8 months post-op...now hypothyroidism??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

8 months post-op...now hypothyroidism??? 8 months post-op...now hypothyroidism???

Unread 07-14-2003, 08:52 PM
8 months post-op...now hypothyroidism???

Hi All! I am 8 months post-op from bso (previous hysterectomy and colon surgery) and I have now been given the diagnosis of hypothyroidism. I know compared to what we have all endured this seems so manageable but I am wondering if any of you are experiencing this??? It is just one pill per day but it is just "one more pill" that I am taking now. I would appreciate any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-14-2003, 10:58 PM

i have taken Synthroid for mild hrpothroidism since for 31 years, since I was 18. I have gone off it a few times, just letting the prescription lapse, thinking I didn;t need it, but the symptoms fatigue, foggy thinking, constipation, feeling cold, gardually came back. The pills make me feel much better and hopefully thye will for you too
Unread 07-15-2003, 01:14 AM
Questions about hypothyroidism???

Thank you so much for your encouragement. I am trying to get information on TSH levels (mine were 63 and the normal range I think is somewhere around 4-10???) and taking HRT??? I am having the same symptoms and my stomach is so bloated that I look 4 months pregnant. Plus I am getting really short of breath and having panic attack- like spells (especially when I am lying down). I welcome your input so much!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-15-2003, 11:59 AM

Hi,
I had to have my thyroid removed ten years ago which automatically throws the body into hypothyroidism. I take a medication called Thyrolar daily. A really good web site to check out is
http://thyroid.about.com which is full of all kinds of information about doctors, thyroid medications, thyroid blood tests, diet, etc. Good luck - hope this helps.
Unread 07-15-2003, 12:37 PM

I'm hypo after RAI for Graves in 1995. I second that thyroid.about.com is a great site for information. It is manageable, but many of the symptoms are subtle. Many times, DH has noticed that I'm hypo before me.

Good luck!
Unread 07-24-2003, 09:17 PM

I'm not glad you are hypo, but I'm glad I'm not alone!

I had my TAHBSO on 7/5/02. In early May 2003 I was diagnosed hypo, my main complaint weight gain and horrendous hair. This has been the worst side-effect of my surgery. I too, was very upset at the idea of having to take another pill every day. Will all of the post-hyst surprises ever end? I can sympathize with you. Too bad they don't come up with a thyroid/estrogen combo for those of us that have gone hypo due to ERT.

My biggest question now is: When do I take them? Thyroid isn't supposed to be taken with anything. Premarin I always took with food in the morning and it never seemed to have gotten disturbed. BUT both are best when taken 1st thing in the morning because that is when levels of circulating thyroid and estrogen are the highest naturally. I have also read that the liver does most of it's work at night so it seems like it would be best to take the Armour before bed. I now wish I had just taken both at the same time in the morning from the get-go and then adjusted from there as this dance with pills is getting on my last nerve.

I read a post here from another woman on estrogen/thyroid and she has been taking her premarin in the eve and thyroid in the AM and hasn't had any trouble. I tried this but my sleep has gotten messed up again and I believe it is the estrogen doing it, so what now? Maybe I'll just start taking my estrogen later in the morning. Hmmm.

Either way, I'm not trying to depress you, I just want you to know you aren't alone. Try to be patient and work with your doctor. The thyroid takes time to get right but once you get there you will feel so much better as I have been told by others.

Patsy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register