Back from castle again - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Back from castle again Back from castle again

Unread 07-15-2003, 04:06 PM
Back from castle again

Hi,

I haven't heard of a VVF maturing but that doesn't mean it can't. My VVF continued to get larger & finally split in two which complicated things. I discovered with my dr's that they were just buying time until they thought I was strong enough to handle another surgery while knowing it was getting larger as I waited. I had an extreme amount of criticism from a couple of women second guessing my dr's as to them moving to fast. Now I know that I heal faster than most people. I imagine that some say see we told you so that is why you couldn't be repaired but in acuality I can't be repaired because of too many years of endo growing in & around my bladder. Some day they may have an artificial bladder for me or at the very least a repair that I will feel more comfortable with. I am just not in the mood for another surgery now or maybe never as long as my urostomy is working.

Maddy don't worry about your foley still draining. I didn't have anything in my foley day after surgery because I wasn't repaired but I would think the longer you drain into both bags the less stress you are having on your bladder. I don't know but makes sense to me.

Good Luck & drier days ahead,
Terry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-15-2003, 04:53 PM
Back from castle again

Hmmmm well welcome new fistula Maria. Sorry that this happened to you too. I'm 5 months out from my repair...both procedures done abdominally.

You can see the dates by my tag line. Prob. should update that a bit as I'm going through some other "issues" too. <sigh>

ANYway...

Poor ((((((((((((Maddy))))))))))))))...as soon as I read how well you were feeling I thought....YIKES!!!! Sorry you're having a bad day. You jinxed yourself. That supra sight is very very tender and any pull/tug HURTS. Neosporin, low movement or careful movement as to not tug it....I so know how you feel.
Gosh the first couple nights I was home with the foley and supra the doctor had a stitch tied to my abdomen that was holding the tube...well I guess after I was moving or swelling or SOMETHING that darn stitch was HURTING SO BADLY....my husband wanted to cut that stitch but I wouldn't let him....had appointment next day with uro....guess what....FIRST thing uro did was cut THAT stitch and that soreness got SO much better....still hurt but better....

Sorry your're hurting again.....listen to your body. Maria Maria...ask away any question you will have....

Take care,
Renee
Unread 07-15-2003, 05:09 PM
Hi Renee,

I think the problem is in part that the numbness is wearing off.. plus the fact that I am not taking my painpills as often. I was taking 2 vicodin every 6 hours around the clock until yesterday.. I think I only took one, I took another one this morning (as needed). Gee, it's a hard decision to make.. either take the vicodin and be without pain, but be constipated.. OR, the other way around.. I guess my tolerance for pain will dictate this decision. LOL

z,
Maddy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-15-2003, 07:01 PM
Back from castle again

Hi Maddy

Sooo sorry you had a bad day .. I am hoping tomorrow is better.. maybe it is to soon to wean yourself off of the meds- I remember I wanted to do that asap, but when I tried I ended up in even more pain- don't feel bad if you have to take the vicodin- it is better for you to be pain free so that you can heal- even if it might make you drowsy or .

Also regarding the supra- definately try the neosporin to relieve the crusty stuff around the stictches- I do sooo remember pulling it by accident if I rolled over etc. and boy does that hurt- I used to ask DH if it was coming out- it felt so bad.. I am praying for you and know you will be turning the corner real soon... just getting the foley out will help next week!!!

Sending a big and look forward to hearing from you soon!!!
Unread 07-15-2003, 07:32 PM
Thanks, Karen

Today I used the neosporin and wow, what a difference that makes! Thanks..

Yesterday I had the awful feeling that urine was backing up into my foley (inside my bladder) Not sure if that's what it was, but I kept feeling it, and I ended up separating the caths so they were emptying each in their own bag. That seemed to have helped.

Not really sure if anybody else had that problem/feeling...

z,
Maddy
Unread 07-16-2003, 08:48 AM
Back from castle again

Yes I had that feeling of urine backing up into my urethra and it hurts...you have to let gravity work! I'd usually stand real high on something and make sure the bag(s) were below my bladder real well and the hoses weren't tangled.....it's a challenge!

I think you should take meds.....are you on a stool softner? I still take two a day because I'm still taking darvocets as needed for pain and they are constipating...as well as lots of other meds I'm on. You can buy stool softners over the counter.

I sure hope you have a better day today. You'll have ups and downs for sure....you've been very brave.

Hugs to you.
Renee
Unread 07-16-2003, 11:08 AM
Back from castle again

Hi, Maddy

I noticed that something is wrong with me on the second day after the surgery when I came back from castle. I was urinating with blood and on the fourth day I developed a severe UTI . Called my GYN got another prescription of antibiotic. I was fighting UTI for long eight weeks and was bleeding from bladder. Over that period of eight weeks my GYN kept changing prescriptions from one antibiotic to another. I insisted to be refered to urologist . And finally when I went to urologist and had all the tests - IVP,cyctogramm and cyctocsopy it was too late to catherise my fistula - it has already formed .I am sooo angry at my gyn because my fistula is really small and there was a chance for it to heal .
Now I know that these three simptoms - fever, blood in urine and UTI is and indication that you might have a damage to bladder, but I trusted my gyn... Well who does not ?

My uro did not really explained why I need to wait for another month, but I learned researching on internet that some doctors prefer to wait 3-4 months before they do a repair.

Maddy, I just noticed too that we had our surgereis on the same day April 16, 2003. I wish you fast and easy recovery from you repair and will keep in touch.

Maria
Unread 07-16-2003, 04:13 PM
Back from castle again

Maria,

My uro would frustrate me so badly because every two weeks we'd schedule surgery and every two weeks he'd say I wasn't healed enough.....it ended up being 3 months before he did the fix and I'm glad he waited that long, I just wish I had known from the start so i wouldn't get disappointed every two weeks.....

The tissue has to heal. He explained to me that my tissue was like mush and he wouldn't have any good tissue to make a good repair.

Good luck....be patient. The road is long AND there WILL be an end and the outcome a good one....((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))

Renee
Unread 07-16-2003, 07:11 PM
how are you feeling today?

Maddy - is today a better day for you? Hopefully the pain is subsiding.

When do you have your follow-up visit? Will one or both of the catheters be removed then? I sure hope so.

And welcome Maria to our Fistula Sisterhood. We are quite a group. These girls are AWESOME! The support is the best. Come with any question you may have.
Unread 07-16-2003, 07:21 PM
Maria...

My uro told me that if he would have to do my surgery through the abdomen, he would wait until late August or early September to do my surgery because of the scar tissue that formed from the hysterectomy. As Renee said, things are like "mush" inside. The tissue needs time to heal so you will have a better chance of success in your next surgery.

My heart goes out to you. I feel like I have been waiting forever for my surgery. I go in on Monday - and it can't get here soon enough.

Take care and stay dry!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register