Mayo Clinic next stop | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Mayo Clinic next stop Mayo Clinic next stop

Unread 07-12-2003, 04:57 AM
Mayo Clinic next stop

Hi all;
I haven't posted in a while, but thought I would bring you up to date on whats going on. The frequency is still the same if not worse. The loss of control is worse. I had the cystocopy(sp) done and it showed NO Fistula. BUT the uro told me that it was "long term nerve damage" Went back to the surgeon and was told that,
ready for this? "My bladder looked fine" I asked for a copy of all my records and was told that she (receptionist) wasn't allowed to give them to me. That she would check with the dr. and would mail them to me if she could! I informed her that it is a law that I am entitled to them and she just shrugged and said she would do what she could.
The dr. did say that my mri came back abnormal and that there is bulging in the L4 and L5 lumbar region in my lower back. dr referred me to the mayo clinic, so that is where my next stop is.
??? What do you do if they won't give you your records. I know I should'nt have left the office without them, but the darn anti-deppresants kept me to mellow to pitch a fit. Do I have to hire an attorney just to get my records?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-12-2003, 06:42 AM
Mayo Clinic next stop

I am sorry you are having such problems getting your records!!

You are RIGHT though! It is the law for you to see them and if they wont give you the origional they have to make you a copy. Tell them you want to sign them out.

As for your back, I had the same thing a couple of years ago with the bulges in the L5-S1 and L4-L5 and then somehow the thecal sac ripped and herniated so be very careful... When is your appt?

I know there are a few women here with nerve damage, me being one except it is in my lower back. It is the WORST kind of pain I have ever had because it is VERY hard to get rid of.

I will keep you in my prayers and hope that you will be able to get somewhere with your Dr's office and the records problem and that you get the help you need for your back!!

Unread 07-12-2003, 07:27 AM
Mayo Clinic next stop

Hi,

I have been there with the records. In fact my gyn has lost his hospital priviledges for calling the state review board on my behalf. They were down the next day. Although it is the law some hospitals think they are above it. Well they aren't & by the time my dr & all the attorneys are done with them I am hoping they won't be able to call themselves a hospital. 5 lawsuits filed so far against them. My attorney now has copies of all my records (some have been doctored up (no pun intended) & the hospital I go to now is automatically sending me copies after each & every procedure. I could write a book on this subject. I also recommend every stay on top of their records because what a dr verbally tells them is not necessarily what they write down. Forgot most important, report them to a patient advocate. Every hospital has one or should. They are independent of the hospital & they will get some answers.

Terry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-12-2003, 07:42 AM
Mayo Clinic next stop

Hi Pam and Redapple;
Thanks for the quick replies. I don't have a date yet for the clinic as they (Mayo) are suppose to contact me. Pam, when you had the troubes with your back did it start after the surgery?? Prior to my hysterectomy I had none. As soon as I could talk after the surgery, I mentioned that my back was sore. And then around a week later, the urinary problems kicked in.
As far as the records go, I have to wait till Monday now and see what happens then. I hate the thought of the 100 mile trip AGAIN just to get somethings that I should have been given last week. I only wanted the records so that I could go over them and maybe find something that the dr had overlooked. Now I'm beginning to wonder if they plan on "doctoring " mine up too. Thanks Tay
Unread 07-12-2003, 07:51 AM
Mayo Clinic next stop

I read your post about your records and feel for you, but the new HIPPA laws are driving a lot of hospitals and clinics bonkers. For most as long as you sign a form that requests your records you should be able to get them. Thanks to government we now have even more hoops to jump through.
Unread 07-12-2003, 10:39 AM
I won't be the first one to tell you........

that Dr's DO change your records at their will. My first gyn, when he kept telling me that there was nothing wrong with me and no reason for me to be continuing to have pain, Dr'd up my records when he found out I was going to another gyn to seek treatment.
I got copies of all my records from his office and on a typed piece of paper dated 8-24-02, there was a handwriten note on the bottom of it (a very derogative note against me) dated 8-15-02. Now you tell me how he made a hand written note on another sheet of paper that didn't even exist until 9 days later?????? Dr's WILL cover their butts any way they see fit. As it turned out..I had a cyst on my left ovary the size of a cantelope that required immediate surgery.
Even with the new HIPPA laws, these are by law YOUR records and you have every right to them. Good luck. You shouldn't have to make the 100 mile drive again, you can fax them a release for your records and they can either fax or mail your records to you or your new Dr.

Dawn
Unread 07-12-2003, 11:38 AM
Mayo Clinic next stop

Hi Tay,
I've had to get records from several doctors and what has worked for me was to write a letter and either fax it to them or mail it. Just be brief and state what you want. They usually do need something in writing in order to release your records. If that fails, when you make the appt at the Mayo tell them your problem and they may be able to help you obtain them. You are correct, they are YOUR records and they have no right to not give you copies of them.
Unread 07-13-2003, 01:27 PM
Mayo Clinic next stop

Hi all;
I guess I forgot to mention that on the 10th, I filled out and signed the release form. After my appointment, is when I was refused.
I purposely went in to the office 45 minutes early, as I knew that it would take some time to copy the papers. I am waiting for the mail to be delivered in the A.M. and will take it from there. Thanks again for all the encouragment. Tay
Unread 07-14-2003, 03:02 PM
Mayo Clinic next stop

Your problem may well have been just with the doctor's receptionist rather than with the doctor.

You do have a legal right to a copy of your medical records and in most cases will have no real difficulty in getting then once you have signed the release form. Especially when you are requesting all of your medical records it does take time to copy them all. Copying records isn't the only thing the office staff has to do in a day.

Generally, a doctor will send a copy of your medical records to Mayo Clinic or another doctor at no charge to you after you sign a release for them to do so. But usually they will mail them directly. Occasionally, they will give them to you to hand deliver.

I would advise tho, that EVERYONE get and keep a copy of at least each medical procedure and blood draw, urine sample, etc. done. Just be sure to keep them in a safe and PRIVATE place.

The other thing to consider is your radiology films. They are destroyed by most institutions after 6 years. Especially if you have a chronic condition or illness you don't want them destroyed. At our hospital we can purchase copies of our radiology films at $5 per film or sheet of films. I've had one doctor at a large teaching hospital recently tell me NOT to return ANY of my films to the originating hospital. That caught me by surprise. At least in our state films, etc. are the property of the generating facility or doctor, not the patient, but the patient is legally entitled and can't be refused copies of the records "at a reasonable fee".

I wish he had told me not to return them a year earlier! Unfortunately, some films we very much wish now that we had were destroyed after I returned them to our local hospital the previous year. Sigh.

The bad thing about not returning films to the generating facility is that they are not available for comparison the next time you have the same procedure. If you take your previous films with you for the same procedure they keep them (if it is the same facility). Darned if you do, and darned if you don't.

What I am thinking of doing is making up some labels: DO NOT DESTROY. Notify Patient For PickUp to stick on all my films before returning them.
Unread 07-15-2003, 06:33 AM
Mayo Clinic next stop

Wow,

What an eye opener that was. I have never been charged for copies or my original films as yet. I think I would argue paying twice for something. Just as one hospital informed me it would cost me $25.00 to receive a copy of my records. After I laughed in their face I went to the patient advocates office. Needless to say I didn't pay. I have asked my present urologist to hold on to all of my films I have brought him so far. The originating hospital of one set is sending me threatening letters to return but my attorney assured me that I paid for them they belong to me. And by all means check with your dr regarding your records. If they have an employee that is not following office policies they should be fired or at the very least set straight & apologize to you for the hassle it caused. After all they are only employess & should be working for & representing the physicians wishes not their own.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register