HELP! Only 5 days post-op and going stir-crazy, | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

HELP!  Only 5 days post-op and going stir-crazy, HELP! Only 5 days post-op and going stir-crazy,

Unread 07-12-2003, 08:43 PM
HELP! Only 5 days post-op and going stir-crazy,

I'm only 5 days post op and while I have been a very good princess and doing the things I should, I would like to get out of the house. As long as someone else drove and I used a wheelchair around the store, do you think it would it be okay to go shopping for a few hours?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-12-2003, 09:05 PM

Judy--
You read my mind--look at my post "cabin fever". I'm only 5 days post op too and I'm bored stiff. I haven't been anywhere either, but just from going up and down the stairs too many times a day (more than 3), I know I have pain. Besides, I remember the car ride home and I could feel every little bump. Not to mention if my dogs jump on the bed and start shaking the bed--don't like that either. I personally am going to wait--as much as I would love to get out of the house. If you decide to wander out--let me know how it went. Good luck.
Unread 07-12-2003, 09:19 PM
Hi New Princesses!!

After I had my surgery last year (TAH), I waited until I was 2 weeks post-op, then started going out to lunch with my mom. She drove, and we sat in padded booths. I would have to sit kind of slid down in the seat to take the pressure off, I'd also get up and walk around frequently.

You might want to wait a few more days before venturiing out. You'll be surprised at how fatigued you can get in a very short period of time.

When you do go out, as long as someone else drives, and you don't push a shopping cart or walk too far (beware of Walmart!), you should be okay. Just make sure you do not sit the whole time, as that can put too much pressure on your internal sutures.

And in the meantime, while you're waiting, check out this link for some ideas on how to beat boredom: https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...oredom+AND+you

Best wishes and s,

Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-12-2003, 09:21 PM

Our Wal-Mart is only a couple of blocks from our house and I was getting on my DH's last nerve so, he relented and took me to Wal-Mart. He dropped me at the door, I got one of those little skooters and lasted all of about 20 minutes. I got home and felt like I had been beat! Trust me, it wasn't worth it! It wasn't long enough to get rid of the cabin fever and then on top of that, I hurt worse to boot. The vibrations and bumps in the car is awful for you. It was explained to me by a nurse friend that after a proceedure as extensive as this, you could easily bruise yourself internally and cause some severe complications. If you find yourself getting cabin fever really badly, have someone set you a chase lounge up outside and that helps to get some fresh air but, avoid car rides. It's not just the driving that causes the pain, I still feel the bumps and I'm 5 weeks post-op. I even did some embrodering and I HATE it! Remember you only have one chance to recover, take it. What you do now can effect you for the rest of your life.
Unread 07-13-2003, 09:29 AM

Hello ladies!

Before I left the castle, I asked my doctor exactly how active I should be during the day. He would not tell me anything specific, other that the fact that I need to rest and walk. I started out easy....dinner with a friend on Friday (surgery was Monday)....I only had to walk to the car and into the restaurant into a BIG PADDED booth! Then next day, my parents took me to the grocery store so I could get some necessities......only there about 15 or 20 minutes. Although I was tired after each outing, I still felt ok. I gradually increased my time out of the house by a little more each day. Tha advice my doc gave was "Your body will tell you when you have over done it." This only happened once....I slept most of the next day!

Take it easy...I know you are stir crazy! I am a fairly active person and still needed to rest after each outing.

Mechille
Unread 07-13-2003, 02:39 PM

I know what you are going through, but please be careful to not overdo. I had my two week appointment on Wednesday and my doctor was not overly thrilled with me, he felt I was doing too much. I had gone to Walmart, major mistake and believe me I paid for it.
I told him he had no idea what it was like feeling like a prisioner in your own home, he informed me there was another prision I would be trying out if I did not behave and that would be the hospital.
It is so easy to overdo, you feel better and you are a little stir crazy and you read and talk to people that moved mountains in three days or less!
I mentioned in a couple others posts that when I told him I listened to my body he told me I was listening to boredom. There are so many smart ladies on here that tell us over and over again that we only get one chance to heal right, we need to listen to them. And believe me I know how hard it is, ask my dh!!
But for everyone reading this please take it easy I know that we all heal differently let your body rest.
Unread 07-14-2003, 11:11 AM

I was told to do whatever I felt like within reason. No lifting of course. I made a couple of short trips the first week to pick up a few things.

Getting someone to take you about in a wheel chair would be a great idea!
Unread 07-14-2003, 03:55 PM
Stir Craziness, yes!

I am just 4 days post-op, and have already been out twice! But someone tell me, since I just had a vaginal hysterectomy, and no outer incision, don't you think I am able to do a bit more? I do have some crampiness internally, and today I am doing nothing. But this is easier than having an abdominal incision, and I know, because I've had 2 c-sections!
I am going to try and do some of those hobbies I never have time for otherwise like crosstiching and scrapbooking. But I sure do know that feeling of being trapped in my own home!
Unread 07-15-2003, 01:47 PM

Hello,
I am almost 7 days post op and my doctor's nurse told me yesterday to slow down even though I haven't been doing much other than sitting a lot and walking in my yard.

Remember, you don't see what went on inside and that even though you mentally feel good, there is a lot of healing going on that needs to have you "lounging" (the term my nurse used) as you have no idea what may be "pulled" when you are out and about (i.e. a squirrel shoots in front of your car or someone spills a glass of water at the table).

I am going for just house entertainment and have three different books started and I just bought a DVD player (they are so cheap now) knowing this would happen as I am a "live-wire". Also, the chaise lounge for sitting outside is a good idea as I sit outside quite a bit but can't really "lounge".

In any event, remember, you can't see what is healing inside and pain pills can mask a lot. Good luck.
Unread 07-16-2003, 02:48 PM

Hello Sisters,

I am 3 weeks as of Monday from a TAH/BSO and I feel the same way I have taken a few trips too. Dr gave ok to drive after two weeks. Went with my DH on trip last week and was tired the next day. Went to get my hair done and the same thing tired the next day. Have my good and bad days. Getting better but still bored.

Thanks for this site I found and all of you.
Loretta

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register