Mayo Clinic next stop - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Mayo Clinic next stop Mayo Clinic next stop

Unread 07-15-2003, 05:20 PM
Mayo Clinic next stop

It varies from state to state as to WHO the original reports and films belong to. In MIchigan the originals belong to the generating facility, not the patient. The patient is protected by Michigan law as having a legal right to copies of films and or reports at a reasnabe fee. So under Michigan law even if you have to pay to get a copy you are NOT paying twice.

I've only once had to pay for a copy of a procedure report. A hospital run by the Sisters of Charity. Snort. I raised holy heck as the charge was $10.75 to do the "search" and $1 a page. I talked to the Patient Advocate, the whole ball of wax. I even requested the name and address of each member of the Board of Directors to write a letter of complaint. They refused. I was told to send 9 copies of my letter of complaint to some head nun and she would see to it they each got a copy. Yeah, right! By then I was so livid I got bullheaded. They even told me that my doctor had no legal right to give me a copy of his copy that he received from the hospital!!!

Interestingly, the other hospital in town was run by a Lutheran organization and I never had a problem with them. Just out of curiosity I went to the Court House, the local library reference department and the local newspaper. NO ONE could find or provide a list of the Sisters of Charity hospital's Board of Directors but it was a simple matter to get that information for the Lutheran hospital.

Now I happen to be Catholic but I have NEVER gone back to that Sisters of Charity hospital! Nor will I! I don't know that all hospitals run by the Sisters of Charity follow that procedure about a person's medical records. I'm just saying that this particular one did and I've had no use for this particular hospital since.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-16-2003, 06:18 AM
Mayo Clinic next stop

Thanks for the heads up on Michigan I think I will avoid that state because if they are charging your insurance co. $1,000 of dollars for your films & then want to charge you to get a copy then shame on their greed. And shame on state legislatures for allowing that kind of fleecing. As for all Catholic hospitals run by nuns being as uncharitable as the one you dealt with I can only speak for the one I have had associations with. They hand me a copy of my films before I am dressed & mail me the interpretation within a week or two. As far as I am concerned whether it is my insurance company or me personally writing a check my body & all that goes along with it belongs to me & that includes films, procedures & dr's notes. If they won't give them to you they are hiding something so beware. My stoma nurse explains to me constantly how important it is for me to keep my updated records & tests with me at all times. In an emergency I could be dead before records could be gathered.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register