to color or not | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

to color or not to color or not

Unread 07-13-2003, 10:13 AM
to color or not

My hair has grown in to wear i don't need the bandana although it is very short. It is silver/ gray. My natural color was light brown, but gray began showing when i was 30 and i always colored it My mother and many women friends say I should color it, but I;m not sure. . I never liked dying my hair and always did the cheapy messy home job. I like to swim and my hair was damaged by the color chlorine and salt water. Now it is soft, but the color is going to shock people who are used to seeing me with brown hair. Men seem to get more respect when their hair grays, but women in our culture. I also read a study that says there is a slight higher incidence of cancer in women who use permanent dark dye. Any suggestions? The youth group thinks i should dye it blue!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-13-2003, 10:37 AM
to color or not

I stopped wearing my turbans & hats 2 weeks ago. My hair is also still very short but soft & curly. It also has more grey than before. I decided to let my hair alone. I have put enough chemicalsi into my system. Besides, I earned each & every grey hair that appears.

I don't really know if grey hair is a deterent to women or not. I work in the field of geriatrics so I figure I will just look like most of my residents!

Ruth S
Unread 07-13-2003, 11:16 AM
to color or not

My mom says that a doctor she met with years ago told her that hair dye is evident in your urine almost immediately after being put onto your hair. That kind of freaked me out a little bit. But I think I will still color my hair when all this is done. I'm not grey, but my light blonde hair got darker in my 20s, and will probably grow out a dark sand color. I tend to like the color I was born with.

My advice? Do what makes you most comfortable! I think you should show up in a blue wig to shock your youth group. :-) If you're comfy grey, then stay that way. If you prefer your previous look, then dye away! :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-13-2003, 11:32 AM
to color or not

I say that you should please yourself. My story is the same as SirenSongs. Blond hair which I colored myself for years, but got so tired of it that I stopped at some point. Now it's some kind of in-between color and I'm hard-put to call it blond any more. I don't have grey yet but think it might be more "interesting" than what I have now.

Unread 07-13-2003, 11:44 AM
to color or not

s Deb

Do what ever makes you feel the happiest. I had some gray strands before chemo and just used to highlight certain parts.
After chemo it was solid gray. At first I thought of leaving it alone also. But as it got longer and curlier, I began to dislike it.
So now I do a single processing color about every ten weeks.
I guess your lashes and brows are all the way back?

karenann
Unread 07-13-2003, 01:48 PM
to color or not

Hi Debbie...

It is amazing how our hair grows in different colors. Mine used to be dirty blonde and used to hightlight it. It was also straight, thick and one of my best features. LOL

My hair after chemo is now dark, almost black, soft, curly and even thicker. Not only do I hate the curls I also hated the color. As soon as my hairdresser said it was long enough to color I did. I needed to make me happy too. However, I did not go blonde again. That would have been too many processes. I softened up the ugly black and put in "caramel " hightlights. I still have the curls but at least the color is likeable. I blow dry with a large round brush to straighten, at least the top, and let the rest be curly. Not a bad look.

Have fun with your new hairdo.

Rosalie
Unread 07-13-2003, 04:18 PM
to color or not

Rosalie --

Caramel highlights on black sounds so pretty! Very dramatic and stylish! Put on a black dress or black turtleneck (well, maybe in winter) and watch out! :-)

Karenann --

For some reason, I grew some head stubble and a few eyebrow and eyelash hairs between the last chemo and now. I'm wondering: Is this common? Is it because of the antibiotics? Will my hair just fall out after tomorrow's chemo anyway? It's not much. It's just stubble that's not as sparse as that wispy stuff I had on my head prevoiusly. Just curious. :-)
Unread 07-13-2003, 04:51 PM
This is a great post! My hair turned WHITE

and I mean, totally white, a long time ago (in my twenties). I have dyed it sporadically and then let it grow in again. I have found that what "ages" me more is when I look drawn and tired. I would dye it if it would make you feel better - some of you guys do great things to your hair!
But I might wait until it grew in a little more...otherwise you might have to dye it every week!

Anyway, I can't tell you guys how much I love my little bald head. I have never felt so beautiful. I should have done this years ago. It is so freeing to feel the water on my head when I swim, or the wind if there is a breeze. And it opens up my face so much! I guess there is a silver lining in each cloud!

Good luck with whatever you decide!!! I am sure you will be beautiful no matter what.
Unread 07-13-2003, 05:49 PM
to color or not

Hi Georgene

Once I lost my hair, I kinda didn't mind being bald. You are right. Nothing like a breeze blowing on a bald head. Plus I found out the shape of my head was one of my good physical points. I guess that was why I never wore my wig. Actually I think bald women are beautiful and radiate great inner strength.

Hi SirenSong

My head never went smoothly completely bald. There was always some very sparse stuble. My husband used to keep me smoothly shaved. I disliked that sparse straggly chemoed hair look.

oxoxox karenann
Unread 07-14-2003, 12:00 AM
to color or not

Thanks, Karenann. I think my question was more along the lines of growth in between chemo cycles. I was wondering if that was normal. I had the sparse weird thing for a while, but now I seem to have thicker stubble. It's growing in light, which is interesting, since so many people seem to have their hair grow in much darker. I even had a few little eyebrow hairs and eyelashes grow back. Maybe they will fall out after chemo tomorrow. I need a clean head shave, too, but just haven't had time or anyone with a good clipper handy. :-)

I actually do enjoy my bald head somewhat, particularly if I have makeup on. But . . . I took off my Dave Matthews cap while walking the other day, and some guy driving by on Sunset yelled out his car window, "Hey, Baldie!" So weird. I am looking forward to having hair again. :-)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register