Cisplatin??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 07-12-2003, 12:21 PM
Cisplatin???

Have any of you ever had this drug? I wonder if you'd share your experiences?
Love,
Polly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-12-2003, 12:39 PM
Cisplatin???

Hi again!

I just met a woman who had combination ovarian and uterine cancer, and she went through Cisplatin treatment. She is out of town this month, but I can put you two in touch with each other when she gets back. But you'll have to remind me, because I have Chemo Brain right now and tend to be forgetful.

Did you doctors mention why they think Cisplatin would be the best chemo for you?
Unread 07-12-2003, 01:22 PM
I had cisplatin

I had it last year, for cervical cancer. It was used as sensintizer (sp) for the radiation that I was also having. I did not lose any hair, although, it did make it easier on shaving my legs, (the hair didn't grow as fast)

The side effects that I had were like..... 1) diahrrea which happened around the third day after the first infusion. 2) I felt like I had just been on a rollercoster ride (not really sick per say, just queazy) That was about it, the rest of the side effects that I had I would blame on the radiation--urgency and bladder irritation.

I don't remember did you have cervical cancer??

Also you have to remember everyone has different side effects.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-12-2003, 02:12 PM
Cisplatin???

(((Polly)))

Jane is right--everyone has different side effects from chemo. Cisplatin is a "sensitizer" (as Jane said) which means that the chemo will make the cancer cells more likely to be killed off with the radiation. The studies have shown a much better long-term outcome for women with cervical cancer who had cisplatin with radiation rather than with just radiation alone.

I wish you well!
Unread 07-12-2003, 06:39 PM
Cisplatin???

Hi:
My doc is a pelvic surgeon/oncologist/gyn. He took out EVERYTHING he could find including the 12 lymph nodes, and he found the cancer in the node. He didn't see a tumor left in my body, and didn't see one in my CAT scan that I had for bowel obstruction or anything. That may be a good sign, right? Now that I think of it, he did say something about the ciplatin being a "sensiter?
Love all,
P
Unread 07-12-2003, 07:50 PM
Cisplatin???

I had cisplatin, along with two other drugs. It is hard to tell which side effects came from which drug, but according to the info they game me at the chemo clinic and what I found on the american Cancer web site cisplatin does not cause hair loss. it can cause severe nausea, which is pretty easuly controlled by medication
Unread 07-13-2003, 08:54 AM
Cisplatin???

Hi, Polly. I have a cousin who's a nurse at Lenox Hill Hospital in NY. She did a rotation in their oncology department last year. I saw her before my chemo started and we were dicussing my treatment. When I talked about the regimen that I'm getting (taxol and carboplatinum), she mentioned that the standard at Lenox Hill was taxol and cisplatin. Who knows (although it certainly seems that the standard of treatment for ovarian cancer is taxol and carbo)? As far as differing cancers, my doctors found cancer in my ovaries and in the uterus but no mention was made of anything other than carboplatinum.
Unread 07-15-2003, 03:46 AM
Im on it now

Hi there

I'm taking Cisplatin once a week at the moment, for 5 weeks. Yesterday was my 3rd time. The first 2 were a piece of cake other than stomach problems.... really strange nausea without vomitting and you will need something to help you with bowel movements. In my case, I have none. haha I am undergoing daily radiation treatments plus the weekly chemo so thats most like the 2 fighting each other, one causes diar. and the other consitpation.

I have not had any hair on my head come out, so Im feeling good about that. The nausea though and the very tired and weak feelings will increase over time but the doctor can give you someting, ie. domperidion for the nauseau.

Interestingly you may find yourself craving other foods... for me, it's crackers and peaches (canned of course)

Hope this helps.
Unread 07-15-2003, 04:19 AM
Cisplatin

HI,

I'm an oncology nurse, thought after only 2.5 years at it, I feel like a novice.......did ER for 9 and OR for 2 and ask me about ICU and I'll dance circles around it.........but oncology........ yea, I know it but I work with a lady who's done it for 30+years........so she makes me feel like a novice. But, here goes all my knowledge.................... It is used to treat ovarian and cervical as well as usage in other types and what may be protocal at one place, may not be at another. You have to trust your dr......... depending on the stage, spread of disease as well as factors about YOU is what your given and how it is given. Please consider others treatments and question your dr, but know that everyone can be treated slightly differently. What I want to caution you about it fluid hydration with Cisplatin. The woman who wrote about bladder problems......... this drug can cause irritation to the bladder if not flushed well and having radiation to the area is a double whammy. Make sure they give you a fair amount of IV saline before and after the drug. We give 250cc before and after. We give this drug in cycles of every 3 weeks. A few weeks after the treatment starts you will feel tired.........to what degree is dependent on your body. I'm sure your dr will monitor you blood counts (CBC). It takes a few weeks for any/most chemo drugs to mess with a blood count...........but it will happen. Not dangerous if watched, but it may make you feel whipped out and need to be careful around other with colds, etc. Make sure they monitor your BUN, and creatine.........just to keep an eye on your kidney functions. As far as the nausea there are wonderful drugs on the market to combat that......... we use Kytril, Compazine, or Zofran (very expensive). Each drug has it's whammies.........and ways to combat them....... hairloss is not one I'm positive about with this drug. Like I said........the most important thing with this one is fluids so try to have your treatments early in the day and drink........early so you can tinkle your heart out to remove the drugs bad stuff.... )

Talk to the pharmacist at your clinic or one of your nurses. And remember.........everyone has a story with chemo and cancer treatment.......... you may be similar..........you may be way off......... but you are you.........and don't be afraid to question. You have every right to know everything you want to!

Okay, that's all I got this early in the am before I get ready for work. I'll answer any questions you have if I can.........or try to find out if I can't.......... {{{{{{Hugs}}}}}}}

SunKat
Unread 07-15-2003, 07:42 AM
Cisplatin???

Everything that Sunkat had said is true. I had looked up cisplatin in a drug book before I had started my treatments. And boy was I scared. Cisplatin used to treat cervical cancer is very different. Like I had said before it is used to "sensitize" the cancer cells to be effectively radiated by the radiation. When it is used in this manner it is usually at a lower dose than when given as a major Chemotheraputic agent. I never asked what my doseage was.

It does have its side effects I was told to drink plenty of water before and after the infusion. (Sonic size cups of ice water for me) To reduce or eliminate any bad effect on the kidneys. I did say that I had bladder irritation, but that wasn't until towards the end of the treatments, last two weeks or so.

When used as a "sensitizer" for radiation it is given once a week along with the radiation. I had the cisplatin on monday and radiation monday thru friday. I would have my bloodwork checked every friday or monday. My last one almost canceled my chemo (low counts). But they went ahead because it was my last one.

I do wish you the best with your treatments

God Bless

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register