Still waiting | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Still waiting Still waiting

Unread 07-11-2003, 08:55 PM
Still waiting

Hello,
I had hopes I would have my path report back this week and had put off posting till I knew more, oh well, here's my update so far.

I cd my Dr. Mon and told him I wanted him to read me my pathogy report. He hem hawed around, told him I wanted to know the exact name for my tumor~
He got angry!! He did not know his partner had already told me the results.
His excact words were, he wanted me to rest and get well and leave the worrying to him. That if he had seen me the day I went home he would have told me a 'white lie' until the final path report came back!
My reply: Yes I am sure you would have, but you need to understand I do better being informed of what is wrong with me not thinking all is okay then to find out later it is not.
I had to insist he read me the name of the tumor! He read it and not one other thing on the report! Then when I asked him to spell the first part for me, he spelled it then got smart and said; now go ahead and get off here and research this and drive yourself nuts!!
ARGHHHHHHHHHHH

He told me the path report should be back by Weds.

Weds was the day I went in to have the staples removed. He was not there, was in surgery. Was td he would call later that eve. No word, thurs no word, by Fri I was mad, thought he was avoiding me!

I cd the office and demanded to speak with another Dr. About 2 hrs later the office manager cd me back and told me the other Dr's gave her permission to look it up. It had not come back yet. I did find out from her that it was sent to the MAYO clinic in MN. She figured out the days and counted the holiday and said it shouldbe back Mon or Tues for sure.

I told her about how my Dr had acted. She was beyond mad! And said he had No right to talk to me like that and gave me the okay to change to the other Dr for the rest of my treatment. She assured me she would talk to the other Dr's at the clinic and there would be no problem with me switching Dr's. So that did make me feel better!
I like the other Dr and would like to keep him.

Well this is the name of it:
Mucinous Adenoma Carcinoma.

I have been doing some research, [yeah done as my Dr suggested and I do not think I am any nutter than before! :-P

I have read good and bad. Mostly good. From the post on here most of these have come back being borderline tumors.
By reading the links even if it is a stage 1A, as the other Dr told me the path lab said, that is still good.

So here is praying and hopeing that when it does come back instead of it being upgraded it will be downgraded to a boderline.
Or at least stay a 1A.
I am also still planning on asking for it to be sent on to John Hopkins and once I know the result will proceed on asking to be refered to an Onc/Gyn.

On the brighter side, I am feeling better and getting around a little better. Today is 9 days post-op, yeah!
Sorry for my posts being so long, I know each of them are like a book! I appreciate each of you for taking the time to read this and put up with me. ((hugs))

Prayers to all,
Debbie [withope]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-11-2003, 09:25 PM
Still waiting

Wow, Debbie, I really admire the way you have taken charge of your case,so soon after surgery. It's too bad that your doctor talked down to you like that and avoided you, but at least you know he's not the one you want and hopefully the next will be better. I too, like to be informed, because my imagination goes wild when I think Dr's are withholding something. I hope it is just a highly treatable tumor and this is all behind you soon.
Unread 07-11-2003, 10:29 PM
Still waiting

Good for you, Debbie! I didn't think doctors still said things like "let me do the worrying". I'll be keeping my fingers crossed and saying a prayer that you get some good news.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-12-2003, 04:57 AM
Still waiting

Debbie
Good for you. Stay Strong & Fight. Some doctors need to learn that we are the final decision makers about our healtcare and have the absolute right to be informed.

Ruth S
Unread 07-12-2003, 06:20 AM
Take charge

I am so glad that you are taking charge of your situation. I will pray that everything comes out okay for you.
Unread 07-12-2003, 06:33 AM
Pathology and Surgery Reports

Hi, Debbie/withope,

I'm glad to hear you're recovering so well after your surgery. You've probably already thought of it, but in case not, you might want to request a copy of your pathology and surgical reports for your information and records. In my case, the reports contained a lot of useful information. In fact, that was how I first found out that my endometrial cancer was surgically staged differently (1C)than the clinical stage (2B) my gyn-onc had given my cancer. I even called up the pathologist with several questions, and he was very responsive and informative--helping me to better understand all the findings contained on the pathology report. He told me to call back any time with any additional questions I might have.

