Surgery sched. for 7/14, Scared..terrified | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery sched. for 7/14, Scared..terrified Surgery sched. for 7/14, Scared..terrified

Unread 07-10-2003, 01:26 PM
Surgery sched. for 7/14, Scared..terrified

I want to first thank everyone for all the posts I have read as they have really helped. I am going in Monday 7/14 for a TAH. I go today for my pre-op appointment. I am finally starting to get scared, terrified is more like it. There is so much going on in my home at this point I have just pushed all this to the back of my mind. Ignored it. It seems like this week has gone by in the blink of an eye. Doctor told me I will be in the hospital 2 days unless there are complications. Does that seem like a short amount of time considering the abdominal surgery I am having? Thanks to you all I have a large list of questions to ask today. Any advice you all can give me would be appreciated. I went in the store and bought the pillow...I am still not quite sure what to use it for...so HELP on that one..Hope to hear from you all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-10-2003, 01:31 PM

((((Cindy)))))))),

The pillow is to support your abdomen . just hold it firmly on your abdomen when you, cough,laugh,sneeze,and walk. I also used it to support my tummy when I began sleeping on my side.

Please feel free to post any other ?s you have.

I had a TAH/BSO ( abdominal) I went in Tuesday a.m. home Thursday a.m. . So I did the same as you will if no complications.

Best wishes,

Pamcat
Unread 07-10-2003, 01:45 PM
Hospital Stay....

My gyno said I will be in the hospital 4 to 5 days if I have a hysterectomy, and 6 to 8 weeks home recovering...
Does that sound correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-10-2003, 02:04 PM
terrified

Fear and panic is normal. I keep reminding myself what the other princess's have said, that the waiting is the worst part!

Hospital stays seem to vary greatly. Ask your doctor to try and get an extra- day approved with your insurance in case you don't feel like you are ready to go home yet. I am sure you will do great and I don't think they can send you home unless you can walk, go to the bathroom and eat and drink.

Sending good wishes!!!

Joan
Unread 07-10-2003, 05:23 PM

Cindy,
My surgery TAH/BSO is Monday also. I am also starting to get a little freaked. I am sure the waiting is the worst part. After surgery we should have a clearer focus to get healed. Instead of this blasted thinking about everything over and over.
I will pray for you.
Blessings,
Kathy
Unread 07-10-2003, 05:59 PM
Monday surgery also

Cindy:

Good luck to you! I am also going on Monday the 14th. We are all in this together and we'll make it through just fine. It's normal to be afraid - who wouldn't be. I've been doing really well as far as nerves are concerned, but today the jitters are setting in a little and I've had a bit of surgery before! It's still scary.

Good luck to you and everyone else on Monday and the days ahead for all LIW's.

We'll be posting on the post op side very soon! If we can sit that long

I would also like to thank everyone on this site for all the wonderful information and support I have received.

Best to everyone,

Coleen
Unread 07-10-2003, 07:21 PM

Good luck at the castle. I had a TAH on a Thurs. morning and came home on Sunday around noon. I could have easily came home a day earlier. It's much more comfortable at home and I had no problems moving around on my own. I had a roommate who was hallucinating in the late evening hours and I was absoulutely famished on the pitiful food. It was great to get home.
Unread 07-10-2003, 08:15 PM

I agree with Sheri...
My doc wanted me out of the hospital as soon as possible because the risk of infection is higher the longer you stay. Plus, from personal experience...it is SO hard to rest in the hospital and it is just no where near as comfortable as home. Your doctor should give you good oral pain medications and instructions.

I went in on a wednesday and went home on friday with an abdominal hyst. I was so happy to be home.

take care of yourself and try to relax. we are here for you!

Unread 07-10-2003, 08:35 PM

Cindy,
I am having a LAVH on the 14th also! I have the jitters but not to bad yet. I figure Sun and Mon Am I will be just a little testy! I had my pre-op today and my GYN said if he had to do a TAH he would have me stay in the hospital for 3-5 days BUT he's pretty conservative! It probably depends on how you feel and how up and around you are! I hope and pray things go well for you!
Kris from KS
Unread 07-10-2003, 08:54 PM

Hello all!!! I, too was terrified of surgery, the hospital stay and the whole experience, but am here to tell you it wasn't so bad for me. I had supercerivcal abdominal surgery on May 15 and am 8 weeks post-op today! I feel 100% better!!!

I stayed in the hospital 3 1/2 days - not due to complications, but that is what my planned for me. I was glad to be there that long (The electric bed really helps those first few days), but glad to get home. The first 2 to 2 1/2 weeks were somewhat challenging and uncomfortable, but there was virtually no time that I was in any great deal of pain. I pretty much felt better and better day by day after that. I could have pretty easily gone back to work at 6 weeks (didn't have to - I'm a teacher and took the summer off).

Also, I never had any complications or issues with anesthesia (I had general), gas, bladder or bowel troubles you hear so much about. When I was a LIW, I worried excessively about these things and wondered if they happened to everyone.

Well, best wishes and s to all of you!!!!
-Sheila

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register