moving onto the real thing!!

karenann
Unread 07-05-2003, 08:28 PM

Dear Maureenie,

I'm so sorry to hear about all this! Chemo is hard enough!

You are always so positive and faithful, and your posts always inspire me to remember God's faithful support and healing through these difficult times. I hope you know that He is helping you through this, too, and that you WILL get through this -- whether with a dilator or fun "toys" or your husband's help or whatever. That "Nature Channel Baboon Estrus" situation is temporary. I know it will go away.

You're right: This is a small price to pay for a good, healthy life. I realize that I have not cared for my body as well as I should have in the past. So I realize that I have to change some things in that regard to ensure my future health. While I wish it hadn't happened, I am trying to look at this all as a blessing, since it has truly changed my path in life for the better.

I've been keeping you in my prayers anyway, so there's no way you're falling off the list now.

Though you've got a ways to go yet, I think you need a !

Hugs, dear Maureenie!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-05-2003, 08:46 PM

Hi Maureen,,,

After meeting you in person, I can hear your voice as I read your post. I was actually laughing along with you in some areas. Here's to a pain free third chemo, time really does fly!!

Rosalie
Unread 07-06-2003, 04:50 AM

Maureenie-
Hang in there. Your treatments will soon be done.

You have a good positive attitude which helps in this fight.

Ruth S
Unread 07-06-2003, 12:15 PM
Hugs Maureen

I can't imagine doing chemo and radiation together! You're a lot stronger than I'd be. The radiation is almost over and the chemo is half over--and I'm betting if you have any cancer cells left lurking, once more is going to do them in. Once it's done--cancer free. Meanwhile, you're on my prayer list. Ellen
Unread 07-06-2003, 12:23 PM
Dilators

Maureenie don't let the thought of dilators bother you ! I too thought ''this is the last straw''... but I'm now 7 weeks
post-radiation and feel GOOD... been at two weddings this week... enjoyed dancing so much.
My dilator is just part of my general maintenance... I don't give it much thought. I was told to use it or have sex 3 times
a week... well a combination seemed the best plan! Dilators work!

I hope the rest of your treatment passes quickly...and the nasty side-effects will vanish.

Love Maggie.
Unread 07-06-2003, 12:25 PM

Maureenie,

Halfway through, and the end of the chemo in sight! Hang in there! And I know that each of us will be saying a prayer for you that all goes well.

I'm 48 hours (at least hope to be) behind you on a third chemo.

I am not on radiation myself, but sorry to hear of that side effect, but you do mention those options on dealing with it.

But, like you I, too, hope that sex will look more appealing to me, and I might look more appealing. But, it has been done. There is an expression here about "sticky legged little woman" (means someone who is bossy). I'm not, but I am literally a sticky-legged and a sticky armed little woman now - for the moment.

Sending you a big You have been through so much, and are so brave.
Unread 07-06-2003, 07:00 PM
Radiation/dilators.......and the nature channel

Dear Maureenie,

I sure do know what you mean about your rear end. I have never been so fixated on a body part as i was my butt during external radiation and the internal i had . I had a low dose implant that lasted for 38 hrs. I spoke to my onc after tx and she was so amazed that they did not have the high dose available in my area.

Sometimes i think these docs just don't know how to tell us the real skinny on all this stuff. If I had known, i would have travelled to were I had the surgery to have the internal. I had always considered my self to be fairly tough..... but i brought a whole new meaning to the word "whiner" after that experience. Sniveling...I could compete at the Olypimic level !!!!
I can't believe you are doing both rads and chemo at the same
time !!!!!

Maggie really helped me with the dialator issue....her nurse sugessted getting into a hot bath and that really helped me. Also, my DH who is a nurse, brought home some xylocaince jelly. I used VERY liberally the 1st few times. It's definitely not any fun..but I was not feeling at all sexual and so it was just another procedure. Things are alot better now ..May 15 I got done with all tx. Except for occasional diarrhea. and those pesky hemorrhiods life is pretty darned good.
I did spent ALOT of time in the tub.. my DD found an herbal prep. called " Bottoms Up " that help with the itching. It's a salve made to help relieve irritation after childbirth. I also used an old time preparation called bag balm. That helped alot.....

Those side effects will go away before to long. Keep your good attitude and positive outlook............
You are in my thoughts and prayers daily....
Unread 07-07-2003, 11:01 AM
Hi Maureenie

That stinks that your radiation isn't finished as planned. You're almost done and are very strong. I definately agree an occasional crying jag can help you get through the tough spots. This is alot to handle and we've had to go through alot of changes in our lives. We need to roll with the punches but allow ourselves to be sad and to grieve.
You are really funny with your Nature Channel comment. I hope things get better for you soon.
You're right about the brushing teeth/dilation thing. It's like health maintenance. When radiation is done, it can be your prescription for fun.
Take care, and thinking of you often.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register