I'm surprised about your doctor's reaction to providing you with information. Frankly, I don't quite get it as it seems like a very foolish and shortsighted way to practice medicine to me. I think you're smart to find someone who is more responsive to your needs.

Take care--

MoeKay
Unread 07-12-2003, 10:00 AM
Still waiting

s Debbie

I am still a little confused about the situation. Are you switching to another doctor in your original ob/gyn pratice, or are you heading off to a gyn oncology doc?
I strongly believe a gyn oncologist is where you need to head with all of your information.

karenann
Unread 07-12-2003, 10:43 AM
Still waiting

Quote:
Originally posted by karenann
s Debbie

I am still a little confused about the situation. Are you switching to another doctor in your original ob/gyn pratice, or are you heading off to a gyn oncology doc?
I strongly believe a gyn oncologist is where you need to head with all of your information.

karenann
Hi Karenann,
I am switching to another Dr in my orginal og/gyn clinic, yes. For my primary care. As soon as the test results come back on the second opinion path I am going to ask him to refer me to an onclogist. That should be the first of the week when I hear from it.
I started to call one myself the other day but thought twice that they probably go by referral?
It has all been so crazy with my org GYN that asking him at this point is not worth while to me - I think as I feel now I would even second guess some one he would refer me to.
-------------
MoeKay, love your nick! I have a cousin that has the same nickname! I had to look and see where you lived as soon as I seen your name, she lives in VA. :-) Yes, the Dr's way's are
foolish! I have gave up trying to make sense of him. It really has been a shock to me, I have been seeing him for 10 yrs and have never been aware of this side of him. :-(
---------
known2b, RuthS,EM, and Shepherdpal,
Thanks for the well wishes and prayers. The fighting for myself right now I think is the glue that is keeping the seams together.

A good friend of mine expressed her concern for me the other day, telling me she felt as though I was taking it all to well. I asked her what would she have me do different? She replied; if it was her at the mere mention of it she would have to been medicated. And her voice cracked, I could tell she was on the verge of crying.
I told her that I refused to cry about this, that no matter what I KNEW it had been found early and that I was going to be okay.

I turn my head and catch my DH looking at me at times, I have caught tears in his eyes! What is with this! It's as no one is hearing me! This has been caught early, I am so lucky in that regard it is unreal. I know this!

Today as I write this into words, I wonder am I reacting normal? I feel as I am. Am I being to hard on my love ones and friends not wanting them to be emotional about this?

Then the rest of the family/friends I hear from that are not acting this way are irritating me asking me every question they can as, what symptoms did you have? Well they found a fibroid at my last exam do you think it could be...., blah, blah, blah.

Okay, so maybe I am not playing with a full deck? Someone please tell me I am reacting normal!

Debbie [withope]
Unread 07-12-2003, 10:44 AM
Still waiting

Debbie,

My gyn/onc tells me that I am the final decision maker. He's right.
Because I am the final decision maker on my treatment.

He listens, informs, understands, and has my absolute trust. I have talked with him about my fears and concerns, ranging from survival rates to how the end might be for me. It's called a dialogue, and that's what we need, not a monologue from a doctor.

Your doctor got angry with you when you asked him for the name of your tumour. My Celtic temper got up on that one. Rather it is you who should have been angry at his attitude, which seems to be the one of keeping the patient in the dark, as well as, if I may say, a sexist attitude.

I have my pathology report, am getting my operative/surgical report, every blood test report, every chemo report on the level of the taxol/carbo each time - everything.

TAH/BSO May 8, 2003 Ovarian Cancer Stage 3/c
Unread 07-12-2003, 11:05 AM
Still waiting

Hi Wild Rose,
Yes sexist, that is the exact word to best describe the way I feel he has behaved! It's as if being a women I am to frail to be able handle any info concerning my health.
Maybe I'll burn my bra in his office. :-) *wink*

I had meant to reply to MoeKay also about getting copies of my paper work. I do intend to do this. I had already asked a few questions about this a few posts back.
I am 10 days post-op today, yeah! And figure it will take a couple weeks for them to get the sugery report wrote up. I was thinking of calling the hospital tomorrow and asking.
As for my path reports I plan to ask the office manager who called me back the other day to send me copies of both when this next one comes in this week.

I sure appreciate all of you here and your replies.
Debbie [withope]

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register