Colyte drink | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 07-13-2003, 06:14 PM
Colyte drink

My surgery is on July 28th and i just received the prescrptions I must fill and take before the big day. Although I think I must have read allmost every post in the last five days, I have not seen these concerns addressed.
1. I have a choice of flavors for Colyte. Is there one that is less icky than an other?
2. Was anyone prescribed an antiboitic to take the night before?
3.Also one Flagyl at 10pm the night before.
Up until I got these orders I was pretty OK. Now I want to run away. Haven't had surgery for years and only remember the bad parts.
Thanks for listening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-13-2003, 07:28 PM
Colyte drink

Maude:
I'm sorry to say that, while all the flavors smell quite nice, none of them will hide the flavor or smell of the medicine. I took something called GoLytely. It tasted like the baking soda and water concoction my dh swears by for irritations inside the mouth. Not very pleasant at all. Here's a hint my pharmacist gave me: Keep some minty mouthwash close by and every time you take a dose of medicine, rinse your mouth out with the mouthwash. It doesn't completely take the taste away, but it helps a lot.

The antibiotic is probably just a headstart. They gave me antibiotics in my IV when I got to the hospital. Yours is just being started early, that's all.

The Flagyl, I don't know anything about. But I wouldn't worry. I know how taking all this medication can be a little unsettling. I've always thought twice about taking something as inocuous as Advil. But I'm sure your doctor is just taking the best care of you that he can, so be a little patient and it will soon be all over.

Good luck!
Unread 07-13-2003, 07:33 PM
Colyte drink

Hi Maude Rose!
I don't know about colyte... i'm getting magnesium citrate. I would imagine that it doesnt matter much what flavor you get, they all taste pretty bad.

My preop orders include two antibiotics. flagyl and neomycin. to be taken three times the day before. in addition, i have to take THREE dulcolax in the afternoon, in addition to the mag. cit. at 7 p.m. I'm gagging just at the thought, and expect I will take my laptop with me to the bathroom at 7, and stay there all night.
LOL.

i remember having to take flagyl about 18 years ago, and it made me very nauseous.

I'm remembering the bad parts of my last surgery too, but trying to think beyond that. I remember that day 3 was the worst... after that, the pain was more like a bad ache rather than sharp stabs. This time I plan to be very loud in asking for pain relief - I think they are much more generous with pain meds these days than they used to be, "back in the day".

Hang in there.... it will be over before you know it. My date has always seemed to be way off in the distance... now I am three days away.... OH NO!!!

s to you, and here's some to watch over you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-13-2003, 07:51 PM
laxative

The laxative you mention is a little better if you drink it down ICE cold. Try to have it as cold as possible if you can, and drink it through a straw..that might help.

Be SURE not to use the laxative an hour before or after taking any other meds or it will diminish the effects of any drugs you take.

Stay near the potty...you won't want to stray too far away.

As for the surgery itself, I too was terrified. I'm 2 1/2 months post-op now and feel like it's the BEST thing I could have done. IT feels like a lifetime ago now that I even had it done. The only thing I deal with occasionally is feeling tired, but a quick rest brings back my energy. I feel better than I have in years.

Hang in there hun...waiting really is the worst part.

Rita
Unread 07-13-2003, 08:17 PM
Colyte

I did some research and found out that Colyte is a brand name for sodium chloride. Yup baking soda. It also has some electroylites so I gues I will stay alove with out food. Did any one get sick from the antibiotic with no real food in your stomach. Oh I forgot, no food just liquid to toss. Can hardly wait.
I am leaning toward lemon/lime. Any takers?
Unread 07-13-2003, 08:21 PM
colyte drink

I have never drink colyte but I have drank golytey 2-3 different occasions for test. I found out when I drank a glass of golytely , I kept a glass of ice cold water in the other hand to get rid to taste until the next glass. I am sure after you get through your surgery and healed you will feel like a new women!! Good luck and I will be praying for you.
Unread 07-13-2003, 08:28 PM
Colyte drink

Thanks for the support and info. about the night before cocktail. I don't even like to drink water so I am in big trouble. I will be sure it is vey cold and hope for the best. It says drink on e glass every fifteen minutes but it does not say how big the bottle is. Does anyone know?
Unread 07-13-2003, 08:33 PM
flagyl

it is an antibiotic that is mostly for genitourinary or bowel infections , so it is just another "gettin ahead" of the infection control, good md......
Unread 07-13-2003, 08:35 PM
Colyte drink

Maude Iif it is the same thing my mother had to drink before her surgeries, it is about a 1 gallon bottle. Her flavr was Pina Coloda and to this day she can not stand to even smell anything this flavor, so choose your flave wisely you will never wnat that one again. Sorry for the bad news. I have to take the Citrate Mag and Fleet Enemas myself on Tuesday.
Unread 07-13-2003, 08:35 PM
colyte drink

Colyte usually comes in a gallon jug. Make sure the colyte itself is also cold or drink with ice cubes in it. I know it doesn't taste good but your doctor wants to make sure the colon is completly empty so it won't cause complications in surgery. Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register