Back from castle again - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Back from castle again Back from castle again

Unread 07-14-2003, 11:35 AM
Back from castle again

I had the foley for 2 weeks and uro removed that without any contrast test. I then had the SP for another 2 weeks and before uro took that out I had the x-ray test where they inject die into your cath and then you can see your bladder and PRAY that it holds....and when it does....out come the SP!!!!!

It was the best day of my life....oh first uro wanted to make sure I could pee on my own so he loaded up the SP with saline and when I felt full he had me pee....it was SO weird peeing like a woman after nearly 5 months.....

Ask any question. More will come up....Lucky for you you have this site. I didn't AND I'm so glad I have it NOW.

Take care Maddy and Aloha.

Renee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-14-2003, 02:16 PM
Hi Renee,

Thanks so much...
I haven't had any pain pills since 3 pm yesterday and I am doing good.. I'm still taking the bladder relaxers & other meds.. I just hate that vicodin since it makes me horribly constipated. And the area around the SP is still pretty tender. So I am playing it by ear. I am also counting the days till the 22nd to see how the xray comes out.

z,
Maddy
Unread 07-14-2003, 08:12 PM
Back from castle again

Hi Maddy

Sooo glad you are feeling better today... I hope you are able to sleep and get some good rest!! I am thinking and praying for you sweetie and know the 22nd will be here before you know it!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-15-2003, 11:00 AM
Hi Karen & everyone,

Well, not too long after I sent my post I had the worst day since surgery! UGH.. My supra really bothered me.. every time I moved around.. I ended up splitting up the catheter bags (they both emptied into one bag) because I had this awful feeling like the urine was backing up into my foley (into my urethra).. I called my URO and told him I did that. I ended up taking 1 vicodin at around 1 pm as I couldn't stand the discomfort of the supra. I can't wait to get these out... UGH

Today I woke up without any pain. But I did notice that both of my caths were still draining.. That was one of the things I was wondering about.. I read somewhere that after a while, the foley isn't needed anymore because it was empty..

Well, sorry to be ing so much

z,
Maddy
Unread 07-15-2003, 11:14 AM
Back from castle again

Maddy,

Sorry I missed all your posts. I hope you're feeling better. I only had the supra and I liked it better but you really can't have anything pulling on it, so it should feel alot better after you get rid of the foley. Try some neosporin around the supra opening, that helps. And keep the tubes taped so they move as little as possible. Keep resting!

Hugs,
Louise
Unread 07-15-2003, 11:41 AM
Thanks, Louise

Actually, my DH thought of that. I think I'll try it...
What's happening is it's forming a scab and gets dried out so it really hurts when it gets pulled or tugged at. I do have both of the caths taped up, so I minimize the pulling..
Thanks again for the advice,

z,
Maddy
Unread 07-15-2003, 12:01 PM
thank you for this post...

I go in for my fistula repair on July 21. I'm quite anxious about it. And I've been wondering a lot about the SP. My doc didn't mention anything about the foley being used too.

But I did get good news today! My doc finally called and said that after review my IVP & cystogram results, he will be able to do my surgery vaginally. I have never had an abdominal cut before, so I wasn't looking forward to that! Quite scared, in fact.

I hope each day gets better for you. I will be thinking of you on Monday while I'm going to the castle and you're off to (hopefully) get your foley out. It will be a day to remember for both of us!

Take care and keep us posted!
Unread 07-15-2003, 12:08 PM
Aloha Julie,

Wow, I will definitely be praying for you.

I had mine done vaginally, too.. My surgery was 3 hours long! But that's because the Dr. called it a "delicate" surgery, requiring 4 layers of stitches. They also took a fatty tissue graft from my labia to place between the bladder and the vaginal wall, so it won't fuse back together again.

I went home the next day, and don't freak out if your urine (in the bag) looks bloody.. It will do that for a couple of days.. Just make sure you drink LOTS of water.. They will probably give you stool softeners & bladder relaxers.. you need to drink lots of water with those... Make sure you listen to your ...

Wishing you the very best at the castle...

z,
Maddy
Unread 07-15-2003, 12:46 PM
Back from castle again

Dear Julie and Maddy,

I am new on this site and I am so glad that now I am not along on this lond road ...

I had my LAVH on 4/16/2003. Shortly after surgery I developed VVF. My repair surgery is scheduled for August 21 because the urologist thinks that my VVF needs to "mature". So I have another month of embarassing leakage and constant UTI... But I've learned to live with that . I am working full time and it helps to forget about my problem. My family is also very supportive.
It took me a month to be able to talk about it without crying... When I found this site - it was like a breath of fresh air for me.

Maria
Unread 07-15-2003, 01:45 PM
HI Minsk,

Welcome to our group!!
I just noticed that we have the same Hysterectomy date!!
I had a TAH on April 16, too... and it wasn't until 2 weeks after that I noticed the leakage. I mentioned it to my dr.. who in reply murmured something about maybe giving me a higher dose of hormones.. I let it go.. and May 23rd, I had another checkup and told him again that I had the leakage problem. He then wanted me to do an IVP and a cystogram.. the works. and sure enough, I had a VVF. I have worn a foley since May 23rd.. My surgery was Monday, July 7, and I came out of the hospital with 2 cathetars.. the foley and the supra. I can't believe they are waiting THIS long for you to get it repaired. What exactly do they mean by your fistula having to "mature?" I never heard of that!!

Wish you well for your upcoming surgery date..
z,
Maddy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register