size of uterus---normal? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

size of uterus---normal? size of uterus---normal?

Unread 07-15-2003, 07:48 AM
size of uterus---normal?

HI: My pathology report says that my uterus was 243 grams and the size was 11cmX7cmX6cm. Are these normal?

Also, it said the cervix had a large Nabothian cyst formation. I can't find a definition of that anywhere. Anyone hear of that?

Thanks--
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-15-2003, 08:21 AM
size of uterus---normal?

I'm not sure about the size of a normal uterus, but my doctor told me a normal uterus weighs between 40 and 50 grams. My uterus wasn't exceptionally enlarged, but it weighed 700 grams. Was it adeno that you had?
Unread 07-15-2003, 09:38 AM
size of uterus---normal?

My uterus weighed 48 grams. I have a co worker who had adeno and hers weighed 218 grams.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-15-2003, 11:17 AM
size of uterus---normal?

Mine weighed 92 gms. I also had chronic cervicitis and nabothian cysts.... my doc said all women have this condition, but he didn't elaborate on what it meant.
Unread 07-15-2003, 12:09 PM
Nabothian cysts

Here's a medical dictionary that explains these things. I fired up my trusty search engine because I'd never heard of'em!

Cut and paste from http://www.umm.edu/ency/article/001514.htm

A nabothian cyst is a mucus-filled cyst commonly noted on the surface of the uterine cervix.

The cervical canal is lined by glandular cells that normally secrete mucus. These endocervical glands can become covered by normal squamous epithelium in a normal process called metaplasia.

These nests of glandular cells (nabothian glands) on the cervix may become filled with secretions. As secretions accumulate, a smooth, rounded lump may form just under the surface of the cervix and become large enough to be seen or felt upon examination.

Each cyst appears as a small, white, pimple-like elevation. They can occur singly or in groups, and they are not a threat to health. The cysts are more common in women of reproductive age, especially those who have already had children.
Unread 07-15-2003, 12:10 PM
And here's a site with a picture!

http://www.umm.edu/imagepages/17090.htm
Unread 07-15-2003, 02:16 PM
size of uterus---normal?

My uterus weighed 117 gms and I had adeno. My doc thought I had more than one fibroid, but that's what the enlargement turned out to be. Only had one fibroid.
Unread 07-15-2003, 02:20 PM
size of uterus---normal?

My doctor said normal was between 80 and 100 grams. Mine was 675 grams. Oh my.
Unread 07-15-2003, 05:01 PM
size of uterus---normal?

Thank you so much for the information! The info on the Nabothian cysts was especially informative!! The report basically said exactly what you described--about the metaplasia and secretions etc. As for the uterus weighing so much--it sounds like the doctor left the largest fibroid attached (it was on the outside) so would make it weigh more.

As far as adeno---the doctor hasn't mentioned it. What on the report would give me a clue? The word was not used anywhere--maybe is called something else? I will ask the doctor next visit.

Thanks again--this website is so wonderful! And you are so special---

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register