Weight gain or weight loss | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Weight gain or weight loss Weight gain or weight loss

Unread 07-12-2003, 09:58 AM
Weight gain or weight loss

what has been the experience of those folks who have had surgery do gain a lot of weight or can I look forward to losing those 20 pounds that I have always wanted to lose?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-12-2003, 10:50 AM
Hi Bowsy,

Immediately after my TAH last year, I lost 10 lbs. (weighed when I got home from the hospital), then a few days later I lost an additional 5 lbs. The morphine I was given in the hospital made me and I didn't eat for almost three days, so I think that contributed.

However, (isn't there always a "however") all I wanted to eat for several weeks after surgery was ice cream. Nothing else tasted good. And I gained that 15 lbs. back with 10 more tacked on for good measure.

On the upside, for the past two months, I've been on a healthy eating and exercise plan, and I've lost 18 lbs.

Some ladies initially gain weight from the IV fluids, some ladies lose weight, some stay the same. Since you'll be inactive for 4 to 6 weeks, you have to watch what you eat during recovery (lay off the ice cream!) or you will gain. When you are given the go-ahead by your doctor, if you can start slowly with an exercise program and eat healthy, you should have no problems.

s,

Lisa
Unread 07-12-2003, 01:22 PM

I'm nearly 2 years post op and have lost a total of nearly 50 pounds in the last year. I feel better, so I'm doing more physically and the weight has just slowly but surely dropped off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-12-2003, 01:25 PM

Congratulations Lisa C! I am hopin to follow in your lighter footsteps...I have lost 6 pounds in the month following surgery.
Unread 07-12-2003, 01:28 PM

I also lost about 10# in the immediate weeks following surgery. But as soon as my appetite returned so did most of those 10#.

But the good news: I feel so much better and I'm so much more active than I was before that I have lost about 15#, and if I was trying harder I'm sure I would be losing more, and faster.

But don't count on this surgery to jumpstart your weight loss, cause unfortunately that doesn't happen.

Best wishes!
Unread 07-12-2003, 02:14 PM

I lost 18 pounds at my 4 week post-op check-up -- I had very little appetite for the first 3 weeks, and had just begun eating normally by that appointment.

At six weeks post-op, however, my appetite returned with a vengence and when I stepped on the scale, 5 pounds returned. So, particularly since it's slow progress on working out, I joined weight watchers (the online version, not the meetings) to catch things before they got out of control.

Oddly enough, I've had no problems at all staying within the program, and don't have the binge-y feelings I've always had. Don't know if it's hormonal or a huge determination to treat myself right so I will be healthy forever and never have another medical problem, but I'm craving only healthy foods and fruits are satisfying my sweet tooth (usually only satisfied by a pint of Ben and Jerry's).
Unread 07-12-2003, 03:17 PM

Nearly everyone that I've seen that hasn't seen me since the surgery says that I've lost more weight but the scales don't bear it out and neither does my clothes. I had lost a lot of weight due to pancreatitis and having to stick to an extremely low fat diet to prevent another attack so, I can't say that the weight loss is from this surgery. I will say that so far, I think when I finally get healed, my stomach will be flatter cause it's already getting dimples in the areas that the swelling has gone down. I know for a fact that the scales at my doctor's and hospital aren't in tune with mine so, I only use mine for comparison. I think I've lost like 5 pounds but then I'm actually under what my doctor wants me at so, he will probably have a fit and make me eat more. I am only allowed 30 grams of total fat a day so, my body is absorbing the fat already stored and that is probably where the appearance of loss comes from.
Unread 07-12-2003, 10:32 PM
weight loss

I want to add my sister in law had a hyst on may 16th. I saw her on July 5th. She has lost 30 lbs and looks good. SHe was happy she had her hyst and I hope I follow her weight loss foot steps. Good Luck to all!!! She went from size 16 to 12 yippeeeeeee!
Unread 07-12-2003, 11:38 PM

I appreciate everyone sharing their stories with me and I hope that I am one of those ladies that loses 30 lbs. and keeps it off. But I am the type of person you put on a migraine medication that most people lose a lot of weight being on and guess what... I gained 2 lbs. My history does not follow me well... so I will think about slim fast bars instead of reese cups. Thanks again for your input, if you have more to share please continue.
Unread 07-12-2003, 11:56 PM
weight loss....

Hello Bowsy...

I am at 9 weeks and I have lost 20 pounds. These all came off in the first few weeks after the surgery.
I agree with 'randir' about the binge-y feelings. I used to swell up with water weight every month and that is gone as well. I seem to feel full sooner and I am not always hungry like I used to be. Everyone has noticed that I look thinner, happier and healthy-er!

I am feeling wonderful and so much stronger than before my hyst.

Good Luck! Sandra.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register