keloid scar anyone? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

keloid scar anyone? keloid scar anyone?

Unread 07-07-2003, 03:16 PM
keloid scar anyone?

Hi

I am now 6 months post TAH I had a midline section (vertical incision) and staples to close. It all seemed to be healing ok but then it just carried on and formed a ridge nearly a cm wide at widest part. I have tried everything but no luck and am now waiting to see dermatologist for possible steroid injections.

Has anyone else had this? If so have they managed to get rid of it? Any suggestions? Please it looks so awful.

Thank you and love and best wishes to everyone

Viv in Cambs, England
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-07-2003, 04:09 PM
keloid scar anyone?

Hi.

I want to know about this as well. I am prone to keloids. My surgeon just brushed me off but I showed her a past surgery scar.

Hope others respond to this topic.
Unread 07-07-2003, 04:28 PM
keloid scar anyone?

Hi ladies! I didn't have a scar with my hyst (at least not one anyone can see, I had a TVH ) but three months ago I had most of my colon removed and ended up with a lovely twelve inch vertical incision complete with staple dots on either side that my surgeon says is a 'bad keloid'.

For two months he had me rubbing it with Vitamin E cream several times a day. That didn't do anything to change the appearance. I'm told it can help for 'normal' scars but not keloids. Now he has me trying the silicone scar patches for three months. In the States there are several brands sold OTC: the one I am using is called Curad Scar Therapy. Band-Aid also makes one. The silicone material comes in adhesive patches that you cut into strips to fit on your scar.

There have been lots of research studies done which say that using these silicone patches can help flatten and fade keloids and hypertrophic scars. It seems to work by holding moisture in the skin there rather than letting it dry out, which is what makes keloids worse. I have been using them for just over a week now, and it's too early to tell but I think it might be starting to flatten a bit. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

The next step, if 3 months of this treatment doesn't appreciably improve the appearance of the scar, is steroid injections. I've also been told that a scar revision surgery could be done, but that if you formed a keloid the first time there's a substantial likelihood it would just re-form another one... not my idea of a good time. So, while I guess I would go for the injections if necessary, I think if they don't work I will just have to give up and accept the scar the way it is.

I hope this helps... please share if you hear of anything else that works!

-Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-07-2003, 07:40 PM
KELOIDS

I developed a keloid from my vertical incision, too. I didn' t realize I even had one...I just figured that ridge was normal for such a big incision ( I had 42 staples)...my gynie was the one that informed me. She also stated, as Surferbabe did, that once you have one, surgery will only give you another or make it worse, so I'm really not doing anything. I rub it every once in awhile (it stradles my belly button) and make a wish!

God Bless!
Unread 07-07-2003, 07:47 PM
keloid scar anyone?

Don't know about this surgery scar yet-only 4 weeks ago but the one from my gallbladder 15 years ago sure isn't pretty. It is still red at times, not flat, still hurts at certain times and is at least 6-8" long across the right side of abdomen. At least this scar will be under my tummy shelf. Docotr told me I could have plastic surgery on it if it bothered me too much and I said "no thank you".
Unread 07-08-2003, 02:01 PM
keloid scar treatment

Hi All

Thank you very much for your replies. I just want to say that I have been using the silicone gel for 6 months now with very little improvement except perhaps a bit of flattening of the scar.

I am booked for an assessment with the dermatologist but appointment not till September, the NHS doesn't rush about!!

I hope to be offered some kind of treatment, probably steroid injections but have read on the net about carbon dioxide laser treatment together with steroid injections being effective so I'll enquire but not sure it will be available in England on the NHS.

I also heard that revision surgery might not help as another keloid might form so don't think I'll go down that road.

Thanks again I will keep you informed in case it's of any help to anyone.

Love and Best Wishes

Viv in Cambs. England

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register